Napping and room checks

That's possible, and may be the better of bad options, but say 1 person went back and decided to get a shower. They either need to leave the door unlatched and risk security coming in, or latch it and leave everyone stranded until they're out of the shower and presentable to open the door. Same if they're napping--they'd have to get woken up to let someone in.

You basically can just never count on being able to have an peaceful rest in your room again. :(
Latching the door is not feasible with my family either. At this point, you've just got to make peace with the security check. Yes it can be a nuisance and yes it can be intrusive, but I don't think it's going away.

I haven't looked back through this thread to check, but I think I mentioned our trip in December at POFQ. We had one bad experience in March, which I've discussed before. This time in December, I was wary of these room checks. We asked if we could have our cleaning in a generous time frame and this was done every day. Housekeeping and the front desk even said to put the Room Occupied sign on our door when we were in the room so we wouldn't be disturbed.
This was a complete change from March! I hope that this policy is changing with time and becoming more "user friendly". We were pleasantly surprised and happy with our last visit. We were able to relax and get much needed rest each day.

My last trip we were only there one night and I forgot to put the latch on the door when we came in, did put out the room occupied sign. We were partaking in some adult activities when someone walked into the room. It was a huge suite so I didn't hear the knock, just a person's voice. I freaked out and screamed and scared the guy who apologized and left quickly. It was kind of funny and luckily the suite had a separate bedroom so no one saw us. Only time experiencing these room checks and I've been going a lot since the policy started.

It might not be going away, but I am! :D Between that and the parking, I'm staying offsite at least 50% of the time now, where I used to be an onsite-only kind of gal.

They still get your money if you go there. If people really want to make a statement they need to go somewhere else for a vacation and not spend a dime at WDW.

We were at BWV from 01/26/19 - 02/01/19. We traveled about the same time last year and stayed at BWV. Last year we specifically requested that the room checks happen either before 1pm, or after 4pm. We had no issues last year. This year I decided not to say anything at check in about the room checks, to just see how it plays out. We always used the room occupied sign when we were in the room. The trash was always emptied by the time we returned around 12 or 1pm and we were never bothered while in our room.

So can’t you just flip the lock on the door (the one high up like where a chain lock would be, that keeps the door from opening more than a few inches) to prevent them from coming in when you’re in the room? I don’t mind answering the door for them, but in a DVC villa I might not hear the door knock from the next room, and even if I do I’d need a minute to get there, and do not want them walking in on my teen daughter, who has autism.

I hope these go smoothly at SSR in April. I always try to be understanding and helpful when I can.

Are the times for the hotel room checks completely random or can guests request to not be disturbed before a certain time in the morning or for a nap? The whole reason we’d go back to the hotel mid-day would be to rest so having a room check if were napping defeats the purpose. Or maybe the checks happen so infrequently it’s not an issue? Wondering if there’s any way to ask Disney to avoid certain times. Thanks!
Not really a reply but a question, what are these room checks all about? I am someone who enjoys her privacy and peace and quiet and being comfortable in my room, are you saying people working at the resort can just access my room and enter unannounced? For what purpose, sounds like an invasion of privacy.

Not really a reply but a question, what are these room checks all about? I am someone who enjoys her privacy and peace and quiet and being comfortable in my room, are you saying people working at the resort can just access my room and enter unannounced? For what purpose, sounds like an invasion of privacy.

Disney has had a policy for the last year or so that a cast member will enter your room for a check at least once every 24 hours. They have not made the reason for these checks public. Generally, this is accomplished by having housekeeping service your room, but there have been random reports that guests occasionally get an additional check. If you're out of the room at the parks for much of the day, you'll probably never even know the checks are happening. If you'd like to read about other guests' experiences with these checks, have a look at this thread.

Guest experiences with daily room checks

I just want to add that "people working at the resort can just access my room and enter unannounced" is true of every hotel. If someone else owns the place, then someone else has the keys and the right to access all parts of their property. Good hotels, of course, don't just allow every employee to access guest rooms and try to keep such visits to a minimum. But anywhere you stay, they have a right to enter your room when they feel they need to. The difference with Disney is that they've told guests they'll be doing this on an organized, regular basis.

The people doing the checks will knock and ask to enter, and if you're uncomfortable, you can certainly say no to that person. That may end up getting you even more attention from the staff, I can't say. But no one will force their way into your room. If you don't answer when they knock, and you don't have the security bar latched, then they may walk in. So if you don't want surprise visitors, keep that bar latched when you're in the room.

This is what I did when we stayed at AKL last Nov. I saw the room checker in the hall and I later saw the Housekeeping supervisor a few doors down. I asked her about room checks and she gave me his ( checker) name. I told her when we would be out and she noted it on her pad. Later saw the checker and also let him know...he noted it. Never were bothered the entire stay. Your best bet ( IMO) is contact the head housekeeper and let her/him know when it would be the best time for you...if possible, in person. I plan to do that in Apr. too.

This is what I did when we stayed at AKL last Nov. I saw the room checker in the hall and I later saw the Housekeeping supervisor a few doors down. I asked her about room checks and she gave me his ( checker) name. I told her when we would be out and she noted it on her pad. Later saw the checker and also let him know...he noted it. Never were bothered the entire stay. Your best bet ( IMO) is contact the head housekeeper and let her/him know when it would be the best time for you...if possible, in person. I plan to do that in Apr. too.
That sounds like a good idea thanks, were gettin older so this trip i think were planning on coming back to our room after doing the mornings in the parks and just resting a couple of hours then cleaning up and heading back out for a couple of hours in the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter