Need advice for High School Marching Band trip to WDW

blossombrd

Mouseketeer
My DS's H. S. marching band and concert band (about 220 kids) is in the beginning stages of planning a WDW trip in March 2004. I would like to see them stay on site (they have stayed off site in the past). We want them to participate in the Disney Magic Music Days and also try a "Clinic" experience.
Is this feasible for this many kids? If so, which resort would be best? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this before.:)
Should we plan through a student travel agency?
Should we fly or go by bus? I have many questions! :jester:

Thanks for any advice!

Linda from Michigan

Linda -

It is an unforgettable experience. I would say fly (charting a plane) and stay at All Stars 4 to a room to be within budget. (I assume money is an issue). Good luck
Sandy

When DS went, they finally chose to go by bus. Remember the safety of traveling with all those instruments (especially percussion), and if his band is marching there-uniforms. I did a lot to help plan it (until I got injured). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I went with my highschool and had such a great time. We flew down, missed a few days of school and stayed for four days. My band must have been about 150 or so and we stayed at All Star Sports. We marched in Epcot one day, had a clinic another day and went to MGM on the other day as a free day. When we weren't performing or something, we were able to play in the park. At the clinic, the flag girls went backstage at the Magic Kingdom and learned a dance while the band went to record music to Aladin. It was really fun to see the outcome. The band parents were very organized by having us check in at various times during the day and we couldn't leave until everyone in our group was there. We couldn't have left the park to hop or anything but still had a great time.

I chapaeroned and also helped plan our band's trip 3 times. The most we took was 165 students. We chartered busses and stayed off-site. The director did not want it to be too easy for the students to return to the hotel on their own. Disney will set up hotels for your group, but they will not help you until your band is accepted for Magic Music Days. Your director must send tapes for their "try-out". If the band wants to march in a parade, then they must send a tape of them marching in a parade. We actually used a group in Orlando to plan our trips. I believe it is called All American Music Festival. They had various packages available. Good luck!

I know our choir went...I don't think they went as part of Magic Music Days because they competed in a contest but they went for 4 days and stayed at All-Star Music...I know they paid about 500-600 dollars but that didn't include any meals

My guess would be to stay onsite at All Star and make sure to stay 4 to a room...driving or flying...it would be up to you. when our band went to New York my freshmen year we flew and didn't have any problems with the instruments

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter