Narcoossee’s or Jiko on a rainy night?

Beachmom0317

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!
So hubby and I are booked for Narcoossee’s this Saturday night. We made an ADR at 8:20 and we’re planning on watching fireworks on their deck. I know the forecast can change, but right now it looks windy and rainy for Saturday night. Not sure I wanna be standing outside for fireworks- even though I am a New Englander and will thug it out in the conditions if I have to haha ...I know you can see fireworks from inside Narcoossee’s but I had read sometimes the window view is obstructed by patrons on the deck. We’re staying at AKL with a rental car and now I’m contemplating maybe I should just book Jiko and skip the whole fireworks plan?! We’ve never been to either! Not sure what Disney’s plan for fireworks is with rain and wind.

I was just writing on another thread about how much I adore Jiko. I'd definitely go with that option. For sure with likely inclement weather but probably under any circumstances. Full disclosure, I've not tried Narcoossee's. The Victoria Falls lounge is lovely for a pre-dinner cocktail. Lots of "nooks and crannies" around the lodge to sit as well. If a break in the weather, checking out the savannas is fun (especially the night vision goggles, which will be easier to catch now that it gets dark so darn early). And dinner at Jiko is an event -- service and food and wine all excellent. If you haven't already, lots of displays to explore around the Lodge lobby - both permanent and "pop-up." When I was there a few weeks ago, there were two cultural representatives who had set up a display of various animal skulls. We ended up having a lovely conversation and I learned a few things. There's often a wood carver by the shop, which I think is fun to browse as well.

Regarding fireworks, the show generally goes on unless the wind is so intense that it creates a hazard for surrounding areas. I think cancellations are fairly rare.

Hope you have fun with whatever you choose!!

Although I love both places, but if there's a good chance of bad weather, I'd go with Jiko. First, if it's windy and raining, you're not going to enjoy walking to Narcoosees as it's quite a walk and at the back of the GF. Second, if it's bad weather, they may cancel the fireworks.

The boat from MK goes right to the dock where Narcoossees is, but if the weather is bad they might not run the boat, I think, so yes, you will have to walk a bit to get there. It is fun to watch the fireworks from there! And the cheesecake, unbelievable!! The rest of the menu, though, is fish-heavy. You can get fish up here in New England!

But Jiko is so unique! The restaurant is beautiful and the food is really something that you will find unusual and transporting! But not too, too crazy. I'd say do Jiko, and save yourself from fretting over the weather circumstance.

The boat from MK goes right to the dock where Narcoossees is, but if the weather is bad they might not run the boat, I think, so yes, you will have to walk a bit to get there. It is fun to watch the fireworks from there! And the cheesecake, unbelievable!! The rest of the menu, though, is fish-heavy. You can get fish up here in New England!

But Jiko is so unique! The restaurant is beautiful and the food is really something that you will find unusual and transporting! But not too, too crazy. I'd say do Jiko, and save yourself from fretting over the weather circumstance.
That’s a good point. Not only are we New Englanders, we live on Cape Cod lol so we can always grab seafood whenever. I’m leaning towards Jiko since we’ll be staying at AKL anyways!

Another vote for Jiko.
We've had good food at Narcoossees, but the food has never been close to what we have had on multiple meals at Jiko.

That’s a good point. Not only are we New Englanders, we live on Cape Cod lol so we can always grab seafood whenever. I’m leaning towards Jiko since we’ll be staying at AKL anyways!

Near Truro? Captain's Choice!! Such good fresh fish and chips! But I digress . . . .

Hi everyone!
So hubby and I are booked for Narcoossee’s this Saturday night. We made an ADR at 8:20 and we’re planning on watching fireworks on their deck. I know the forecast can change, but right now it looks windy and rainy for Saturday night. Not sure I wanna be standing outside for fireworks- even though I am a New Englander and will thug it out in the conditions if I have to haha ...I know you can see fireworks from inside Narcoossee’s but I had read sometimes the window view is obstructed by patrons on the deck. We’re staying at AKL with a rental car and now I’m contemplating maybe I should just book Jiko and skip the whole fireworks plan?! We’ve never been to either! Not sure what Disney’s plan for fireworks is with rain and wind.
I'm not a fan of Jiko, and generally enjoy the uncomplicated New England'y seafood-centric menu at Narcoossees.

Also, of all the Monorail restaurants, Narcoossee's may have the best view of (just the) fireworks.

But I rarely suggest anyone travel within Disney for food, because I don't find the trouble to be 'worth' the effort.

In a nutshell - I'd eat at Jiko if staying at AKLodge.

Also, if you want to really enjoy the fireworks, purchase Garden Viewing Dessert Party in MK - it's 'worth' the money.

We’re on the other end! I’ll have to venture down Cape one day to check it out:) I know Ptown also has amazing restaurants!

Ahhh, Seafood Sam's then!

Seriously, you will love Jiko, and then a drink at Victoria Falls. AKL is so beautiful at night!

Ahhh, Seafood Sam's then!

Seriously, you will love Jiko, and then a drink at Victoria Falls. AKL is so beautiful at night!
Thank you! Can’t wait to check out Victoria falls on arrival night. We land Friday afternoon! And yes loooove seafood Sam’s! Fisherman’s view, and the pilot house at the canal are amazing too!

I really like Narcoossees however I would not leave AKL for a rainy night there. I would book Jiko and enjoy the rainy evening at "home"

As much as we love the food at Narcoossee's, we tried Jiko for the first time this year and loved it. There was a singer who was wonderful and the food delicious. The fireworks view is awesome at Narcoossee's, but the walk there from GF is not fun after a park day & in bad weather not so great. You also miss the projections on the castle, which I would only do if I was seeing HEA another time during our trip.

Not a Narcoossee's fan. Love the location and view but been underwhelmed with service and food. Being a New England girl myself, I find I am quickly disappointed when I try to eat seafood away from "home." Expensive lesson learned! I would opt for Jiko especially if the weather is predicted to be not so great. You can have a relaxing resort night and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!

I love both places but I really consider Jiko to be the best restaurant on property. Food and service second to none. But I have reserved Narcoossee's for the food and fireworks and have stayed seated before very successfully.

We have frequented Narcoosee many times.....great view of the fireworks, the food is pretty good....but service the past two years has gone downhill imo. We have had a few bad....meaning long waits for waiters to come, forgetting about us and our food etc. If you aren't worried about that, then it's great for fireworks.
I am not a fan of Niko, but MANY love it. We've only eaten there twice. Both times, service was amazing, it has a great vibe/ feel to it too....just not a fan of the seasoning on the steak and other food. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter