Need Help Traveling with College Freshman. When to Go??

I appreciate the feedback. I think you are all quite right about no use really planning until I know what school she will be attending.

I am slightly amused at the righteous indignation though at a simple question I clearly knew the answer to when I posted. Thanks for confirming so strongly what a jerk I am setting her down the path to probable drug addiction and white trashness for wanting to take her to Disney World! Particularly the post almost suggesting I would abduct my sister in law's child from class. Lighten up people.
I didn't see/read any posts that should make you feel "white trashiness or drug addiction" was the next step but we all read things as we choose. I just saw people expressing their opinions as you requested they do.
Uhmmmmmmmmm .....whatever and enjoy your slight amusement.

Oh, please. If you "clearly knew the answer when you posted", why bother to post? Some of us take a college education very seriously. I hope your niece does, too.

Why bother to post?

I got the advice I was looking for. It's too far out and until I know what calendar to look at I shouldn't bother was the prevailing answer.

I guess the condescending tones and implied 'you are the devil' replies kind of stung.

I am simply trying to plan a trip to take her and my family to a place that I know she can't get to in her current situation.

I didn't see/read any posts that should make you feel "white trashiness or drug addiction" was the next step but we all read things as we choose. I just saw people expressing their opinions as you requested they do.
Uhmmmmmmmmm .....whatever and enjoy your slight amusement.

O'rly? Does this sound familiar?

"One. I would be really peeved at any sibling of mine who invited one of my children on a possible "Lets cut class" vacation without discussing the scheduling with me first. It would be a...slap in the face to the values we grew up with and I would wonder what the heckenspeck was wrong with her. Big time. We come from an immigrant family that stressed education as the future for several generations."

You don't even know me. How would you presume to think I would not discuss it with her mother first. How the heck did you even jump to that conclusion?

O'rly? Does this sound familiar?

"One. I would be really peeved at any sibling of mine who invited one of my children on a possible "Lets cut class" vacation without discussing the scheduling with me first. It would be a...slap in the face to the values we grew up with and I would wonder what the heckenspeck was wrong with her. Big time. We come from an immigrant family that stressed education as the future for several generations."

You don't even know me. How would you presume to think I would not discuss it with her mother first. How the heck did you even jump to that conclusion?
You read more into my thoughts than intended. You never mentioned discussing the idea/importance of your sibling's thought; an oversight on your behalf that lead others to point the obviousness out.

Further you assumed that everyone answering your thread was of your ethnicity/race and knew what it meant to suffer "white trashiness".
Wrong.
People across the world have strong feelings about schooling for their children.
You are correct in stating I don't even know you. Of course this is the internet and you don't know me either:flower1:.

Finally, I initially wondered if you were talking about an airport or just spelt something wrong. Then I realised "O'rly" must mean "Oh really" in txt msg communication.
Thanks for teaching me something new.

Last edited:
First off, you didn't say one word about discussing the trip with her parents. Secondly, you didn't show much respect for her schooling, or for the person who is paying for that schooling, by mentioning skipping a few days. If she's truly from a less-privileged background, I would think that her education would be of the highest priority--it's her ticket out. She needs that, much more than she needs a trip to Disney World.

I saw no condescending tones. I wonder if, because you homeschool, you're not as mindful of following school schedules to arrange trips. That's not meant as any kind of criticism, just pointing out that you may look at things differently. The homeschoolers I know are very adept at saying, "Oh, we'll just make up the days later" without much thought--including a lovely young lady in DD's dance school who will be doing school until the end of this month (but had a fabulous trip to Europe last Sept.).

Lastly, I had to agree with the PP--I had no idea what "O'rly" was supposed to mean. I thought it was a reference to a place that I didn't get. I'm probably showing my age here, but even when I text, I type out the entire word.

I dunno, I guess when someone is asking me a question and doesn't remember to give me every single detail I don't assume the absolute worst things about that person's intentions.

I am sorry for my prickly responses. I just felt attacked. I do appreciate the advice.

Yes O'rly is an internet meme. I am 45 but then again I work in IT and these things just have a way of coming to you in that world.

oreally.jpg

o-rly

Attachments

• oreally.jpg
    oreally.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 3
My family and I have been to WDW 2x now. We home school our children so we have the luxury of scheduling trips as we please. Typically we arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Fast forward to 2019... we want to go for a 7day trip and this time we want to take my niece who has never been. She will be starting her senior year in HS in Fall of 2018 and by the time we would normally go she will be enrolled in college hopefully.

I would love to go with lower crowds and cooler temps. I looked at the college calendar for a few state colleges and they seem to be somewhat different. It looks like however the only viable time with cooler temps would be the week before Christmas in 2019. However it is more expensive and Star Wars land should be open by then creating what i think will be monster crowds for the whole resort.

My next thought would be January but it appears most colleges are back in session the Monday after New Years which i think in 2019 is Jan 4? Outside of summer and spring break do college kids get any other week long breaks?

What about the flip side.. of this question. I am paying her way. Is it right for me to ask her to ditch classes if she wants to go? (That sounds horrible now that i type it) Can the average college freshman skip 2 to 3 days of classes? Its been 25 years since I was in college and back then the professors could have cared less if I showed up or not. Most provided a course calendar i think that showed what assignments had to be turned in or chapters covered etc...

Can someone with some college age children give me some advice please :)

Hi, I'm a college student, going to be a senior in the upcoming school year and I attend a State University. The best time to go is as soon as she gets out in early-mid May when most northern U.S schools are still in session, making the parks a little less crowded. Your other option would be rosh hashanah weekend (but I wouldn't ask her to miss more than 1 day of school, which would allot her 4 days total). I'm going to be honest with you, and I mean this in the most respectful way possible. Missing class in college IS a big deal. This isn't high school where the teachers could get in trouble for a student missing work, etc. In college the premise is that YOU the student are paying professors, $$$$ for college supplies, dorm options, and plenty of other fees. While it may not seem like a big deal on the surface, your niece would miss a class with info that could be on her final exam. Even with the best case scenario that she finds a friend to take notes for her, speaks to her professors and they are willing to assist her, she will miss out on crucial info that sometimes is unintentionally only mentioned once (verbal lecture). From my personal experience, I would say no and keep in mind some professors count attendance as a part of the class grade. And yes, I have seen students first hand fail courses simply due to attendance. I hope this helps.

Another option OP is to go during her Spring Break. Of course that really does depend, up here the non college school kids don't have Spring Break at the same time as colleges so WDW may not be super crowded then. I have no idea what southern school schedules are like though.

My son just finished his freshman year of college. This year, we're going to Orlando over Thanksgiving week. It will be more expensive and crowded, but it also lines up with my time off since I work at a school.

College schedules can differ quite a bit. My son started in mid-August and was home by May 11. His school is on a semester schedule. His friend, whose college is on a quarter system, didn't leave until the end of September and still hasn't come home for the summer. Also, my son's spring break was several weeks earlier than mine. And another friend on a semester schedule was just getting home for his break the day before my son went back after his.

I think it will be best to see where you niece ends up going to college. The schedules for every can school vary so much.

I teach at a university. I do not recommend skipping college courses for a trip, especially if a quiz, test, or exam are close. Of course, some students skip class for a variety of reasons, none of which are any of my business. They are adults and if they can make up the work then they should do as they please. I am always available during office hours to help those who missed class. Once you get behind, it can be difficult to catch up.

As far as breaks, most of the universities in our area have a winter session in January. Students who only take fall and spring classes are off for most of January. I would take her on her spring break or winter break. Many of the colleges follow a different spring break than the elementary schools, so you may luck out with crowds. If she has a break in January, I would go then. Most colleges around here also end in mid-May, so after final exams you could beat the summer crowd. I hear May is a wonderful time to travel to Disney.

I am not judging you for asking the question about asking her to miss classes. When my own children were younger, I took them out of school to go to Disney because I am off that month, and it is a fabulous time to go! :) For our family, we are now only planning trips during the hot, busy summer months or equally busy holiday breaks. I don't want my middle schooler and soon-to-be upper elementary student missing school.

I appreciate the feedback. I think you are all quite right about no use really planning until I know what school she will be attending.

I am slightly amused at the righteous indignation though at a simple question I clearly knew the answer to when I posted. Thanks for confirming so strongly what a jerk I am setting her down the path to probable drug addiction and white trashness for wanting to take her to Disney World! Particularly the post almost suggesting I would abduct my sister in law's child from class. Lighten up people.

Oh my gosh, this is a little over the top.

I will post from my own perspective as an adult who returned to college, and planned a vacation before I had finalized my return. Never again. It was fun while it lasted, but the consequences were pretty tough when I returned. I won't say that I did not catch up, I did, however I was struggling the rest of the semester. I was pretty invested in my grades, and did not want to squander my education but passing, so trying to get myself back to speed was very difficult. I did not plan another trip while classes were in session again.

Why bother to post?

I got the advice I was looking for. It's too far out and until I know what calendar to look at I shouldn't bother was the prevailing answer.

I guess the condescending tones and implied 'you are the devil' replies kind of stung.

I am simply trying to plan a trip to take her and my family to a place that I know she can't get to in her current situation.

I think it goes deeper than just looking at her calendar when it is available. Many students have work that is assigned during a break, and that needs to be taken into account as well. I honestly believe that since you homeschool and have the luxury of creating your own school calendar, you might not have a true appreciation of what classes are like for many students outside of the homeschool environment. I am not trying to be condescending or judgmental, however I do believe that college students are under time constraints that students who homeschool are not subject to.

First off, you didn't say one word about discussing the trip with her parents. Secondly, you didn't show much respect for her schooling, or for the person who is paying for that schooling, by mentioning skipping a few days. If she's truly from a less-privileged background, I would think that her education would be of the highest priority--it's her ticket out. She needs that, much more than she needs a trip to Disney World.

I saw no condescending tones. I wonder if, because you homeschool, you're not as mindful of following school schedules to arrange trips. That's not meant as any kind of criticism, just pointing out that you may look at things differently. The homeschoolers I know are very adept at saying, "Oh, we'll just make up the days later" without much thought--including a lovely young lady in DD's dance school who will be doing school until the end of this month (but had a fabulous trip to Europe last Sept.).

True

I just read through this thread. I think you're the one who needs to "lighten up". I don't see where anyone said anything about drug addiction, trash ("white trash" as you declared-racist much?), or child abduction.

This issue of when to go is yours, not your niece's. She's got a wonderful opportunity to set herself up for a successful future career, yet you would consider having her miss class to go to Disney World so you don't have to be hot in the summertime? Wow, that's too much to ask.

Best of luck to your niece as she makes her college choice.

My family and I have been to WDW 2x now. We home school our children so we have the luxury of scheduling trips as we please. Typically we arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Fast forward to 2019... we want to go for a 7day trip and this time we want to take my niece who has never been. She will be starting her senior year in HS in Fall of 2018 and by the time we would normally go she will be enrolled in college hopefully.

I would love to go with lower crowds and cooler temps. I looked at the college calendar for a few state colleges and they seem to be somewhat different. It looks like however the only viable time with cooler temps would be the week before Christmas in 2019. However it is more expensive and Star Wars land should be open by then creating what i think will be monster crowds for the whole resort.

My next thought would be January but it appears most colleges are back in session the Monday after New Years which i think in 2019 is Jan 4? Outside of summer and spring break do college kids get any other week long breaks?

What about the flip side.. of this question. I am paying her way. Is it right for me to ask her to ditch classes if she wants to go? (That sounds horrible now that i type it) Can the average college freshman skip 2 to 3 days of classes? Its been 25 years since I was in college and back then the professors could have cared less if I showed up or not. Most provided a course calendar i think that showed what assignments had to be turned in or chapters covered etc...

With college so much of the class can depend on how the professor structures it in which case your niece wouldn't even know until she enrolled in the class and started it.

I had classes where the professor didn't really talk about anything new in class and posted notes online. I had professors who would do fill in the blank notes so attendance was needed. I had professors that gave no pre-notes and you were expected to take notes on what you wanted.

As far as skipping class it really depends on how the particular classes are structured. None of my semesters were the same with the classes-meaning I would have a mix of classes where my grade was comprised only of 4 to 5 tests and some that had tests and papers to write. Inheritantly skipping class is really her choice. Did I skip class at times? You bet I did but that was my choice. I'm not going to pretend I was a perfect college student because I wasn't. I still however took college overall seriously. Professors that I had didn't hold your hand.

All that being said your niece needs to drive the narrative as far as college courses and vacation time. It's something she won't have a clue about now and won't have a clue about until college starts (assuming she does in fact go to college).

What could be a viable option is planning the trip with the expectation that she doesn't go with you. And to be honest..as harsh as it could sound..you don't know and she may not know if she would actually want to go to WDW if she's in college. Another destination may be calling her or no vacation at all.

The best advice I can give you is plan your trip as you normally would keeping the door open for future possibilities with your niece but understanding that she may not go at all. If her not going means you don't want to go at all then my best advice in that situation is to plan on not going at all.

Be aware that missing the first few days of a class at the start of a semester, can not only give her issues catching up, she may be dropped from the class entirely, especially if there is a wait list for that class. NO show can lose there spot in class to wait list people who show up and are counted in attendance.

You will absolutely need to wait to book until you know her college break schedule. That being said, many many colleges are off until mid January. If that ends up being the case for your niece, I would suggest the week before she returns to classes- like maybe 1/4-1/11.

Until you know her schedule I wouldn't worry. Start by asking her when her dates are. She may have a long break between Christmas and when she goes back in January. Some schools have as much as a month off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!