Near Old Town

KathyT

Mouseketeer
We will be staying at Comfort Suites Maingate East which is near Old Town in August. I was wondering if anyone knows of any restaurants or activities (like mini-golf) nearby that are easily walked to as we have decided not to get a rental car.

We stayed at the comfort suites you are refering to a year and a half ago. I wouldn't recommend it. It was ok. I would give it a 4 out of 10 rating. The rooms weren't the best and it was very noisy. It gets loud with all the traffic from the highway and old towne right next door. The pool was mediocre at best. You will be right in the middle of everything but sometimes it's not worth it. I don't know what you paid but we paid something like $79 a nite and I wouldn;t do it again. I would definetly look into other options. Their are some very beautiful resorts that offer awesome prices( with or without commiting to a timeshare tour. Last year I booked Ron Jon resorts for nine nights for $99 a nite that was without having to take the tour. YOu can get it for something like $129 for 3 nights and $69 for each additional nite if you agree to take the tour. We had a one bedroom condo fully equipped three beautiful pools a small water park one the property free of charge. I had a hard time getting my son away to go to wdw. He would've stayed their the whole time if we let him. We have toured some other resorts and most of them are beautiful but depending if you have children I would say this one is the most kid friendly. Oh yeah they also activities coordinaters all day for the kids. They organize all kinds of activities. Tie-dying, beach bag making, face painting, water games etc.....As you can see I can't say enough good about it. It is worth looking into. their webaddress is islandone.com We're leaving in 12 days can't wait. And yes we are staying at Ron Jon's again. This time for 2 full weeks.

:D :D :p :bounce:

Hi! We are heading down on Thursday and staying at the Comfort Inn Maingate East.
I will let you know what's around and how it is...
Take care.

Bonnie

Not to throw a wrench at your plans:p , but have you considered staying on property? I would highly recommend this if you are not going to have a car(and even if you do ;) ). I never read great things about those shuttles or that area. Have you checked out www.mousesavers.com ? If you have an annual pass there are reduced rates for your time. AND there may be other rates for those without the pass if you keep checking :) ! We have never paid more than $99 for a moderate in the summer using codes and specials:D ! have fun whatever you do!

To answer your question(rather than advise you to stay elsewhere) there is miniature golf within easy walking distance. There is also a pitch and putt golf course very close.
There are a number of restaurants in the area, including a Damons and a Red Lobster, along with some fast food and some non-chain restaurants.

Thank you for very much for your replies. I have decided on the Comfort Suites Maingate East because I heard many good things about it from this website. I also wrote to them requesting info and answers to some questions and they replied promptly. They were also very nice & informative on the phone. We will definitely be staying there and I hope it will be worthwhile. I really don't need a place with kids activities as my kids, 12&13, are not interested in them. We decided not to stay onsite this year as we will probably not be going to Disney. We will be going to Universal, Seaworld, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens and whatever else we decide to do. We stayed onsite at Dixie Landings 2 years ago and didn't go anywhere else. This year we will be doing everything but Disney.

Bonnie40 - I will be looking forward to hearing from you on your experiences with Comfort Suites. Hope you have a great time.

No problem...I'll post a note to you when we get back. I have seen alot
of positive feedback on this hotel as well. This is the first time we are staying
off-site. Considering the exchange on the dollar (we're from Canada) and the
fact that we would have to stay at a luxury resort within WDW (family of 5) or reserve
2 rooms, it ends up saving us over $100 per night. I realize how nice it can be to stay
on-site, but the savings are too good to pass on. As I said to the reservation clerk at Disney,
they aren't making it terribly affordable for larger families to stay on-site and she agreed! That
tells you something...

Anyway, we're off in 2 days and looking forward to hugging a palm tree! :)

Bonnie

can'tgetenufofwdw:

Are you sure you're talking about the same place? Comfort Suites Maingate is close to Highway 192 just west of Old Town and has been around a while. Comfort Suites Maingate East is behind Old Town and is only about 2 years old. I would hate to see the wrong place get a bad rap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter