DIS Veteran
Looking for a good printer that won’t break the bank. One that
-ink last long and inexpensive
-scanner
-prints good pictures
-double sided printing
-wireless or whatever it’s called printing from our iphone
Any suggestions?

I love my Canon Pixma MX 920. I got it for $69 and it has been fantastic. I see that it is now running $219 on Amazon.com, so I'm going to treasure it a bit more.

I don't think it is much different from the TR8520 which costs $89.99.

I tend to stick to Brother printers. They run $75 to purchase and I can get replacement ink on Amazon for about $15 for 3 sets. The ink is separate cartridges rather than a tri-color one so you only replace the color you have used. I am able to print, scan and fax wirelessly from my iPhone and my MacBook.

I go into best buy and purchase the cheapest Canon All in One they have. It will usually last 3 years or so. Got one a few months ago for $60. I like Canons and the ink lasts awhile.

If you can do without printing color pictures, a good black & white laser printer is an option. Ink jet printers tend to clog if you don't use them frequently and the ink is pricey. The dry ink used in laser printers is a better option for home use. I have a Dell B&W laser printer and think it is far superior to any inkjet printer I have owned. It only cost about $60.

The answer depends on how many pages a month you're going to be printing. You can buy a printer for under $100, maybe close to $50. Ink cartridges will be expensive and might not have much ink. Aftermarket cartridges might not be available for a new model.

The more expensive models from Epson and Canon use large bottles of ink that should last for months, a year may be optimistic.

Edited to add Pick the wrong printer and the vista of ink will break the bank

Used to have a Canon Pixma and when it finally died, got a budget B&W laser printer instead. Tried those budget cartridges for my Canon Pixma and it was a disaster, colors never printed the right color and inkjet nozzles constantly needed cleaning. If you don't frequently print with your inkjet, they are likely to clog between uses. Most local stores tend to stock the inkjet refills for only the most recent printers. Otherwise, you need to buy it online.

Really like the laser printer I have now and the dry powder ink it uses is great for infrequent home printing.

Printing color photos at home isn't cost effective. You can find many local drugstores that offer online printing at an affordable price.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!