Need Help and Advice about Old Key West

MrsJobba1

Dvc owner at BWV & SSR
Hi,

I've been a DVC since 1999 and as part of my honeymoon back in 2000 my hubby and I stayed at OKW. We loved the resort, but I remember it being so spread out and a long walk from our room to anywhere!

Sadly my health has not been good and I have an auto immune problem and severe arthritis. Whilst I don't use a wheel chair I do have limited mobility.

We travel from the UK and don't drive - so no car.

Next year is our 20th wedding anniversary and would love to return to OKW -

I've checked points and we have enough for a one bedroom - however we would be booking at the 7 month window.

Which building would you suggest? I think near HH would be best -for close proximity to food , drinks , transport & Pool etc although not sure . Whilst a golf view is nice I remember sitting on the balcony near water. I find water so relaxing. Are there any buildings near HH that have a view of water?

Can you get a boat to DS from near HH?

Also do you think I have a chance getting a 1 bed next May 2020 at the 7 month window?

Thanks for your help.

You should be able to get a 1 bedroom at OKW at 7 months - sometimes even closer to your stay. However, you most likely want to request one of the elevator buildings due to health reasons - they are not technically HH area but are right next to it so still pretty close. There are only 3 buildings I think that have elevators - so if you are not in one of those you might have two flights of stairs to your room. I don't have any real issues but my knees were killing me the last time we stayed in a regular building on the 3rd floor. The other option is to request HH and indicate you need a first-floor room for medical reasons.

The boat dock is at the back of the HH near the pool and it goes to Disney Springs - there are also internal Disney springs boats that will take you from one side to the next.

While you don't need a scooter in regular life you really might want to think about renting one from an offsite vendor - that way you have it for Disney Springs (the boats and all the buses accommodate the scooters). You will be amazed at how much more enjoyable your trip will be if you are not pushing yourself physically - and especially if it is hot it can take a toll. If you rent from an offsite vendor you don't have to worry about the parks running out of scooters - happened to me on one trip at AK. Cost is relatively low (compared to Disney prices) and you can charge it in your room. If you have problems and are in a part or DS you call the company and they bring you a new one.

Building 23 is a water view HH category and is close to a bus stop, Building 62 is an elevator building I believe and is actually closer to HH than 23 but has the same water view.

Hi,

I've been a DVC since 1999 and as part of my honeymoon back in 2000 my hubby and I stayed at OKW. We loved the resort, but I remember it being so spread out and a long walk from our room to anywhere!

Sadly my health has not been good and I have an auto immune problem and severe arthritis. Whilst I don't use a wheel chair I do have limited mobility.

We travel from the UK and don't drive - so no car.

Next year is our 20th wedding anniversary and would love to return to OKW -

I've checked points and we have enough for a one bedroom - however we would be booking at the 7 month window.

Which building would you suggest? I think near HH would be best -for close proximity to food , drinks , transport & Pool etc although not sure . Whilst a golf view is nice I remember sitting on the balcony near water. I find water so relaxing. Are there any buildings near HH that have a view of water?

Can you get a boat to DS from near HH?

Also do you think I have a chance getting a 1 bed next May 2020 at the 7 month window?

Thanks for your help.

Here is a link to a map of OKW in case you need it ...https://www.google.com/search?q=dis...i=UEpjBBdY-q3fuM:&imgrc=NjcjjTc8vKOfJM:&vet=1

This is a view from a 2BR in building 62 which as mentioned is one of the three buildings with elevators. It is not in the HH booking category but actually is right across the street from it. We requested either a building with an elevator or a first floor due to medical issues and were placed here on the first floor so the elevator actually did not matter.

DSC07239.jpg

I do think you should be able to get a 1BR for next May at 7 months. The HH category usually fills first which is why I wanted to show you this view if you book the non-HH Category. Also, you can bus from several locations thru out the resort back to HH so you wouldn't ever have to do a long walk if you didn't want to. I second the thought to consider renting a scooter from offsite though as there just is still a lot of walking at WDW in general. It can make a trip much more comfortable.

Get a scooter from outside vendor. You can go anywhere on property.

While you don't need a scooter in regular life you really might want to think about renting one from an offsite vendor
Are the ground floor patios in the hh section quite private?

I second getting a scooter. My Mom did fine around the house, but we'd not be able to have done the parks at all without her being in a wheelchair. She was light (140 Pound) and easy to push, so we never used a scooter. This gave her the ability to have a great time, relatively pain free, after 3 hip surgeries. SHe was mobile enough to transfer into the rides fine, and was riding the coasters, including my last trip with her, at the age of 86.

The ground floor balconies/patios at OKW are as private as the upper floor balconies, there is really no way to easily access them unless you come through the the units, the exception being the balconies that back into a pool area, Buildings 19 and 20.

I second getting a scooter. My Mom did fine around the house, but we'd not be able to have done the parks at all without her being in a wheelchair. She was light (140 Pound) and easy to push, so we never used a scooter. This gave her the ability to have a great time, relatively pain free, after 3 hip surgeries. SHe was mobile enough to transfer into the rides fine, and was riding the coasters, including my last trip with her, at the age of 86.

The ground floor balconies/patios at OKW are as private as the upper floor balconies, there is really no way to easily access them unless you come through the the units, the exception being the balconies that back into a pool area, Buildings 19 and 20.

Thanks that’s good to know

All of the advice given by previous posters is spot-on. A first-floor room is wonderfully convenient if you are unable to book the buildings with elevators. And all of the resort should be completely renovated by the time of your trip (they are finishing up in the HH category rooms now). I hope you enjoy your trip!

Just note that while you can make room and building requests they are not guaranteed. There have been people with mobility issues who have griped on here in the past about not getting room/building requests.

If you do decide on OKW, you should be prepared for how it might negatively impact your trip if you aren't able to get what you need.

Perhaps instead of a full stay at OKW, maybe visiting the resort for dinner at Olivia's would suffice to fulfill that bit of nostalgia?

In the 19 Years that I traveled with Mom in her wheelchair, I never had an issue getting a ground floor unit at OKW, and we only stayed at OKW, no other resort, two times per year. It was sometimes an HA modified unit (which we didn't need) sometimes. not. But always had ground floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter