need advice a few weeks into potty training going to WDW

dwight16

DIS Veteran
so my DS is 2 years 8 months and we are about 3 weeks into potty training its going ok number 1 is down number 2 not so much but progress is being made

we are going to WDW in 2 weeks and wanted some advice we have a folding seat for the potty to help him sit i know disney has cleaner restrooms but not really thrilled carrying that around all week but we will. i am just wondering if anyone has tips and tricks for us. i know we will be bringing a lot of new outfits i am expecting a bunch of accidents.

make time to tour the toilets everywhere and "try to go" at every opportunity.
don't be hesitant to just buy pull-ups and forget about the training, with all the stimulus

Do you have a mall or other venue nearby that has the restroom set-up that WDW has? (multiple stalls, automatic toilets, etc.?) If so, I would consider taking him there and "practicing" in public restrooms. When we potty trained my DS, whenever we traveled, I would put underwear on him then a pull-up over that. I would then take him immediately to the rest room when we arrived and put his underwear on - maybe consider that for any bus rides at WDW? As PP noted, I also wouldn't be hesitant to just go with pull-ups and start up again when you get home. I would not want to be carrying around a toilet seat in WDW.

We had JUST finished training my son before we went to Disney (the week before his 3rd birthday). I didn’t want to stress about it on vacation, so I put him in pull-ups for the week (at the time, he was still wearing them at night anyway). I didn’t want to lug around a bunch of clothes and have him upset if he had an accident, and you just never know how they’ll react to a vacation.

He is 3.5 now and still won’t sit on a full-size toilet, so I still take a foldable potty seat everywhere. It’s very compact though, so really not a big deal. It’s this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gimars-Silic...ocphy=9022129&hvtargid=pla-379699802568&psc=1

Oh, and my son did great at Disney. Didn’t use the pull-up once. We ditched them all together when we got home and I think he’s only had 1 accident in the last 6 months (and he was sick with influenza, so I can give him a pass).

Thanks for the responses we are keeping it a lower key trip less extended trips to the parks to see how it goes

it could go great! he could really get it in his head about the normal routine of "potty"! if he sees hundreds of people dealing with this, he might figure it out.
but don't stress about making it about "training AT Disney", enjoy the vacation!
just give him lots of chances to give you cues about his needs

When we took my newly potty trained daughter we used pull-ups. It was non-negotiable because she didn’t give us enough warning to get to a bathroom at that age. It isn’t like being at home where you know where the nearest bathroom is sand are able to get there in 30 seconds or less at all times.

What you don’t want to do is restrict liquids during the day to try and avoid accidents. Not healthy in the what at Disney.

We just did this at Disneyland. Our little guy was nearly 3 and basically potty trained. We had him wear a pull up and I brought an extra in my bag. He was totally fine and told us when he'd need to go. I was worried he'd be overwhelmed by the toilets but I think it was more "fun" to see all the Disney bathrooms ha! He also did drink a lot of water so maybe prepare for more bathroom stops, which it sounds like you're doing.

In retrospect, I probably could've skipped the Pull Up as he didn't have accidents there but it was worth it to me for the peace of mind.

Get him used to a full sized toilet seat now, and I agree with the others about pull-ups (and I’m normally not a fan of them, dd18 trained herself soon after her 2nd birthday and refused to wear them at Hershey Park, fortunately it went ok, but I begged her to wear them).

So I am the most anti-pull-up person around, I think they're just a diaper company money grab and generally useless. That being said, we took our daughter to WDW a full year after she potty trained (straight to underwear) and it was a flipping nightmare. So, I say pack pull-ups and don't hesitate to use them if you need to. Our poor kid was so afraid to go with the auto flushing toilets (even if hers wasn't flushing she could hear the others), she was afraid to poop, etc. It was 7 years ago and she still looks at pictures and says "I'm not in that picture with Donald Duck because I had pooped my pants." She peed all over me on the bus back to the resort one day, that was fun too. Dealing with accident after accident at Disney is not something you want to deal with, and while he may be totally fine I'd just bring the darn pull-ups and spin some story about them being special Disney pants and he should still use the potty like a big boy but at least you'll have a backup and won't be trying to rinse poop out of underwear at the hotel or do extra laundry, etc.

Pack and use pull-ups and also teach him to pee standing up. It's so easy with little boys to stand behind them and just boost them up to the right height (my LO would stand on my feet), and much easier than dealing with weird-shaped toiled seats they aren't used to.

so my DS is 2 years 8 months and we are about 3 weeks into potty training its going ok number 1 is down number 2 not so much but progress is being made

we are going to WDW in 2 weeks and wanted some advice we have a folding seat for the potty to help him sit i know disney has cleaner restrooms but not really thrilled carrying that around all week but we will. i am just wondering if anyone has tips and tricks for us. i know we will be bringing a lot of new outfits i am expecting a bunch of accidents.
as others have said make sure you try some mall restrooms where other toilets can flush while he is on one even if he is on potty seat. a lot of kids are afraid of the loud flush even if it is not theirs. make sure you also have extras for adults not just your son. I would also consider pull ups for the trip so you have less clothes to carry. plus there is no short/quick way out of lines plus the walk to restroom plus you could have a line waiting. also with young child remember the single room restrooms have a higher toilet as they are handicapped toilets

Mine at that age was anti stopping the fun to potty, so in 2015 and 2017 I would word it, Uhoh! They won't let us go on the next ride til we try and go potty. Even though you'd think they would have forgotten our 2017 potty rule, my 6 year old reminded me the other day that we will stop and have to use the potty or else they won't let us on rides.

We took our then almost 3-year-old (2 years, 11 months) last year a week after he decided to potty train. It wasn’t ideal timing but you’ve got to train when they are ready and that’s when he decided he was ready. We put him in pull ups but he didn’t end up going in them. We stopped every 1 1/2-2 hours and had him try to go. He just went on the seat with a cover. I can’t imagine lugging around a special potty seat and disinfecting it after every use. It’s easier just to get them used to using a full sized toilet in public.

But (and I tell you this to save you a lot of stress), the key to training is wait until they are really ready. If you still have accidents (and it sounds like you do) then he isn’t ready. The three day method really works, but the key is that they need to be ready. If they still have accidents after three days, don’t get upset. Just stop, go back to diapers and try again in a month. It took three months of this and on month three my son decided on his own he was ready to use the toilet. So many parents at my son’s daycare pushed their kids to potty train months before my son and their kids still had frequent accidents until age 3. They stressed themselves out for no reason. Three really does seem to be the magic number so you may be pushing it just a bit too early.

It’s easier just to get them used to using a full sized toilet in public.

But, see, it’s not easier for everyone. My 3.5 year old still won’t sit on a full size toilet. He screams and cries and grabs on to me, no matter what I do. I just wipe the potty seat daily (it folds up, so the part in contact with the toilet isn’t in contact with anything else). It’s seriously been a lifesaver...he won’t go in public without it.

The best tip I got was they must go when you go.

So we made a rule every time mommy went she had to try, so I just went a lot. I found it easier then asking her if she had to go, cause she would say no, even sometimes if she did have to go (having to much fun to much excitement etc).

I would skip the pull up if possible. I found when I gave it to my daughter she would use it and we would have a regression.

Good luck have fun!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter