Na'vi River Journey -or- Avatar Flight of Passage ?

gorjus121

DIS Veteran
Last minute change to AK has now got me on the crazy search to get FPs. We arrive in two weeks. Has anyone had luck getting Fps for either of these attractions last minute? Which should I go for over the other? I'm not confident I would get both this late in the game. We are a family with two boys ages 8 & 10. TIA!

FOP is by far the better ride, so if you somehow find that, grab it! If not, get to the park about an hour before opening OR try about 30 min prior to closing to ride with the shortest wait. It's an amazing ride.

As pp said if you don't have FP then head to the park for rope drop at least an hour early as suggested or 1/2 hour before closing. Honestly, FoP is the best ride hands down and hence its popularity. Don't get discourage and continue to check regularly throughout the day for FP. Sometimes people cancel or change their plans. Have a great vacation and good luck!

Boys that age will love FOP. Keep trying or make it happen one of the other ways mentioned. It really doesn't matter if you do Navi or not.

A friend of mine found a same day FOP FP+ during Thansksgiving week - he said just keep checking and maybe you will get lucky.

Keep trying but odds are against you. I periodically tried today moving a same day FP up for FoP but no luck at all. Was hoping any time at all would pop up vs my 8-9pm timeslot but nothing

Last minute change to AK has now got me on the crazy search to get FPs. We arrive in two weeks. Has anyone had luck getting Fps for either of these attractions last minute? Which should I go for over the other? I'm not confident I would get both this late in the game. We are a family with two boys ages 8 & 10. TIA!

FYI: You can't have both on the same day. They are both Tier 1 rides, you have to pick one. FoP is the one you really want.

We got a same day FP+ for FoP last Wednesday (for 3 people) but it did take me almost half an hour of continuous refreshing. We had left the park for a break, so I was just killing time while the kids swam. Na'vi River popped up several times while I was checking - it is much easier to get same day. If you don't have that kind of time (or desire to try that hard) I would definitely plan to rope drop FoP. It may be the only ride that my family would consider "worth the hassle". With boys that age, I wouldn't worry about Na'vi River too much - it's pretty but there's not much to it. Unless you can ride with little to no wait, it's more fun to just explore the scenery around Pandora.

We were there a few weeks ago and rode both rides on 2 seperate days at AK. The first day was at rope drop for FoP and then a fast pass at Na'vi. The second time we went was at night, around 6:00. We were able to walk on to Everest, then Dinosaur, and then made our way over to FoP. The wait time said 45 mins but I timed it and it was less, around 35. After that we walked right on to Na'vi River Journey. Pandora is a must see at night so Id highly suggest that strategy if you can't get a FP (which will be difficult for FoP).

We were in line for the river journey when I looked for a FP+ for FOP and there was more than 1 available. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get one. Yes you can. We rode the river journey and walked over to FOP and got right on :)

Thank you all for your input. I was able to get 4 Na'vi River Journey Fps together in the am with some work. I haven't seen anything come up for FOP. I'll change these out for FOP if that becomes available. At this late stage Im happy I at least have these :) The park opens at 8 am we are considering RD.

Last edited:
My dd just got 4 for Saturday the 31st - she found an available Navi river yesterday and then refreshed a few times a day, about noon today she was able to book 4 FOP for early evening.

Just keep trying if/when you get a chance.

Thank you all for your input. I was able to get 4 Na'vi River Journey Fps together in the am with some work. I haven't seen anything come up for FOP. I'll change these out for FOP if that becomes available. At this late stage Im happy I at least have these :) The park opens at 8 am we are considering RD.

UPDATE: We decided to break and go back to the hotel after lunch and returned to AK at 6 pm. I happened to be over on the bridge by Everest getting a sunset pic around 7:30 pm then quickly checked for FOP FPs. To my amazement 4 showed up for 7:35 pm!! We walked right on while others were in line for 180 minute wait. We were definitely lucky but thank you to those who encouraged to keep checking. That was the most incredible ride! Our boys loved it! We enjoyed Na'vi River and were happy we had those Fps but I would not wait more than 45 mins for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!