Napping and room checks

There’s no issues as long as you let mousekeeping clean your room daily. That counts toward the security check.

When we were there in July, we got up every morning and went to the parks. Our room was cleaned while we were out. We came back at lunchtime every day to nap or swim. We were never disturbed.

People are making more out of this than they need to. I was in a panic before our trip because of everybody overreacting. It’s seriously no big deal.

According to my experience this week, that is not the case and would explain why some have experienced them while also getting housekeeping.

Read below ....

Just finished stay January 27th - February 1st. Our first trip booked onsite since January of last year after a negative security check trip. I stayed offsite the next five trips. I booked this in the fall at AllStar Sports because I got it for $77 per night. I tried to find something comparable offsite but could not so stuck with it.

At check in we got an experienced full time CM. He gave me the offer for "Stay your way" and explained it in detail all that we would get and what we wouldn't get. I think it's great if they are explaining that in detail as it seems many are still missing that point that they will NOT get housekeeping for the duration, just supplies.

I told him "No I do not want to skip housekeeping. I did last year and had a very bad week with the security checks. I would like to keep it this trip so I don't have to worry about that."

His response "Disney's new policy of room security checks applies to all rooms whether you have housekeeping or not. Having housekeeping will not stop them from doing the checks."

Okay .... I told him I was very concerned about it, that I am traveling alone with my disabled son as he could see and this was me giving them another chance. He said that we "should use the Room Occupied sign and housekeeping will do their best to skip over us if they can."

We were in the room about 15 minutes and the phone rang. It was the same CM. He said he wanted to see what he could do to make sure we were not disturbed. I proceeded to give him a synopsis of what happened last year. He said “how about I call Housekeeping and request that your security checks be done after 10 am and prior to the dinner hours in case you have to return early." I said that would be great.

I made sure we got out by 10 am every morning and I never saw housekeeping or security check folks. Every day but one our room was fully cleaned, the one day it was like something happened as there were towels just laying on sink and trash had not been emptied but beds were made?? One day we had a note thanking us for returning with the sachet bag full of chocolates.

This time we were respected
but I thought it was interesting he was very clear
that housekeeping does not satisfy security checks.

As I wrote earlier, I was preoccupied with the security checks prior to our trip in July. I wasted a lot of time and negative energy worrying about it. Finally, I decided to stop stressing, and I bought a new bathrobe so that I would have something to put on if we were bothered while we were napping. I ended up not needing the robe. Perhaps we got lucky.

According to my experience this week, that is not the case and would explain why some have experienced them while also getting housekeeping.

Read below ....
Thank you for posting your recent experience. Your reports are definitely helping people prepare for their trips. I for one can respect your experience and concerns. This thread can probably benefit from more respect for people's concerns and experience and less snark.

~NM

Thank you for posting your recent experience. Your reports are definitely helping people prepare for their trips. I for one can respect your experience and concerns. This thread can probably benefit from more respect for people's concerns and experience and less snark.

~NM
It’s the same 5 people saying the same thing over and over again. You have to expect some snark , , .

Thank you for posting your recent experience. Your reports are definitely helping people prepare for their trips. I for one can respect your experience and concerns.

Ninja Mom- I agree! I look to the DIS for others' helpful reports of first hand experiences!! So important!! and the reason this website exists- to be helpful and have nice discussions!:thumbsup2 I've made some great friends here!:)

I do try to keep a thread open for questions on the room check policy. It’s difficult to do that when every single thread on the topic ends up in the same place - with the same handful of people repeating variations on “why I don’t like it,” over and over. The frustration is understandable. If you’ve already expressed your displeasure with the policy multiple times on multiple threads, rest assured that your point has been made, we’ve heard you, and maybe it’s time to take your concerns up with Disney instead of repeating them here.

That said, I’ll remind everyone that we do need to be respectful to one another. I’ll also remind everyone that respect is not the same thing as agreement. If you post something on a message board, the odds are that someone will disagree with you. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re being disrespectful.

Let’s try to focus this thread on answering questions about how the room check policy is being handled.

Are the times for the hotel room checks completely random or can guests request to not be disturbed before a certain time in the morning or for a nap? The whole reason we’d go back to the hotel mid-day would be to rest so having a room check if were napping defeats the purpose. Or maybe the checks happen so infrequently it’s not an issue? Wondering if there’s any way to ask Disney to avoid certain times. Thanks!
We tried requesting a block of time that they didnt come, but were told it's not possible and that it hardly ever happens - it's just random. Well in 6 days we were disturbed during our afternoon break twice - both times 2 of my kids got up and of course the youngest one never would go back to sleep. It was highly annoying/aggravating. I wish they'd just get over it; it's doing nothing to actually prevent crime; it's only "covering their ***** in case of a lawsuit.

So, if I'm understanding this, even if we have some long RD to close park days, followed by a rest day where we sleep in late, lounge or nap in the afternoon, security or HK just barges in? If we do not decline HK, can we not just put out the DND sign for as long as we want before we head out for a meal or something? If it makes a difference, we are staying at an AoA suite.
I won't say they just barge in...they knock... loudly a couple of times, but if theres no answer, yes they'll just come in. The newer signs mean nothing; they come when they want.

Our experience at SSR in October was not great. There were 7 of us in a 2-bedroom. Frequently a couple of people would want to go back and nap or shower, but couldn't latch the door to the whole unit as the rest of us needed to be able to come & go freely. We got interrupted in the afternoon 2 out of 4 days. They come in whenever they want, and, as far as we could tell, the "Room Occupied" sign just means they knock before they walk in on you sleeping or showering. So much for being able to rest and relax in your room. :-(

At CSR three weeks ago we were out early and back late every day except for the last one when we decided to sleep in and lay low since we had an early morning flight the next day. 8:02am there's a knock on the door and housekeeping is there to clean the room along with security to do their check. I wasn't amused. Just like I also filled out one of those in room surveys about how the resort is/how our stay was going and I noted that the towels were coming from housekeeping almost every day with small black marks/streaks on them. 24+ hours after I sent it, we get a call from a manager in housekeeping wanting to talk about it at 9:30pm when we had a 3am bus the next morning. Again, I was not amused.

Read below ....

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I keep hearing people say that housekeeping counts as your security check. I know that wasn’t the case last August for some people at Pop. But I thought I remember reading something had changed in the fall to indicate otherwise. I guess not.

Our experience at SSR in October was not great. There were 7 of us in a 2-bedroom. Frequently a couple of people would want to go back and nap or shower, but couldn't latch the door to the whole unit as the rest of us needed to be able to come & go freely. We got interrupted in the afternoon 2 out of 4 days. They come in whenever they want, and, as far as we could tell, the "Room Occupied" sign just means they knock before they walk in on you sleeping or showering. So much for being able to rest and relax in your room. :-(

The sign itself states that having it up doesn't stop them from entering your room.

As far as not latching the door for the others, could you not latch in and have them call if they needed in the unit? Not ideal, but I think better than worrying about housekeeping coming in.

As far as not latching the door for the others, could you not latch in and have them call if they needed in the unit? Not ideal, but I think better than worrying about housekeeping coming in.

That's possible, and may be the better of bad options, but say 1 person went back and decided to get a shower. They either need to leave the door unlatched and risk security coming in, or latch it and leave everyone stranded until they're out of the shower and presentable to open the door. Same if they're napping--they'd have to get woken up to let someone in.

You basically can just never count on being able to have an peaceful rest in your room again. :(

You basically can just never count on being able to have an peaceful rest in your room again. :(

That's not good!:(

We stay at the Hard Rock at Universal and now they also have a sign on the front desk that says that regardless of the DND sign, they can enter your room daily. We stay on the club floor so we get housekeeping and turndown service- so they are in our room twice daily. We are usually in the room until about noon daily and come back late afternoon to relax. We've never had "security" checks by any other staff members. I have no problem with allowing someone in our room daily-but don't want to be disturbed when I'm in the room. :thumbsup2

Thankfully I knew about this ahead of time from this site. We usually hit the park in the morning and don't return until evening. We opted for no housekeeping and got a $50 gift card in return. One afternoon we did return to POFQ and my son was doing homework and there was a knock on the door. I answered and jokingly said "seeing if we're alive" and the security person stepped in the door, flipped on the overhead light and said "safety check", and left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter