• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need a car???

emileesmum

Earning My Ears
Flying down to Orlando on Tues (11th) and staying at FW for 5 nights. My sister and her family were to join my daughter and myself there, but due to health reasons they will not be coming. Do I really need to rent a car for the 5 days I'll be there? I'm figuring once I get to FW I will be using Disney transportation to and from parks and that the car would be just sitting there. I can used Mears buses to get from the airport to FW. I'll need to rent one when I leave to drive over to the west coast, but I could save $$ by not renting one the first week. What to you all think?Can I get by without one?

You can absoutly get along without a car. I assume that because you are flying in you will be staying in a cabin.

Depending on your plans, you may want to rent a bike at the bike barn but you can wait until you arrive to figure that one out. Also available for rent is a golf cart.

Check out my Fort Wilderness Fun Facts and Information for more information, including an internal bus map of FW.

Happy camping

ºOº

You do not need a car unless you plan on going off property. It would be nice to be able to go to the local store to stock up on food and drinks for the cabin. You could take a taxi from the airport to FW and have them stop at a store on the way. Everything in the FW store is very expensive. However, if you plan on eating all your meals at restaurants on property this would be a moot point. I would not rent a car just to get around WDW.

I have always found it easier and more fun to use my own car. The busses are great, but you can usually get places faster and easier (Except for the MK via boat) then using them. If you have tons of time though and don't want to drive around....the busses work just fine.

I have done it both ways.

If you are going anywhere outside of the world, a car is essential though.

Have fun!

I know folks who took the shuttle to WDW from the airport & they stopped at the grocery store for them...doesn't hurt to ask!

:wave:

FIRST trip with the new rv so decided to not tow on this trip...
we were at FW for six weeks...
DO NOT NEED A rental just to get around WDW, but since we needed to vist off grounds and stock up on supplies rented from budget....
took bus to downtown disney...walked up hotel blvd to the double tree hotel and got a good deal......
next jan, however, we will bring our own vechicles..
the bikes were always in use......
spinner

Welcome back Spinner!!! Dying to hear all about it! I would love to spend 6 weeks at FW!!!! Camper envy here hahahahaha!

NEVER had more than a week or two...it blew my mind just doing any old thing that I WANTED....BETWEEN the biking and hiking and gym, kept pretty busy..(after the first binge week) you must keep a healthy diet and keep up your usual life style....
so we managed to do that....
Love long Island and even though we came back to snow, it is good to be home...
seemed to me that many people were and are still there from the Holidays....yikes....
gonna do some camping in Montauk Point soon as it opens. early April........it will still be very cold .....but the beach off season is so deserted and beautiful..........................................................\
just cause you wander, dont mean you are lost...........SPINNER

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh have fun at the point!!! That's the best time to go...b4 the invasion! I grew up in Remsenburg...ever hear of it? My dad was the post master there for 35 years & my grandparents had the last surviving dairy farm out that way. Lots of great memories coming thru!

iT CERTAINLY has charm and only venture out in the spring and fall...................blue fishing, bass fishing, boating is tops...........
we live close to the SMITHTOWN BULL, so its a quick trip for us....
do have some fine kayaking in the rivers of Long Island....
the SOUND CAN BE SCARY, but will go out a little more this summer.....
SPINNER......................................................................
ITS ENOUGH TO BE ON YOUR WAY..........JT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter