Navigating WDW with Post Concussion Symptoms

CANmouseketeer

Earning My Ears
I've been combating post concussion symptoms for the last 3 months and I'm not sure they'll be fully gone by the time we head to WDW in a few months. Any suggestions on rides to avoid? It's mostly sensitivity to noise and sometimes light depending on the day. We're travelling with a young toddler so no plans for any rollercoasters, but still hoping to try out SWGE rides if possible. Likely will have to do rider swap unless she gets tall enough and wants to ride by then.

Also, is trying to get DAS worth it? I'm worried about the noises in line. And can you do rider swap in the single rider line?

And any tips on managing at the resort? We're staying at Pop Century.

Thanks! Excited about the trip but more daunting with this not subsiding as quickly.

I had a very serious accident and brain injury a few years go so I can imagine how that is. I definitely continued to improve for a long time after so don't give up hope. At this point I am able to ride just about everything. Perhaps the FAQ here has details on rides with more noise/light for those with sensitivities. I find getting fast passes and then using the "refresh" method (perhaps search for that here - it's essentially just refreshing the app to get fourth and subsequent fast passes after the first three for things you want to ride at a good time) works really well for me. You may also want to take advantage of EMH and try to get there early - you can do a lot with few people around the earlier you get there that's for sure!

I've stayed at Pop a lot - the food court can be a zoo and noisy if you hit it at peak times. You might want to find a seat outside and send in someone to get your food if it's crazy busy. Honestly the restaurants in the parks are also an issue for me - especially when they are filled to the gills and I cannot find a seat. I rely on people traveling with me to help or I make ADR's so I can sit in a quiet place and eat. I think the noise in restaurants is worse than any noise in the lines for rides - actually the ride line noise seems fairly quiet and humming compared to the noise you hear walking around in the parks where people are yelling out to each other or calling out for their kids and what not. I would suggest some noise cancelling headphones/earbuds but with a toddler that might be impossible to use.

For noise problems I use over the ear noise canceling ear protector ( you can also use ear plugs if you like they also have them at first aid). I have used mine on just about every ride at Disney ( have not been on the new Star Wars ride yet).

To get a Das Your need to stop by GR and explain your needs/ concerns for the line and why you can not wait in the normal line They do not care about DX just needs/ concerns.

Love pop the walls are thin so sometimes noise travels I find a room not close to the main pool to be quiet and will some times bring my white noise Machine to help damper any noise

I've been combating post concussion symptoms for the last 3 months and I'm not sure they'll be fully gone by the time we head to WDW in a few months. Any suggestions on rides to avoid? It's mostly sensitivity to noise and sometimes light depending on the day. We're travelling with a young toddler so no plans for any rollercoasters, but still hoping to try out SWGE rides if possible. Likely will have to do rider swap unless she gets tall enough and wants to ride by then.

Also, is trying to get DAS worth it? I'm worried about the noises in line. And can you do rider swap in the single rider line?

And any tips on managing at the resort? We're staying at Pop Century.

Thanks! Excited about the trip but more daunting with this not subsiding as quickly.
Hey there! A few recommendations:

I stayed at Pop century recently and found that if you stay in one of the far buildings, you'll have a bit more of a walk but it was silent! You'll also be close to the parking lot which you can cut through to get to the bus stop (I believe I was in the 90's building).

I don't have experience with concussions personally, but I get anxiety in large crowds and noises usually trigger headaches for me so I hope I can be of some help!

Definitely avoid rides with heavy simulators (soarin, flight if passage, star tours etc). Give smugglers run a try if it's a big reason you're going but definitely take it easy otherwise. I recommend going to the parks early in the day and heading out before the parade (lots of commotion, noises and overstimulation) and come back mid-afternoon after taking a break at the hotel.

If you've got a toddler AND a concussion, it's probably a good idea to get DAS just because long lines in confined spaces with potential for a child to get upset might not be ideal for a concussed person ☺️

Read the ride descriptions and warnings. If they warn about back problems then I would be careful riding with post concussion symptoms. Disney can be very overwhelming especially with sensory issues. Take your time and try to have some quiet times in between rides. I find the restaurants to be very noisy and it helps to eat outside rather than inside.

Last edited:
If you are eligible for a DAS you will still have to wait on the Fast Pass line. It often runs along side of the standby line so it is noisy. Often times you merge with the stand by line. You may want to take ear plugs or headphones.
Try to take breaks in a quiet spot. We find sitting outside to eat is more peaceful.
We stay at Pop and find the rooms closest to the lake are very quiet. The food court can be very busy so go on off hours or bring the food outside or back to your room. Have a great trip!

If you are eligible for a DAS you will still have to wait on the Fast Pass line. It often runs along side of the standby line so it is noisy. Often times you merge with the stand by line. You may want to take ear plugs or headphones.
Try to take breaks in a quiet spot. We find sitting outside to eat is more peaceful.
We stay at Pop and find the rooms closest to the lake are very quiet. The food court can be very busy so go on off hours or bring the food outside or back to your room. Have a great trip!

Yes, this is important to note. Many rides are NOISY in the FP line (well, any line). 7dmt is especially so, and I barely tolerated it (but I wanted to ride sooooo bad). Characters in the them are talking (Buzz on the Toy story rides, etc), the ride is noisy, people are talking over the noise of the theming, etc. Some of the theming causes much of the noise I think- the Little Mermaid is a cave and is very LOUD. I wouldn’t be surprised if its actually damaging the CMs’ hearing is some cases.

Headphones area a good idea if you can tolerate them. Or maybe invisible ear plugs (I’ll try that next time).

Yes, this is important to note. Many rides are NOISY in the FP line (well, any line). 7dmt is especially so, and I barely tolerated it (but I wanted to ride sooooo bad). Characters in the them are talking (Buzz on the Toy story rides, etc), the ride is noisy, people are talking over the noise of the theming, etc. Some of the theming causes much of the noise I think- the Little Mermaid is a cave and is very LOUD. I wouldn’t be surprised if its actually damaging the CMs’ hearing is some cases.

Headphones area a good idea if you can tolerate them. Or maybe invisible ear plugs (I’ll try that next time).

Chiming in to say that I HATE the Buzz Lightyear line. One part of the line is a tight hallway with flashing red lights and siren noises. I can totally tolerate it, but if someone has light or noise sensitivities, or PTSD, it would be really triggering. The load area of Thunder Mountain is also pretty loud, and if you are stuck down there about to get on the ride, it can be really annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter