need advice a few weeks into potty training going to WDW

We had a cushiony insert potty seat and bag for our DS when he was toilet training....it was his first trip to Disney. I wiped it with disinfectant Clorox wipes after each use at the public toilets and washed with soap and water back at the resort. It honestly was NOT fun lugging it in my backpack all week. Diapers were so much easier, but it is doable. Good luck!

When we took my son when he was almost 3 he was in the middle of potty training. We just scrapped it for that week and I made him wear pull ups. I was so worried he was going to poop on a ride! And yes it did set us back a tiny bit (in the pooping arena) but he eventually did learn to use the toilet just fine in time for school. I guess it was for my piece of mind!!! haha

Edit to add: We did bring one of those padded potty seats that sit on top of the toilet for the hotel room (then we threw it out on our last day - didn't bring that home! They were cheap enough at walmart)

Another vote for pull-ups. Even a year after potty training we used them on flights, at WDW, and overnight in hotel rooms. There are times when a bathroom cannot be accessed in just a few minutes (like flight descent and deplaning or the middle of ride). And changing a pull-up is so much easier than changing a complete outfit or dealing with a wet hotel mattress.

We were in a similar last year. We took a potty break after (almost) every ride (about every hour), and I carried an extra set of clothes and a few pull-ups to use if needed. My daughter ended up doing WAY better than I expected, and we had no potty mishaps (other than treating the bathroom as a jungle gym, but that's another story!).

Just try to get to the potty as often as you think is necessary and definitely before or after any longer lines.

I agree with everyone else about the pull ups!

On our first trip, my older one (4 at the time), never wanted to go into the bathrooms, and insisted he didn't have to go. So I started telling him "hey, buddy I have to go to the bathroom, can you help me inspect it?" And he would always come because he loves to be a helper and we would go in and see what color the floors and walls and stalls were and then I'd say, "well can you see if the toilet works for me?" And he would always go with no fussing. We went back recently and he's six now and still remembered the bathroom inspecting game we played lol

My son's first trip to WDW was right in the middle of potty training and he decided in WDW that he was a big boy and would no longer wear pull ups. I had bought pull ups for the trip ( he was still wearing them at night) to make things easier but NO he refused to wear them during the day AND at night. I carried around extra clothes in the backpack and made sure to stop at lots of restrooms and would make him sit on the toilet and try to go. Somehow we made it through the trip with ZERO accidents and came home with a fully potty trained kid- Disney magic? lol.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Just be sure to stop at lots of restrooms especially before getting in line for rides or going into shows.

We brought the folding travel seat (in a zip lock bag) for the parks and used the regular over the toilet seat thing in the room. I also used to use the toilet seat covers-not sure if they make them anymore.

I agree with bringing pull ups. The last thing you want is to be stuck on a slow moving ride, (Pirates or Small World) and your kid all of a sudden has to go.

DS didn't like the self flushing toilets so we brought post it notes to cover the sensor. He also hates the hand dryers, which I think are even louder than the toilets.

We were told by someone to care a roll of painters tape with you to cover the auto flush so they don't get scared of the sound or the water hitting their butt. Also the baby centers at each park are perfect. They are quiet and friendly environments and maybe aren't so intimating with so many people coming and going. On a side note, we were potty trained two weeks with zero accidents and she got constipated and was too scared to go because of the pain. So now we are regressed and pediatrician has said try again in a month.

We went often and had one of those folding seats so they could sit comfortably. I did block the sensor on the auto flush toilets and my girls were fine with that. We did not use pull ups.

Another vote for pull-ups here, too. We've been done with potty training for about a year or so, but my 4.5 year old will for sure be wearing a Huggies pull-on diaper pant (he pees way so much a pull-up wouldn't hold him) our entire upcoming visit. He's the type of kid who could use the bathroom and then 20 minutes later need to urgently go again, and he waits until the absolute last minute to pee or poop. Couple that with the excitement and distraction, and the fact that he freaks out from the noise of all the flushing toilets and hand dryers and tries to run from the bathrooms, lol --well, it saved us many times on our last trip about 6 months ago--on a bus, on a monorail, in a line for an attraction where by the time we would have gotten out of line and to a bathroom he would have already had an accident. Even once on It's a Small World, where he needed to poop RIGHT THEN. I couldn't imagine leaving a puddle or mess for cast members or fellow guests, and this was/is just way easier.

Even though I think he probably took advantage a little and may have used the pull-ups as a bit of a crutch, it was so easy to change him if there was an accident (bathrooms are literally everywhere, not to mention the awesome babycare centers) and quickly move on. And he went back to using the potty at home fine, without issue.

This won’t help you, because you’re already started, but I have twin boys who will be 28 months when we go to Disney in June. The timing dawned on me around Christmas time, and I made the conscious decision to not even think about potty training until after our trip! No way do I want to be messing with leaving line when they have to go suddenly, fits when I attempt to make them try, etc... if I don’t have to! It kind of felt freeing to just know I wasn’t goimg to worry about it until mid-summer. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter