• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Help From Cheese Experts

pfishgirl

In Loving Memory of My Son 5/6/09
ok I am looking for some types of cheeses and don't know where to start.. I have looked on the internet but without actually tasting the cheese pictures don't really help..
:confused3

I would like:
a cheese for melting on those big portabello mushrooms
a cheese to crumble on top of salads.. other then normal cheddar
a cheese good for melting and using for dips

Thanks all in advance

I'm afraid the only one I can help you with is the salad---My family likes Feta cheese the best followed by Blue Cheese.
I've known people to use Gruyere(sp?) on the mushrooms-I'm not a fan-it's got a bite and it smells horrible

My favorite cheese is asiago, it would do well all 3 ways. Do you have a Trader Joe's by you? They are great for finding new cheeses.

Salad: None other than Parmesano Regiano (sp?) or even a mild goat cheese would do fine.
Mushrooms: Mozzerella

Dips and melting: Cheddar mild or sharp..your preferance.

Hope I helped! :goodvibes

Gouda is really yummy crumbled on salad. DSis and I make a salad with baby spinach, carmelized pecans (1/4 c sugar melted in pan until liquified, add pecans, then spread on parchment or wax paper), dried cranberries and crumbled gouda.

I always use parmesan for mushrooms and dips.

:thumbsup2

Thank You so much Everyone...

Melting cheddar for dips always makes too much oily greese so I try and stay away from it..

Feta.. Ive heard of feta cheese but what does it actually taste like?

I've used goatcheese before.. Is there a certain Name Brand that is Good??

no we don't have a trader joe's near me

umm what is asiago?? what does it taste like??

pfishgirl said:
:

Feta.. Ive heard of feta cheese but what does it actually taste like?

I've used goatcheese before.. Is there a certain Name Brand that is Good??

umm what is asiago?? what does it taste like??

Feta is very crumbly and I would say fairly mild. You always find it on Greek salads. It's really hard to describe cheese, but if I had to describe Feta, I would say take cottage cheese and remove all the liquid and you would have something approximating Feta, but with a little more flavor.

I don't like goat cheese, personally. I always say it tastes too much like goat. However, if you ask your cheese purveyor for a mild goat cheese, you will probably get something you like.

Asiago is an Italian cheese and is similar to parmesan. It has a different flavor (more mild), but like parmesan, it can be grated and it melts nicely. It would be good on those portabello mushrooms.

I have found that if you melt cheddar cheese over low heat and add a soft processed sharp cheddar with it, you will get a smooth mixture. The brand we get here in Mi is Hoffman brand. I use it in my mac and cheese too. Just use half cheddar and half Hoffmans.
HTH Deb
P.s. those bellas would be yummy with feta in them too.

For dips gruyere is classic - I love it! - but for a milder flavour emmenthal would probably work well. I know what you're saying about cheddar, but if you're doing a fondue add a little white wine and it should be OK. Other cheeses similar to cheddar but less strong is Double Gloucester or Red Leicester. Or how about Monterey Jack? It works on pizza.

For crumbling over salad a mild goats chess should be nice (look for a fresh one, without a rind, and you won't get that strong goaty flavour). Don't forget feta is a sheepsmilk cheese! other mild crumbly cheeses are Wensleydale (from Yorkshire) or Caerphilly (from Wales) - not as soft as goats cheese so easier to crumble! These work really well if some fruit (eg cranberry or apricot) is added to the mix.

Any of the above would work on your flat mushrooms as well - a bit of heat really improves goats cheese.

i'm hungry now but I can't have cheese cos I'm dieting (again)

Just wanted to add that if you are making fondue (cheddar or swiss), it really help to flour your cheese. Shred it first, put it in a ziploc, and then toss with 1-2 Tablespoons of flour. Slow steady heat, constant stirring and a little wine or beer to help it along.

I agree with the goat cheese for salad - look for a soft mild goat cheese.. the label may also list it as chevre. I like it plain, without any herbs added. One of my fave salads is greens (not iceburg) with goat cheese, raspberry vinagraitte and pine nuts. You can also add dried cranberries (craisins)

As for the mushrooms - how about a mild blue cheese? also goat cheese could be good here too. (I'd eat goat cheese off rocks though!)

Not sure where in Jersey you are at.. but if you have a Wegman's near by they also have an excellent selection of cheeses, and usually have a part with someone on hand who knows about the cheeses. Also try Wholefoods and Trader Joes (there is one in Westfield)

--h

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter