Nearby Ko Olina hotel experiences?

GatorChris

Not of This World
Seriously thinking about a return trip in June of 2019. We got to stay at Aulani in May of 2018 simply because a friend needed to dump points in a hurry and we got them at $7/pt (practically stealing!). While we loved Aulani and everything there, we simply can't afford to return anytime soon.

So I've been looking around at the Four Seasons, Marriott, and the Beach Villas. Not sure price wise how they are or how their service is. But I do love the location. The lagoons are cool for swimming and snorkeling, plus we're close to the dole whips and the character meal at Aulani.

Any tips or experiences would be appreciated.

Both the Marriott and Four Seasons are nice, and have some nice restaurants and pools. They're both good, and yes, you can make dining reservations at Aulani and enjoy the quick service food. Neither of them is much cheaper than Aulani, though. I priced out a basic room (one bedroom with kitchen, mind you) at the Marriott as more expensive than a regular hotel room in Aulani for the same days in April 2019. Four Seasons would cost even more. Aulani may actually be the most economical option of the three, depending on your dates and availability.

The Marriott is a timeshare hotel so there are plenty of owners willing to rent their weeks out. You should consider renting points at Aulani or checking Redweek for Marriott rentals.

Marriott is awesome - we have stayed there 4 times, very similar set up in 2 bedroom suites to Aulani. 1 slide, 2 pools plus an adults only pool. Poolside snacks comparable to poolside service at Aulani.

Beach Villas are a different ball game altogether. At least 50% are private residences so they are VERY strict with their rules. We’ve stayed their twice and love the villas. 1 pool that is kid friendly and the other is “quiet” pool - make any loud noises and the security guard will come to investigate. No food onsite, other then a cabana that is a bar with hot dogs / bags of crisps. We’ve stayed there twice - both times for around 25 days.

We LOVE the Marriott. We have stayed there twice and would not hesitate to stay again.
I have been looking at renting points via Redweek as @Boardwalkin suggested but I have never rented through Redweek before.
I have however rented DVC points for Aulani through an agency (Davids) and it made it so much more affordable.
My plan for our next stay will probably be to try staying at one of the new Kapolei hotels (Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites) for the first night because we are always very tired from the long travel day. Then getting supplies in Kapolei and heading to a few days at the Marriott, followed by another island (probably Big Island because we love it there) and then returning to Oahu to cap it off with a few nights at Aulani.

I have not stayed at the Four Seasons but they will sometimes have deals on their website if you sign up for email specials however they are super super expensive and imho I would rather spend my money to stay at Aulani if the price is the same

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club has prepay rates for June of $312 a night for a studio/efficiency on Marriott.com. Renting from a Marriott owner on Redweek will save you some money - saw some studios for under $200 a night and a 1 bedroom for June at $200 a night.

We just got back from Hawaii and had units at Aulani and Marriott Ko Olina as we are owners with both DVC and Marriott Vacation Club. Both resorts were absolutely fabulous and we walked the beach path back and forth between the two resorts as we had 27 family members vacationing with us staying in units at both places

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind if you are debating between the Four Seasons and the Marriott is the pool(s)

The Four Seasons ones are not even close to the pool system at Aulani, I believe there is an adult only one and a family one. The ones at the Marriott are great for kids and there are three main pools

Just wanted to throw out an alternative of looking at Airbnb or VRBO for more economical options. There are also a variety of options for all budgets in Waikiki. And Turtle Bay in the North Shore may be worth looking into as well.

I mention this because of the 4 different areas we stayed in, Ko Olina was probably my least favorite. Its no doubt beautiful, but areas like Kailua or Haleiwa were more up our alley. That may be where we look next trip, if we don't stay at Aulani.

In laws stated at 4S, as we stayed at Aulani this last trip. I was embarrassed by how tacky Aulani staff treated "non band" family standing next to us as WE put down our towels (not for them). The second day my MIL said lets put our stuff down over on her side of the lagoon. 4S staff asked how many chairs we needed, got them ready for our whole group, brought sunscreen to the kids, walked out pool toys including a paddle board for free. That level of service was so nice after the chair struggle of Aulani.

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club has prepay rates for June of $312 a night for a studio/efficiency on Marriott.com. Renting from a Marriott owner on Redweek will save you some money - saw some studios for under $200 a night and a 1 bedroom for June at $200 a night.

We just got back from Hawaii and had units at Aulani and Marriott Ko Olina as we are owners with both DVC and Marriott Vacation Club. Both resorts were absolutely fabulous and we walked the beach path back and forth between the two resorts as we had 27 family members vacationing with us staying in units at both places
There is also a resort shuttle if you did not want to walk.

Both the Marriott and Four Seasons are nice, and have some nice restaurants and pools. They're both good, and yes, you can make dining reservations at Aulani and enjoy the quick service food. Neither of them is much cheaper than Aulani, though. I priced out a basic room (one bedroom with kitchen, mind you) at the Marriott as more expensive than a regular hotel room in Aulani for the same days in April 2019. Four Seasons would cost even more. Aulani may actually be the most economical option of the three, depending on your dates and availability.

I'm looking at June of this year. For a family of 5, the starting price is $1K+/night. I'm sure a 30% discount will come along soon. But even at that, with fees and parking, we're looking at $800/night for parking lot view. Man, I loved Aulani. But that just seems obscene. That's why we're looking nearby. It wouldn't be the same, I know, but I can't sacrifice an entire year of college for a kid all for just 5 or 6 days in the lap of luxury.

Here is something I am toying with doing for the next time.

A split stay with 5 or 6 nights in Kapolei at the new Embassy Suites which runs about $180-200 USD night.(for the time I am looking at) It doesnt include parking which is an extra $20 but does include a hot breakfast for everyone in the room so that makes up for it.

We would use this as a home base for island exploring and then spend 4 or 5 nights at Aulani with rented points

Personally I wouldn’t stay at the Kapolei Embassy Suites. It’s situated in a car park within a residential area. Stay in Waikiki where at least you can walk to the beach.

Personally I wouldn’t stay at the Kapolei Embassy Suites. It’s situated in a car park within a residential area. Stay in Waikiki where at least you can walk to the beach.

Yes that is true the location isn’t very touristy. I am not a big fan of Waikiki ( I know lots of people here are) but I have honestly regretted every single time I have stayed there and I am really pleased the option of Kapolei exists for me as a less expensive home base on Oahu. I have toyed with the newer Marriott up in the North near PCC as well.

I would never suggest this idea to a first time Oahu visitor, it is just my personal preference.

Last edited:
Yes that is true the location isn’t very touristy. I am not a big fan of Waikiki ( I know lots of people here are) but I have honestly regretted every single time I have stayed there and I am really pleased the option of Kapolei exists for me as a less expensive home base on Oahu. I have toyed with the newer Marriott up in the North near PCC as well.

I would never suggest this idea to a first time Oahu visitor, it is just my personal preference.

I hear ya. I was not a fan of Waikiki. To me, it was like Miami: hot, humid, a thousand hi-rises, crime, rampant drug use, and a crowded beach. With the difference being Miami is just a few hours away from WDW.

Aulani is the first time I've enjoyed Oahu. That's why I'm looking at the other Ko Olina hotels.

Aulani is the first time I've enjoyed Oahu. That's why I'm looking at the other Ko Olina hotels.

honestly-the Marriott is a very close second. If they had a lazy river I would probably just stay there. It is spread out with gorgeous gardens, the BBQs are for use all day and are super clean, there are tons of actually free activities that you can just join in like exceptional morning exercise classes and the pools and hot tubs are open late. I know you can book it fairly reasonably with Redweek but I have never used them.

honestly-the Marriott is a very close second. If they had a lazy river I would probably just stay there. It is spread out with gorgeous gardens, the BBQs are for use all day and are super clean, there are tons of actually free activities that you can just join in like exceptional morning exercise classes and the pools and hot tubs are open late. I know you can book it fairly reasonably with Redweek but I have never used them.
The Marriott Vacation Club at Ko Olina is gorgeous - I actually like their lagoon a little better.

During our visits to Aulani (4 so far) I've taken the time to wander over to both the Marriott & 4S just to see their grounds. I thought the Marriott property was pretty nice. The 4S didn't impress at all. Of course if you stay at the 4S you expect great service and room amenities. Not having actually stayed there I couldn't comment on how well they deliver on these expectations.

I'm looking at June of this year. For a family of 5, the starting price is $1K+/night. I'm sure a 30% discount will come along soon. But even at that, with fees and parking, we're looking at $800/night for parking lot view. Man, I loved Aulani. But that just seems obscene. That's why we're looking nearby. It wouldn't be the same, I know, but I can't sacrifice an entire year of college for a kid all for just 5 or 6 days in the lap of luxury.
Look at renting a 1 bedroom/1 bath next door at Marriotts Ko Olina beach club. Rooms are larger than Aulani rooms of same size. There are 3 nice pools and 7 hot tubs that you can use "officially" till 10pm each night. Though if you are npt making a lot of noise you can use them after 10pm (I have done it quiet a few times).

Quiet a few activities and the pools and hot tubs are not nearly as crowded as Aulani. Though if you come for a Disney experience with characters and themeing, you should not stay at thr Marriott. The best part is you should apend no more than $2500 or so for a week in a 1br.

This is coming from a home resort owner at Aulani and a member of Marriott Vacation Club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!