NBA at Walt Disney World

I’m a Knicks fan

My condolences (love, a Nets fan, LOL!)

I think the timing along with the post yesterday regarding the possible August opening, lead ppl to that conclusion

I think people need to stop reading rumors as gospel. It would be nice if people would just wait for official announcements from Disney and not get their knickers in knots because some anonymous person on the internet claims they have insider info.

Ugh. We have a trip in the middle of August. Hope this doesn't bring crowds and security issues.

There will be no fans in attendance and they will create their own bubble. I will speculate that general guests on property may not even notice they are there unless they happen to pass a bus with the words "Wide World of Sports" on it. They do not want the NBA and general guests intermingling at all.

I think people need to stop reading rumors as gospel. It would be nice if people would just wait for official announcements from Disney and not get their knickers in knots because some anonymous person on the internet claims they have insider info.

There will be no fans in attendance and they will create their own bubble. I will speculate that general guests on property may not even notice they are there unless they happen to pass a bus with the words "Wide World of Sports" on it. They do not want the NBA and general guests intermingling at all.

I wouldn't say gospel, but maybe just speculation, which is natural given the information that is currently out there ( not the rumors, the actual news) -

Isn't that what this entire page is about. Everything anyone on here is saying is all rumors at this time. Nobody has any facts all just speculation.

I wouldn't say gospel, but maybe just speculation, which is natural given the information that is currently out there ( not the rumors, the actual news) -

What actual news would lead anyone to predict WDW isn't opening until August?

Its not an easy thing to admit, but my loyalty will always remain, no matter how absolutely terrible they are, and how they somehow get worse with every passing season

I totally get it! We live just outside NYC and are surrounded by die-hard Knicks fans. We've invited them to "cross the bridge" to Brooklyn and it's always an absolute NO, LOL!

What actual news would lead anyone to predict WDW isn't opening until August?

I totally get it! We live just outside NYC and are surrounded by die-hard Knicks fans. We've invited them to "cross the bridge" to Brooklyn and it's always an absolute NO, LOL!

Just speculating, based on what we already know - Disney has not yet said we ARE opening in July
Reservations have been cancelled thru mid-june , I believe ?
(6/13?)
The NBA deal - ( MIGHT have something to do with the parks not opening in July (at least that no announcement has been made either way- again, just speculating)
Just trying to piece together the puzzle -

I think we're all overthinking this: The NBA is bringing all the teams to Orlando. Each team has 1 hour in the NBA Experience to rack up as many points as they can... Winner takes the trophy!

(...all kidding aside I do bet we see some sad looking PR campaign for NBA Experience out of all this...)

It’s not like the NBA is Tennis or something. No offense to tennis but the NBA is an international draw. More so than NFL and MLB even. Obviously the NFL is more popular here but the NBA is pretty popular across the globe.

Tennis is just as popular as the NBA internationally, and pending what source you look at, some rank tennis higher than basketball as far as most popular. NBA really isn't super popular outside of America and China (which heavily skews the popularity numbers).

As someone who's career is in tennis, I will fight you forever on this lol

Geez there were a lot of posts in the last 8 hours to catch up on (number of pages doubled since this afternoon):

Just to add to the advertising point: last year's NBA finals (went 6 games, televised on ABC) generated $266 million in ad revenue.

This actually gave me a light bulb moment I hadn't thought about with following all of this and have not heard mentioned by any of the NBA coverage I've heard:

Adam Silver (NBA Commissioner) has been pushing the idea of trying to create some type of in-season tournament. If this goes well enough for the league and for Disney, perhaps it becomes a neutral site tournament held at Disney each year. If that could be the case, this could be big for both the NBA and Disney.

Well, not just speculation, this had been reported as a possibility this week. It appears from today's announcements that they're looking at just Orlando now. As far as the straight to playoffs, I saw a report that the league was polling the owners today to get an idea of their preferences as to whether to play some regular season games, all of them, none of them, play-in tournament, etc.

Well that was a terrible headline, especially considering it's on NBA.com. It was just about the same statement that was reported everywhere earlier today - that they're "engaged in exploratory conversations." There was nothing "official" about them restarting the season in July at WDW.

Just heard this discussed a few days ago on a podcast. I think it would be really cool, and it was their suggestion to just have a few minute delay on the broadcasts in order to censor any language (they also pointed out there'd have to be no live betting that is usually available on games).

Bill Simmons has been pounding the drum on this since at least early this year, if not a lot longer (can't remember when he started pushing it) and just having the league go from December through August. I think it's the Christmas games that typically start bringing audiences anyway.

I have been advocating for mid season tournaments in several sports for a while. And a mid season “bowl” season for college football.
Tennis is just as popular as the NBA internationally, and pending what source you look at, some rank tennis higher than basketball as far as most popular. NBA really isn't super popular outside of America and China (which heavily skews the popularity numbers).

As someone who's career is in tennis, I will fight you forever on this lol

I started to say the same thing, but wasn't sure if it was still true. I played tennis in high school and I know at the time it was the #2 sport in the world behind soccer.

His plan is much better than the world cup style. I agree it invalidates the entire season if you do the world cup style. Plus this lets the entire league come back. I just hope they speed up the playoffs and don't take so many days off between games since they don't have to travel.

they can reduce travel days but still need rest days but yeah there are places they could put a one day gap between days vs two.

His plan is much better than the world cup style. I agree it invalidates the entire season if you do the world cup style. Plus this lets the entire league come back. I just hope they speed up the playoffs and don't take so many days off between games since they don't have to travel.
The first round is ridiculous with them amount of off days.

I dont think the NBA is going to follow the NHL with having a 24 team playoff but if they did, theyd have 16 teams battling in a 5 game series. They would probably alternate

Day One - 4 games
Day Two - 4 games (the other 8 teams)
Day Three - 8 games (Every team)
Day Four - 4 games (if necessary)
Day Five - 4 games (if necessary)
Day Six - 8 games (if necessary)
Day Seven - 8 games (if necessary)

At most the first round would be 7-8 days. At best, Five days.

Before anyone says they could do 8 games each day, these players will have had 4 months off. They’ll need days off. Not as many as if they were traveling, but they’ll need rest days up until the final 2 games, if they need to be played.

The next 4 rounds would be where it would take 2 months because they probably would stick to 4 or less games a day and use the full arena rather than the smaller courts.

The next 4 rounds would be where it would take 2 months because they probably would stick to 4 or less games a day and use the full arena rather than the smaller courts.

Why? What is the point if there are no fans? The only reason I think they'll play them slower is to get the most tv revenue out of it. They won't want any playoff games overlapping if they can help it.

Why? What is the point if there are no fans? The only reason I think they'll play them slower is to get the most tv revenue out of it. They won't want any playoff games overlapping if they can help it.

Because they’ll have had off for 4.5 months when they start. The same length of a normal offseason. You cant just jump back in and play every day and expect these guys not to get hurt. Players in the KBO are dropping like flies to injuries because they didnt get long enough of a period to warm up their bodies to play every day

Because they’ve had off for 4 months. The same length of a normal offseason. You cant just jump back in and play every day and expect these guys not to get hurt. Players in the KBO are dropping like flies to injuries because they didnt get long enough of a period to warm up their bodies to play every day

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My "why" was only about the playing the games on the one big arena.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My "why" was only about the playing the games on the one big arena.

Because why use the small courts when you can play 4 games a day in the main arena. Even with there being no fans, it’ll give these players more of a big game feel than playing on makeshift courts

Thats assuming they go with the 24 team playoff, which doesnt seem likely. I’m not saying they wont use all the courts, I’m just guessing this is what they’d prefer to do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter