Need help with FP+ selection strategy! SDD & FoP!!

ScarletFire

DIS Veteran
We check in Sunday, July 21; FP+ selection day is May 22! I prefer not to change park days because DH & I are resort hopping; CBR, YC & AKL. We have 4-day, no park hopping tickets.

July 21: no park
July 22: EPCOT, no worries
July 23: DHS, want Slinky Dog dash!
July 24: MK, no worries
July 25: AK, want FoP!

How should this work? I'm a seasoned Disney guest. My kids are grown and we started Disney when they were toddlers. FP's are for two. I have experience making FP+ selections but need a strategy for SDD and FoP.

Thanks! :mickeybarpixiedust:pixiedust:

We check in Sunday, July 21; FP+ selection day is May 22! I prefer not to change park days because DH & I are resort hopping; CBR, YC & AKL. We have 4-day, no park hopping tickets.

July 21: no park
July 22: EPCOT, no worries
July 23: DHS, want Slinky Dog dash!
July 24: MK, no worries
July 25: AK, want FoP!

How should this work? I'm a seasoned Disney guest. My kids are grown and we started Disney when they were toddlers. FP's are for two. I have experience making FP+ selections but need a strategy for SDD and FoP.

Thanks! :mickeybarpixiedust:pixiedust:

I think SDD at +2 is going to be challenging, so definitely try for that first - you might get lucky since you only need two. FOP at +4 should be fine and I would try for that second. You would have a greater chance if you were willing to swap your DHS and AK days, but if you aren't, just be on at 7:00 and hope for the best. If you don't get SDD, you can keep checking and try for day of.

I'd flip the HS and AK days. FoP is easier to get than Slinky.

ETA: I checked the Dibb and there are afternoons available for Slinky on that date.

Go for Slinky first but at +2, you'll be lucky to even get it at all and if you do, it will be at night. I would move DHS day to later in the trip.

I agree with switching the AK and DHS days if possible. Either way, try for SDD first and be prepared for an evening time. We are there 7/9-16 and I made mine not too long ago- I was able to get FOP on 60+5 with no issue (9:30 am) but had no availability for SDD on 60+2 and only evening times on 60+4. We are a party of 3. Our plan is to end the night in TSL, and hope that the 7:45-8:45 time slot will allow us to ride, do AS2 and TSMM standby, and then finish off the night with a final standby ride on SDD. That means we will miss the nighttime shows, but we're OK with that.

Also a heads-up that TOT is running at half capacity due to a refurb, so it will also be more difficult to get. I was able to get one for 60+4, but not at all on 60+2. I was not prepared for that!

Agree with PP - have friends going 7/7 - 7/13 who also have HS at 60 + 2, and could not get SDD, so if that is biggest priority you would have to switch. Also that is one that rarely comes up later, and even day of - I have recently helped several people on band trips and senior trips who couldn't make FP till 30 days, so obviously couldn't get FoP or SDD, but I was able to help them get FoP, especially day of, but SDD never came up once, even for single person. Those that went on anyway waited standby for an hour.

If you don't want to switch, understandable with how you coordinated your split stay with parks, you can just watch wait tines to jump in line for standby or do it late night if Fantasmic or SW show are not a priority for you, since you have been many times before. My friends who are going on 7/7 who couldn't get SDD FP luckily have a second evening at HS, so will jump in line before closing on that day.

I want visit DHS while at YC and DAK while at AKL; that's why my days are inflexible. I'm gonna try to flip the resort stays if there's availability.

Nothing available. We're staying Club Level and there are no more discounted rooms.

Any success with Slinky Dog Dash at rope drop? I wasn't planning on rope drop but will make an exception.

Nothing available. We're staying Club Level and there are no more discounted rooms.

Any success with Slinky Dog Dash at rope drop? I wasn't planning on rope drop but will make an exception.
I'm going by the EasyWDW site- it seems if you get there no less than an hour ahead you can be at the front of the pack and get through the line fine. Josh did a report on rope drop earlier this week, I think. It shows the crowd building and what happens once you enter DHS (where you are held, how CMs move you through, etc.). If you are really set on doing SDD at rope drop, I'd read his report and try to follow his advice. Walking from YC to DHS early should help give you an advantage.

You're better off jumping in line right at park close. RD is insane for Slinky.

I'd also vote for park close over rope drop. You can get in line up until park close and the waits are typically less than posted at that time.

With two adults, rope drop will be easier for you than for those with kids, especially with strollers. But I would be through security at least an hour early and be prepared to walk fast.

I think SDD at +2 is going to be challenging, so definitely try for that first - you might get lucky since you only need two. FOP at +4 should be fine and I would try for that second. You would have a greater chance if you were willing to swap your DHS and AK days, but if you aren't, just be on at 7:00 and hope for the best. If you don't get SDD, you can keep checking and try for day of.
And if you don't get a fp, wait til park closing. Get in line right before it closes and you probably will have a shorter wait. We did not have a fp for SDD the week following Easter. DHS closed at 8:30, we got in line at 8:05, which was earlier than I had planned, we were getting off at 8:30. I thought a 25 minute wait including ride time was good!

FOP+ - when they extended our June hours I scored a FOP FP for my arrival day.
So, we arrive on Sun Jun 2, and the Disney Hours said 9pm close for weeks and weeks, then on May 10th, Disney changed the operating hours from 9pm close to 11pm close, and when they extended operating hours they added more FOP FP+. So I was able to switch my Navi River FP for a FOP FP for 8pm that evening.

Drop down menu in upper right corner then Theme Park Planning and Tools then other planning tools the Fast Pass Availability

Am I crazy to consider spending money on Early Morning Magic in order to eliminate the stress of getting SDD?
My 60 days was last week and was not able to get a FP for it and have been thinking maybe EMM would be the way to go.
Or one of our nights we are at HBD for dinner at 7:00 I guess we could head over to SDD and get in line after that and save the money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter