Need help, lot of help, with making "chocolate" lollipops/ pretzels

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
Hi. If I may, I have about a million question on using wiltons candy melt and Nestle toll house chips. I am very very new to this.

Last week at " grandma camp", we did lollipops using the wilton melts and running to microwave a lot. We used small baggies of various colors. It turned out somewhat frustrating for the kids, because they had to sit and wait while the needed color was heated. We also did cake pops. Could not get the melts to flow like you see on videos. I tried adding coconut oil but was afraid to add too much and not have it set. So we sort of spooned and dipped. Jimmies/sprinkles hide a lot. LOL

This week I saw a 60% off coupon at Joann's fabric, so I bought the wilton melting pot for $12. Yesterday I melted toll house chips. And they were smooth and liquid , but more like soft frosting. I could hold up a spoonful and it just sat there or globed off, not a ribbon or sheeting of chocolate. It took hours for the pretzels to dry. The chocolate is soft, but not sticking to fingers or wax paper. (right now it's about 74 in the house.) As a test I added some coconut oil and it did flow is bit better, but not like videos and this morning (15 hrs later) they are still gooey.

This morning I tried the wilton melts (white), they melted up quickly but not flowing. Tried a few pretzels and they dried fairly quickly. Add a touch of coconut oil and helped a tiny bit, tried pretzels and those also dried but stayed soft.

What am I doing wrong?

I also wanted to try with the grandkids, just melting up a pot of white and letting them mix up colors in small batches (2-3 ozs) in small cups as needed. I know you need the oil based food coloring. I have a warming plate that you heat in the microwave. I thought they could mix up the color and leave the little cups on the warming plate to keep it fluid.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

O my goodness you have patience of a saint. I have literally Never had any issue with using a pot of hot, not boiling water on a stove with a pie pan atop it, melting Wilton wafers.
Then dipping pretzels into it using a fork type thingy and placing on wax paper, which sat atop a sheet pan. Then I pop the whole thing into free and it hardened. Often drizzling other colors over them after hardening, or dipping them in sprinkles, crushed nuts etc.
I've used small glass bowls in micro to melt and that works too but I often do one "type" at a time assembly line style so prefer stove top.
Hope the kiddos appreciate all your efforts as they devour the yummy treats!
I've literally never added an oil ever.
I used to make lots for holiday gifts and sold decorated stacked Xmas trees and used same method ( fridge).

Well, I gave up on the coconut oil. It has just too low of a melting point. After some trial and error I came up with 1/2 tsp of crisco with 40 grams of chocolate works well. Keeps it flowing , yet doesn't take forever to dry. Yes, it sounds crazy, but I wanted to be ready for next time. I have to keep my supergrandma title and since I lack talent in almost everything, I need all the help I can get. My banana muffins with chocolate chips isn't gonna thrill them forever. LOL

I wonder if I had old stock. Maybe that's why it was so hard to melt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!