NBA Experience opens at Disney Springs August 12th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit that I am not the NBA fan that I used to be and the venue doesn't hold much interest for me beyond curiosity, but I certainly don't want it to fail. It's better for it to be successful and offer a new entertainment option for many. Disney Springs needs more of that.

Just an FYI to anyone concerned about the popularity of the NBA and if this will be a success:

The growth in NBA revenue is up 25% from the previous year (roughly $7.4 billion)
With all these new TV contracts (Turner, ABC, ESPN), the league's popularity continues to grow at staggering numbers.
If this NBA Experience is done right, organized and priced appropriately, I see no reason why this doesn't succeed in already overcrowded Disney Springs environment that should provide a substantial amount of foot traffic.

Just an FYI to anyone concerned about the popularity of the NBA and if this will be a success:

The growth in NBA revenue is up 25% from the previous year (roughly $7.4 billion)
With all these new TV contracts (Turner, ABC, ESPN), the league's popularity continues to grow at staggering numbers.
If this NBA Experience is done right, organized and priced appropriately, I see no reason why this doesn't succeed in already overcrowded Disney Springs environment that should provide a substantial amount of foot traffic.
Possibly. But, for that to be meaningful for NBA Exp, a few things must also be true:
1. There's a correlation between NBA fans and WDW visitors
2. WDW is family vacation, so if only half the family are NBA fans, will the whole family go? Will they be willing to split up?
3. Even if the family likes/loves the NBA, it doesn't necessarily mean the experience will win out against LOTS of competing family activities

If I were running the place, I would not charge admission, and instead charge per activity (or package of activities). This will encourage moderate fans/non-fans to check it out, and maybe decide to try things that look fun. This will also help NBA fans convince non-fans in their family to give it a try.

Easier to convince a non-fan to check out a free to enter, than if it were $$$ to enter.

Possibly. But, for that to be meaningful for NBA Exp, a few things must also be true:
1. There's a correlation between NBA fans and WDW visitors
2. WDW is family vacation, so if only half the family are NBA fans, will the whole family go? Will they be willing to split up?
3. Even if the family likes/loves the NBA, it doesn't necessarily mean the experience will win out against LOTS of competing family activities

If I were running the place, I would not charge admission, and instead charge per activity (or package of activities). This will encourage moderate fans/non-fans to check it out, and maybe decide to try things that look fun. This will also help NBA fans convince non-fans in their family to give it a try.

Easier to convince a non-fan to check out a free to enter, than if it were $$$ to enter.
1. I would think there is at least some. ESPN/ABC (owned by Disney) have major TV deals with the NBA. I would imagine they know a but about the demographics coming to WDW and viewing the NBA.
2. Depends on the family. No different than say princesses. When my sisters and I were younger, my dad and I would go do something else while my sisters and mom would go do princess stuff.
3. That is true for this and any experience. They could've put any major sports brand in here or even DisneyQuest, there is no guarantee that it will win out against something else.

2. Depends on the family. No different than say princesses. When my sisters and I were younger, my dad and I would go do something else while my sisters and mom would go do princess stuff.
Yes, to an extent. But, I would wager the time split for Princesses/other stuff would be much less than needed to check out NBAE. A family willing to split for an attraction or two may not be willing to split for a few hours (my guess as to how long people will spend there based on absolutely nothing).

My oldest DD loves basketball but I don’t think she knows the NBA exists as we couldn’t care less. This opens the day we leave FL but maybe we will visit on a future visit if timing and cost are good...

In an era when football interest is high, but possibly plateauing (I have no stats for this - just my educated guess), I can see NBA interest growing. Also, basketball has a greater global following than most other popular American sports (soccer not being the big draw here as it is elsewhere around the world). So I could see this appealing to a wider audience than most might initially think.

Yes, to an extent. But, I would wager the time split for Princesses/other stuff would be much less than needed to check out NBAE. A family willing to split for an attraction or two may not be willing to split for a few hours (my guess as to how long people will spend there based on absolutely nothing).

This hypothetical family could be spending a half-day at DS and I could see the non-interested half shopping for a few hours while the interested half check out NBAE.

The artist rendition makes it look like they will show actual games on the big outdoor screen?

The big screen at NBC Sports Bar & Grill at Universal only shows pre-recorded videos. It would be really cool to have them show Monday Night Football and things like that on that screen.

Probably will just broadcast the NBA Network on that screen.

$35 per adult is cheaper than DQ was.

"All tickets are nontransferable and nonrefundable and exclude activities/events separately priced."

I wonder if this is more CYA, or many/most activities will be upcharges? Interesting what, exactly, is included in the price of admission.

Also, reentry is not permitted. I can see people being very aggravated by this.

This is great! Bribing my 2 ds's with this will probably be the only way I can get them back to WDW.

This is a great price point - I'm sure it will go up over time. But still need to see what would be priced separately. But, for my family, I'm sure this will be on the docket on our next trip.

This is great! Bribing my 2 ds's with this will probably be the only way I can get them back to WDW.
How do you think I'm getting DH back down there??? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter