Need help - Boardwalk

Emmafleur

Mouseketeer
We (5 adults) will be staying at OKW next August and have DDP. We’ve only been to WDW once (in 2013) and didn’t realise The Boardwalk existed until we took the boat one day from Epcot to HS! We just didn’t have time to explore it back then so I really want to spend an evening there this time round. Can you recommend any good places to eat please? I can’t seem to find anywhere that takes reservations- does this mean that walk-ups will be easy to get if we just turn up? My DD gets very hangry if she’s not fed regularly so don’t want to risk being there and not being able to find anywhere to eat. Or, are there places we can make ADRs for? We’re not particularly fussy eaters but not great lovers of fish. Thanks

I would recommend Trattoria al Forno which is a 1 TS Italian restaurant right on the Boardwalk. They take ADR's. You can also walk up to Big River Grill and ESPN but the food isn't as good and there's no telling how long you'd have to wait for a table.

The "Boardwalk" itself only has a few sit-down dining options. The top "Signature" dining experience is the Flying Fish. Yes, the menu is front-loaded toward seafood, so maybe this isn't your thing. But the quality of the food is excellent and dishes such as Pork Belly or Steak will have you forgetting that you are in a fish palace.

Next in line would be Trattoria al Forno. It is a casual Italian restaurant. Generally gets mixed reviews that range from "pretty good" to "just OK". Never really hear people say that they dislike it, nor do you hear people shout about it from the roof tops.

From there, things get decidedly more casual. The ESPN Club is a sports bar/restaurant with the kind of fare you would expect from a place with dozens of TVs. And the Big River Grille is a small brew pub with decent food and unique beers.

Beyond that, the Boardwalk area includes (due to proximity) many restaurants that are contained within the "Epcot Resorts" such as the Beach and Yacht Club and the Swan and Dolphin Resorts. Some of the better restaurants in all of WDW can be found in these resorts. There is the Yachtsman Steakhouse and Shula's Steakhouse for the meat lovers. There is bluezoo for fish lovers. There is Il Mulino which is the best Italian restaurant in all of WDW. There is Kimono's for some of the best sushi on property. There is the Cape May Cafe which has buffet service and character meals. There is the Fountain and Beaches and Cream if you are looking for an ice cream sundae and perhaps a burger and fries to go with it.

So don't just look at "the Boardwalk" when scouting out dining options. Look at the surrounding resorts as well and you will find lots of choices, many of them being top-rated.

ESPN is the only restaurant that does not take dinner ADRs. Trattoria al Forno, Flying Fish do thru Disney’s Dining line Big River Grille has their own thru their web site.
What are the ages of your part? Adults or “Disney Adults”?
ESPN is a fun sports bar with typical bar food and lots of TV’s showing various sporting events.
Trattoria al Fornia is nice Italian
Flying Fish is an upscale Signature dining experience.
Big River Grille is a brew pub with pub food and they brew their own beer onsite.
You can walk up to ESPN. If there is a big game the line can get long. Big River Grille often takes walk ups too

Thank you. We range in age from 21 to mid 40’s. I’m wondering now whether to do our TS for lunch and just grab a QS at Boardwalk in the evening. I do like the look of the Shula Steakhouse, though. Decisions, decisions :thanks:

There isnt really a QS dining plan location at The Boardwalk so just keep that in mind if you want to try to use a QS credit there.

There is not too much QS on the Boardwalk--Boardwalk Bakery, Ample Hills Creamery(ice cream), Boardwalk Pizza Window, the 'to go cart' (mostly fried food), funnel cake stand, and the Margarita Stand. Of those QS only the Bakery and pizza window take the dining plan for QS.

As your group is all 21+:
  • The Abracadabar looks to only have drinks.
  • JellyRolls is the dueling piano bar and I'm assuming still is only drinks and maybe free popcorn...so you buy more drinks.

Ah, ok. So I need to feed the baby before we go then. It’s only a few minutes by boat from Epcot so I guess we could eat somewhere there first. What time does the last boat leave from Epcot to the Boardwalk?

What time does the last boat leave from Epcot to the Boardwalk?

At least 30 minutes after the end of Illuminations. But keep in mind that the walk from Epcot over to the Boardwalk is pretty much just as fast as taking the boat. As a general rule, if there is a boat in the dock that is boarding passengers, or if there is a boat within sight of pulling in to the dock, take the boat. If you have to wait as much as 5 minutes for a boat, it is faster to walk. You can leave the International Gateway and either walk to the Boardwalk by way of the ESPN Club, or you can walk to the Yacht and Beach Club by going straight there. If you are going to the Swan or Dolphin, it doesn't much matter which way you go.

The other thing to keep in mind is how you're going to get back to OKW after Epcot closes. The Boardwalk is just another resort when it comes to transportation--so buses only go to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Disney Springs as you could boat/walk to Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Probably the best route, if you want to use the free disney buses, walk to the boardwalk bus depot and take a bus to Disney Springs, and then get back to OKW from there--another bus? You could also try that new 'Minnie' van transport for $20.

Ah, ok. So I need to feed the baby before we go then. It’s only a few minutes by boat from Epcot so I guess we could eat somewhere there first. What time does the last boat leave from Epcot to the Boardwalk?

There is zero need to take a boat from EP to the Boardwalk. When you exit IG, simply cross the bridge to your left and you are essentially there. For QS, we like Boardwalk Bakery, but sometimes at night it's hard to find a place to sit on the Boardwalk. If you want to eat QS before leaving EP, Les Halle des France is very good and is a very short walk from the IG exit/entrance.

There is zero need to take a boat from EP to the Boardwalk. When you exit IG, simply cross the bridge to your left and you are essentially there. For QS, we like Boardwalk Bakery, but sometimes at night it's hard to find a place to sit on the Boardwalk. If you want to eat QS before leaving EP, Les Halle des France is very good and is a very short walk from the IG exit/entrance.
Thank you. Where is IG? We whizzed round the World Showcase last time but only to find our restaurant and didn’t spend any time there. I know where the boat leaves to go to HS - is the gate anywhere near there?
That Boardwalk Bakery sounds really nice for a snack and the French place is a good idea. I love French food :lovestruc Thanks for the suggestions

Thank you. Where is IG? We whizzed round the World Showcase last time but only to find our restaurant and didn’t spend any time there. I know where the boat leaves to go to HS - is the gate anywhere near there?
That Boardwalk Bakery sounds really nice for a snack and the French place is a good idea. I love French food :lovestruc Thanks for the suggestions

The International Gateway is in Epcot's world showcase down a walkway to the right that is after you pass the UK but before you cross the bridge to France. The actual boardwalk area will be to your left as the path splits after you leave Epcot but you can walk all the way around the lake with the 5 resorts. There are several places to eat but none of the places at either the Swan or Dolphin (including Shulas) takes the dining plan credits. Some of those places are not as kid friendly as the Disney restaurants (Shulas, bluezoo in particular) but there's Kimonos (sushi), The Fountain (burgers) and the Cabana Pool Bar (variety on menu) and you don't need reservations for these. These are in addition to the Disney restaurants that everyone listed above.

The International Gateway is in Epcot's world showcase down a walkway to the right that is after you pass the UK but before you cross the bridge to France. The actual boardwalk area will be to your left as the path splits after you leave Epcot but you can walk all the way around the lake with the 5 resorts. There are several places to eat but none of the places at either the Swan or Dolphin (including Shulas) takes the dining plan credits. Some of those places are not as kid friendly as the Disney restaurants (Shulas, bluezoo in particular) but there's Kimonos (sushi), The Fountain (burgers) and the Cabana Pool Bar (variety on menu) and you don't need reservations for these. These are in addition to the Disney restaurants that everyone listed above.
Thank you. Really looking forward to a night there now :yay:

Where is IG?

right that is after you pass the UK but before you cross the bridge to France.
Think of the International Gateway as the "English Channel".
international_gateway1.jpg

UK on the right, France on the left:
latest

Big River Grille is a good choice for walk up. We have eaten there several times and never needed a reservation. It has a varied menu, so something for everyone.
This last trip, we ate at Il Mulino at the Swan was very child friendly and had good food.
We really like Flying Fish, but if you're not into fish, there are much better options.
As mentioned Beaches and Cream is fun, but need ADR if you plan to eat there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter