Need help with camera selection

mom2kazkids

DIS Veteran
I would like to get a new camera, and am trying to decide on a new camera. I am thinking that I want to get a digital one and maybe also a photo printer. I do have a cheaper and older Olympus D-560 that I got a few years ago for listing on EBAY, and I will be honest that I am not sure of everything that it can do.

I have realized reading this board that I need more megapixals as it is 3.2. I am planning on scrapbooking more now that our basement is finished and I will have a work area down there, that is why I think that I want a printer.

What I would like in the camera is setting to be able to take pictures of Wishes and also the castle lit up at night. I tried with my regular 35mm camera last time, and nothing turned out. I also need a camera that is easy to use, as I am not the most electronically smart person out there.

Also what is the best setting size to use, when you want to print out pictures that are 4x6, and what size memory card(s) should I get.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barb

In all honestly, I wouldn't get a new camera just for more megapixels. 3.2 is plently for snapshots and 4x6's. Read your manual, get some books, and experiment a lot with the camera you have. Only upgrade if you know there is something you know you need your camera doesn't have.

As for printing, it's now become extemely easy to get prints made without printing them yourself. You pop into the local drugstore/Walmart, put your memory chip in the machine, pick the photos you want, and pick them up a couple hours later. It's cheaper than printing yourself, and the quality will usually be higher.

Of course, if you want to get a new camera, or start printing yourself because you think it would be fun, that's cool too. Just don't think you need to do so.

If you want to take pictures of fireworks and building at night, a tripod is much more important than the camera. You also want to start experimenting with the manual options on your camera.

A low light or night time setting on the camera should allow you to capture fireworks pictures and most cameras have that regardless of the age. I have to agree with Salmoneous that unless you want to play with printing yourself or if you want to print to specialized papers or at odd sizes then I would use services such as local stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Walgreens, etc. Most run ads where you can get 4x6 prints for $0.15 - $0.20 each which is very competitive compared to the ink and paper costs of a home set up. Of course with a home printer you have much more control of the finished product so there is something to be said for that. I am currently working on creating a series of prints on watercolor paper and using filters within Photoshop to give the illusion of painting to some of my landscapes. This would not be possible at Best Buy for example so home printing is required for this assignment. But for scrapbooking and other things, my wife Trina takes the pictures to Best Buy for prints (it's sad that they know her by name at the photo lab there).

Jeff

I would go for an Olympus stylus for a digital, great prices, great product. They also have Olympus printer. I just got a P-10 and it prints only 4x6's and it costs about 50 cents a print but no gas spent and no chance on buying something while you're there....LOL!

We just picked up a Samsung 7.0 megapixel at Target for $188. It doesn't have alot of bells and whistles but it seemed like a good deal for 7 mp for what we use it for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter