NBA has apparently chosen a resort

I have read on several other Disney blogs that the NBA was considering AKL but it would not be big enough when the families are allowed to join the players. AKL would work for MLS but Kidani Village would have to be included or there wouldn't be enough rooms. Even if there were enough rooms in Jambo House they would not be able to use Kidani for DVC renters because the "bubble" would be broken. Not sure if Disney would displace people from Kidani....
I don’t think, with all the contractual point issues in regards to DVC because of the virus, that they can displace DVC owners/renters for the sports events. That is why they are opening all the DVC resorts before the parks - they need to get those points flowing ASAP. It doesn’t help that the DVC resorts, for the most part, have to share amenities with a deluxe resort and that removes those resorts as possible choices if you seriously want to maintain the bubble. The only one I can think of that might work, and it would still be iffy, is if they put players in GF, put up a barricade between GF and VGF, and made all VGF guests use the amenities at Poly since it’s close (not sure if that would overwhelm Poly though). Now, it’s entirely possible they would put them in a deluxe thinking they can make a mix of bubble and regular guests work, but if they do, I fully expect the bubble to be compromised. Hopefully if there’s a compromise of the bubble it won’t lead to illness, but it’s certainly a risk. You can’t maintain a sterile bubble if you are sharing access, or if fans have easy (although unauthorized) access to their favorite sports figures. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

I really think CSR makes sense for the NBA for the amount of rooms they are requesting. CSR now has over 2400 - it really does the trick in terms of space!

Does anyone know how many people will be coming with MLS? If we knew approximate numbers we might be able to start guessing where they are going! POR/POFQ sounds like a good choice, but where do you put any VIP's? Would Jambo or RIV be a better choice? I don't know how that affects DVC contracts.
[/QUO

I really think CSR makes sense for the NBA for the amount of rooms they are requesting. CSR now has over 2400 - it really does the trick in terms of space!

Does anyone know how many people will be coming with MLS? If we knew approximate numbers we might be able to start guessing where they are going! POR/POFQ sounds like a good choice, but where do you put any VIP's? Would Jambo or RIV be a better choice? I don't know how that affects DVC contracts.
There will be approximately 1100 people in the MLS travel party. That includes players, coaches , trainers and PR and digital staffs.

There will be approximately 1100 people in the MLS travel party. That includes players, coaches , trainers and PR and digital staffs.

Very interesting! So they could easily fit at POR or AKL-Jambo! It will be interesting watching all of this unfold!

The team currently #1 in the NBA standings, the Milwaukee Bucks, has a set of twins on the team - the Lopez brothers. They are crazy Disney fans and at least one owns a home at Golden Oak. Ever hear of a 7’ NBA player who has a favorite Disney princess?
The Lopez brothers are going to go crazy being onsite for more than two months, not visiting the parks, and staying in the bubble. Anyone hoping to see NBA players walking around is probably going to be out of luck. There is no way that the teams are going to risk any of their players contracting the virus.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/bl...offseason-home-at-disney-world-002234595.html

Last edited:

We have a reservation at GDT for end of Sept/beginning of October. I fully suspect we will be moved or canceled since they will be unable to determine exactly in advance when the games would end but would need to make sure the resort is available until the last possible game date. Sure hoping we get an upgrade for this rather than a cancelation as we for the first time decided to buy our plane tickets as part of the package and pretty sure those are non-refundable and we'll get charged with a fee if we cancel (if Dis cancels up I'm hoping due to the fact that we would be canceled for NBA and not the virus that they would absorb that airline cancelation fee).

We have a reservation at GDT for end of Sept/beginning of October. I fully suspect we will be moved or canceled since they will be unable to determine exactly in advance when the games would end but would need to make sure the resort is available until the last possible game date. Sure hoping we get an upgrade for this rather than a cancelation as we for the first time decided to buy our plane tickets as part of the package and pretty sure those are non-refundable and we'll get charged with a fee if we cancel (if Dis cancels up I'm hoping due to the fact that we would be canceled for NBA and not the virus that they would absorb that airline cancelation fee).

If you bought everything through Disney as part of a package (which it sounds like you did), if Disney cancels, they should refund everything, including the cost of the airline tickets. It's one of the few good reasons to book as a package....

Anyone hoping to see NBA players walking around is probably going to be out of luck. There is no way that the teams are going to risk any of their players contracting the virus.

True.....until their team is eliminated or tourney is over. Then they will be able to exit the bubble and take their families to the parks (and maybe move over to stay in a nice suite at a deluxe resort). I imagine there will be quite a few NBA players spotted once eliminated or playoffs/finals over.

Gran Destino
Occupants: Milwaukee Bucks, Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics, Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Miami Heat
Top teams will go Gran Destino
Grand Floridian
Occupants: Oklahoma City Thunder, Philadelphia 76ers, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Dallas Mavericks, Brooklyn Nets, Memphis Grizzlies, Orlando Magic
Yacht Club
Occupants: Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, New Orleans Pelicans, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards

Each team will reportedly have a 35-person traveling party of players, coaches, trainers and other miscellaneous staff, and players who leave the campus without permission will face a 10-14 day quarantine and pay cut.

Gran Destino
Occupants: Milwaukee Bucks, Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics, Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Miami Heat
Top teams will go Gran Destino
Grand Floridian
Occupants: Oklahoma City Thunder, Philadelphia 76ers, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Dallas Mavericks, Brooklyn Nets, Memphis Grizzlies, Orlando Magic
Yacht Club
Occupants: Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, New Orleans Pelicans, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards

Each team will reportedly have a 35-person traveling party of players, coaches, trainers and other miscellaneous staff, and players who leave the campus without permission will face a 10-14 day quarantine and pay cut.

How are they going to provide that bubble of protection at Yacht Club and Grand Floridian.

The whole point of staying at Disney seems not well thought out if they have to stay in the bubble and can't visit the parks or restaurants. It's like, look we have all this cool amusement park stuff but you are not allowed to go to it.

A Beach resort bubble actually seems like it would have been a much better deal for the players.

The whole point of staying at Disney seems not well thought out if they have to stay in the bubble and can't visit the parks or restaurants. It's like, look we have all this cool amusement park stuff but you are not allowed to go to it.

A Beach resort bubble actually seems like it would have been a much better deal for the players.

I don't think many (any) beaches have the sports and media/communications facilities needed for this. WWS has advanced broadcasting capabilities. The NBA is taking about 20 teams and 1200 people for this. Pretty much the only two options that could make this happen were Vegas and Disney.

Players aren't really there for vacay. I don't really think they care that much about the parks or entertainment. They're there to play/focus/win. They'll have access to a number restaurants and signature dining experiences will be created for them. They'll be offered golf and fishing experiences. They'll be offered private tours at the parks after/before hours. Bands are being brought in. They're getting early access to some big video games. Players are known to enjoy playing poker while traveling for playoffs, so they'll have card rooms set up for poker tourneys. They'll be fine.

I don't think many (any) beaches have the sports and media/communications facilities needed for this. WWS has advanced broadcasting capabilities. The NBA is taking about 20 teams and 1200 people for this. Pretty much the only two options that could make this happen were Vegas and Disney.
I don't think that's true because the first bubble idea was Aussie Rules Football going to a resort island to finish their season.

And now the UFC is going to tape shows at a Fighter Island in the Middle East.

I don't think that's true because the first bubble idea was Aussie Rules Football going to a resort island to finish their season.

And now the UFC is going to tape shows at a Fighter Island in the Middle East.

I follow the NBA pretty heavily. According to the league, Vegas and Disney were the only places that could meet their needs.

I follow the NBA pretty heavily. According to the league, Vegas and Disney were the only places that could meet their needs.
The Disney site is really just the Bob Iger/ABC connection.

I don't think it has anything to do with capacity, etc.
There are plenty of places around the country that have hotel capacity, sports and media facilities.

For example they could have easily held it at Resort properties in Miami on the beach.

The Disney site is really just the Bob Iger/ABC connection.

I don't think it has anything to do with capacity, etc.
There are plenty of places around the country that have hotel capacity, sports and media facilities.

For example they could have easily held it at Resort properties in Miami on the beach.

Where in those resort properties were they going to put minimum 6 regulation-sized basketball courts? Which of those Miami beach resorts have extensive training/physical therapy equipment in-house? Which of those beach properties have advanced communication/tv/broadcasting/streaming capabilities?

And yes, of course connections matter. ESPN (Disney) lost $306 million in broadcasting revenue when the NBA paused the season. Why would Disney/NBA/ESPN not use facilities that are custom-designed for this exact sort of thing? To have it anywhere BUT Disney would have been a waste of money and resources and would have been positively stupid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter