NCL POA cruise, then Aulani

Awesome info.

So, since you're in Kona.....I'm planning our Kona day to just hang near the pier. Will definitely hit Kona Brewing as Fire Rick is my #1 favorite IPA. Had considered a Zodiac ride but just realized they are 3-5 hours long and my DH with his health issues will NOT go somewhere away from a bathroom that long :( So now I'm kinda considering an outrigger canoe ride so we won't be pressed for time to do one (Kona boys) while we're in Waikiki. Then thought we might just hang at Keiki Beach and/or fish off the pier (my kids love to fish). Thoughts???

Also, which zip on Kauai? Doing the tubing (Kauai backcountry) and thought about adding their zip. THANKS for the info!!! :)

Ha! Not to laugh, but I can totally relate to not being near a bathroom. It's a hassle sometimes! On Kauai, we used Skyline Eco Adventures. They were just awesome with our son with special needs. I didn't think he could to it, they made it happen. We've also done the tubing on Kauai and it was great. Highly recommend it. The Kona-side of the island has some of the best snorkeling in Hawaii, if you're into that. The Bodyglove cruise leaves right from the pier (and has bathrooms) or you can take a cab or HOHO shuttle to Kahaluu Beach Park and rent gear (bathrooms at the beach). Lots of people fish off the end of the pier but I'm not sure where to rent gear. The beach right there at the hotel is great as well, with some amenities. My son loves to swim there. Kona brewing is only a 10 minute or so walk although you can get Fire Rock at just about any of the bars/restaurants on Alii if you decide not to walk. Our favorite is Chillin' on the Bay. Awesome bartenders, great view and always a mix of locals and tourists. They only have bottled beer, if that matters.

The DIS Unplugged audio and video Podcast devoted 2 episodes to this as well. I think it was in the last 2 years. They did POA and Aulani split stay. Nice way to hear 5 opinions at once.
I know this is from a long time ago, but do you happen to know the name or number of this episode? I know I've seen it before, but am now having a really difficult time locating it and think it could be very helpful in my planning stages.

I know this is from a long time ago, but do you happen to know the name or number of this episode? I know I've seen it before, but am now having a really difficult time locating it and think it could be very helpful in my planning stages.
When I was searching for the Aulani and cruise podcasts, I had a hard time too. I think I remember that I found about six--I think there was a four-part cruise and Aulani and then two later just Aulani. (There are also one or two from when Aulani first opened; they have info about the inspiration and the build, but nothing much still relevant for trip planning.) IIRC, the four-parters were dated July and August.....but I can't swear what year!! 2015, I think. Try that and see what you come up with. Wish I'd noted that somewhere; sorry!!

I just wrote them an inquiry about it, directing them to this thread. Decent chance, 62%, they respond right here. Over/under is 3 days based on meta-analyses of their collective patterns. So, Wednesday morning I’d wager. :)

When I was searching for the Aulani and cruise podcasts, I had a hard time too. I think I remember that I found about six--I think there was a four-part cruise and Aulani and then two later just Aulani. (There are also one or two from when Aulani first opened; they have info about the inspiration and the build, but nothing much still relevant for trip planning.) IIRC, the four-parters were dated July and August.....but I can't swear what year!! 2015, I think. Try that and see what you come up with. Wish I'd noted that somewhere; sorry!!

I just wrote them an inquiry about it, directing them to this thread. Decent chance, 62%, they respond right here. Over/under is 3 days based on meta-analyses of their collective patterns. So, Wednesday morning I’d wager. :)

Hey, guys!

If you visit this page http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/aulani-hawaii-resort/#beyondaulani, you'll find links to two blog posts from DIS contributor Caity Lincoln about the 7-day Norwegian cruise out of Honolulu. In part one, there are links to Pete's 'Beyond Aulani' blog post and a link to the DIS Unplugged show I believe you guys are looking for.

I hope this helps! Let us know if these pages are still not helping with what you're looking for.

Happy planning! :goodvibes

~Jackie

Pete himself responded to the inquiry same day, on a Sunday no less.

Awesome.

Awesome info.

So, since you're in Kona.....I'm planning our Kona day to just hang near the pier. Will definitely hit Kona Brewing as Fire Rick is my #1 favorite IPA. Had considered a Zodiac ride but just realized they are 3-5 hours long and my DH with his health issues will NOT go somewhere away from a bathroom that long :( So now I'm kinda considering an outrigger canoe ride so we won't be pressed for time to do one (Kona boys) while we're in Waikiki. Then thought we might just hang at Keiki Beach and/or fish off the pier (my kids love to fish). Thoughts???

Also, which zip on Kauai? Doing the tubing (Kauai backcountry) and thought about adding their zip. THANKS for the info!!! :)
Did you end up doing the cruise? How was the trip? We are skipping Hawaii this summer but planning on going back for 2019. We love Aulani and I am so sad as to not going this summer but giving Disneyland a try.

You guys might also be interested in the Dreams Unlimited Travel Podcast 2-part series that is specifically about visiting Aulani!

Aulani; Part I: In this episode, the panel discusses their vacation at Aulani along with interviews from some of the Cast Members at Aulani!

Aulani; Part II: In this episode, the panel continues their discussion on Aulani!

Here are a couple of others that have more discussion on various aspects of an Aulani vacation too:

Traveling to Aulani - In this episode, Tracey Heinrichs discusses everything you need to know about planning, booking and traveling to Aulani after her most recent visit.

Aulani Room, Pool, and Recreation Information - In this episode, the panel discusses the ins and outs of Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, including the rooms and views, pools, recreation, spa treatments and more!

Dining at Aulani - In this episode, the panel discusses the dining options at Aulani - A Disney Resort & Spa.

Exploring Outside Aulani on Oahu - In this episode, the panel discusses the many things to do and see outside of Aulani on the island of Oahu!

Aulani Question & Answer - In this episode, the panel answers your questions about Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa!

Let us know if we can help with any other information you're looking for! :goodvibes

Awesome, @WebmasterJackie !!! Could you make an Aulani/Hawaii Podcast sticky?? I can't tell you how many times I watched and listened to those; they were invaluable to my planning!

Did you end up doing the cruise? How was the trip? We are skipping Hawaii this summer but planning on going back for 2019. We love Aulani and I am so sad as to not going this summer but giving Disneyland a try.
Yes, we did the cruise. Seeing 4 islands was amazing! Of course, I wish we'd had longer at each, but that's what next trips are for!! The ship definitely made a great base for our daily adventures.

Yes, we did the cruise. Seeing 4 islands was amazing! Of course, I wish we'd had longer at each, but that's what next trips are for!! The ship definitely made a great base for our daily adventures.
So if you had it to do over again, would you do the cruise & Aulani or do Aulani and another island? We did Maui last year and wanted to try Kauai but my friend is pushing towards the cruise.

So if you had it to do over again, would you do the cruise & Aulani or do Aulani and another island?
Although this question wasn't directed at me, please consider my response.

We did 7 nights at Aulani followed by the POA cruise in 2015. We've since been back to Aulani twice, with plans to do it again this year. Notice that POA is not included in that plan. Yes, we did enjoy the cruise but for us it was one and done. It was nice seeing the other islands. They are all charming. But we felt we can find just about all of that same stuff right on Oahu.

Awesome, @WebmasterJackie !!! Could you make an Aulani/Hawaii Podcast sticky?? I can't tell you how many times I watched and listened to those; they were invaluable to my planning!
Let me see what I can do about making a sticky for those!

I'm thrilled that they helped you so much with your planning! :yay:

Although this question wasn't directed at me, please consider my response.

We did 7 nights at Aulani followed by the POA cruise in 2015. We've since been back to Aulani twice, with plans to do it again this year. Notice that POA is not included in that plan. Yes, we did enjoy the cruise but for us it was one and done. It was nice seeing the other islands. They are all charming. But we felt we can find just about all of that same stuff right on Oahu.
Ok, kind of my feelings on it. Love Aulani and Oahu. Last summer was our 3rd year in a row to Aulani and we did 10 nights and then 3 on Maui. I was kind of leaning towards that again but doing Kauai instead. We find something new to do each year on Oahu. Thanks for responding.

Last edited:
Ok, kind of my feelings on it. Love Aulani and Oahu. Last summer was our 3rd year in a row to Aulani and we did 10 nights and then 3 on Maui. I was kind of leaning towards that again but doing Kauai instead. We find something new to do each year on Oahu. Thanks for responding.
Between those two choices, I'd definitely do Aulani/Oahu plus one other island over the cruise again. I really want to do Maui and Kauai next trip, but I agree with both of you--there was plenty of great stuff on Oahu! It's going to be hard to skip it. We may end up with a few days at Aulani and a week on Maui, and save Kauai for "next next time!!" LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts