Need help from FW transportation experts!

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
On our next trip,we will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge, but we plan to spend two evenings at Fort Wilderness. We have never been to FW before, so we aren't sure how far apart things are and if we can walk or will need a bus, etc.

Here is our plan for one evening -
Take the boat from the WL and attend the Backyard BBQ and then have a carriage ride. Can anybody tell us how to get:
A. From the boat dock to the BBQ
B. From the BBQ to the carriage ride
C. From the carriage ride back to the Wilderness Lodge (How late does the boat run?)

Here is our plan for the second evening -
Take a boat from the WL and have dinner at Trail's End and then attend the campfire. Can anybody tell us how to get:
A. From the boat dock to Trails' End
B. From Trails' End to the campfire
C. From the campfire back t to the Wilderness Lodge

If anybody can help me with this, I would really appreciate it! Also, I heard there is a neat swamp walking trail at FW. Where is that located?? Is there anything else at FW we should try to see?

When you get off the boat you will walk up to the path to find the Settlement Trading Post, Pioneer Hall and the Petting Zoo. Take the path off to the right and you will find River Country and the Pavillion for the BBQ. The carriage rides are done in front of the Trails End and will be easy to find.
You can take the boat which runs about an hour after MK closes or the bus.

The campfire is in the middle of the campground near the Meadows Trading post. For some the walk is too much, so you can catch an internal bus at the Settlement depot. You will be getting off at the 800/600 loop bus stop (yellow bus) or the 700 loop bus stop (orange bus) depending on which bus you take.

You might want to take the resort tour and take a look at the FW map on www.disneyzone.actusa.net

I'll try and help but I'm not a FW expert. We've only been twice. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, here's a link to a map of FW. It's an old one (notice the old logo at the top :( ) but it's basically the same.

http://www.disneycampers.com/Fort_Wilderness/FW MAP.htm

In my opinion, the easiest way to FW from WL would be the boat. Most of what you'll be doing is within walking distance from the marina if not at the marina it's self. BBQ, Hoop-Dee-Doo, and Crockett's Tavern. They also have the Horse Barn and Petting Zoo there but I'm not sure if this is where the carriage ride is. If not, I would guess that it would be up front at the Wilderness Corral but I doubt it.

FW works on a bus system internally. When we were there, we stayed in the 1400 loop right by the campfire/movie. We walked to the marina instead of waiting for a bus. Sometimes, it could take 20 minutes or more and it was about a 10-15 minute walk. When going to the campfire, you could either do the same or wait for a bus. If you decide on the bus, you could either take a yellow bus and get off at the 1400 loop. The campfire just the other side of the comfort station (bathrooms). Or, you could take an orange bus and get off at the 600/800 loop. They're both about the same so I would get on whichever one comes first. To get back to WL you would take a bus (again either orange or yellow~depending on what bus stop you go to) back to the marina.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else!

Hey GEM,
If you really want to have a great trip ditch the WL ressie & stay in FW in a cabin. The go to visit WL for awhile. If you get a cabin with a discount code they are less than a room only in the WL. We have a cabin over xmas & new years this year at $134 a night . With the money you save on the room get a golf cart for the duration of your stay. Then sit back & ENJOY!!

Remember, too, that FW and WL share both boat and bus transportation. I had someone on a bus last week state loudly "I didn't KNOW we'd have to go to the *campground* just because *WE'RE* staying at the Lodge!" The busses seemed to alternate which they stopped at first, so it really was fair (well, maybe not to those paying rack rate at WL...). We actually ate quite often at both the Contemporary and WL because the boat transportation was so handy.
Terri the Yoopermom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter