Napping and room checks

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
Are the times for the hotel room checks completely random or can guests request to not be disturbed before a certain time in the morning or for a nap? The whole reason we’d go back to the hotel mid-day would be to rest so having a room check if were napping defeats the purpose. Or maybe the checks happen so infrequently it’s not an issue? Wondering if there’s any way to ask Disney to avoid certain times. Thanks!

I've probably stayed 30 days since the implementation of the "checks" and only once have I been in the room during the security check. And then, he only walked into the kitchen and emptied the trash without looking in any of the other rooms. I will say we are normally out of the room during the morning hours so that may have something to do with it.

They will not typically agree to show up only at a time you request. Scheduling them sort of defeats the purpose of random room checks.

We spend a fair bit of time in our rooms on our trips. We've had at least 6 stays since the checks began and not once have we been bothered by one. Are you planning to decline housekeeping? I think we've never had a room check because we always get daily housekeeping. They don't do a 2nd check

We won’t decline housekeeping. We will be in a DVC room so we normally wouldn’t have it every day but I believe they are taking trash every day now. Hopefully they’ll do it more in the morning when we’re in the parks. Will be frustrated if we are woken from a nap but understand why they’re doing the checks.

The room checks have been enforced differently, sometimes depending on the resort, but mostly depending on the individual Cast Member performing them. You can go to the front desk, ask to speak with a manager about the room checks and see if they are able to help you with trying to coordinate them with your needs.

Some guests have had success doing this and others have not.

As with any concern I'd urge you to discuss it with the Cast Members working at that location. Sometimes they can help you. Other times it is not within their power.

If you encounter an especially helpful Cast Member anywhere on property, try to make a note of their name, the town on their name tag and the date, time and location along with a brief description of how they assisted you. Then fire off an email to guest services. wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

The same goes for communicating with Guest Services about a problem you are having, either with the staff or your stay. If you are still on property definitely speak in person with the staff. Follow up with email once you are home.

Doing so is a way to let Disney know what they are doing that is great or not so great. Often times these emails are shared with the CM so you have the chance to say thank you in a personal way that is greatly appreciated. If there are problems with a Cast Member your feed back is a chance for their supervisors to assist them with further training. It's definitely worth your time to provide that feedback.

To illustrate that point I'll tell you about an experience that I had when providing feedback about a Cast Member. One year I was at a meeting and a CM went out of her way to go above and beyond to provide assistance that I and other people at this meeting needed. I took the time to write to Guest Services about this CM. A year goes by and I am at the same meeting. The CM that I wrote the email about was working this event again and she recognized me! She had the chance to tell me about how happy she was to have gotten that compliment and how my email was read in front of the whole team at a meeting that her supervisors were holding. She said it made her feel really proud that a guest had taken the time to give her a compliment and that it was especially appreciated that her supervisors got to see what a great job she was doing.

So taking the time to provide feedback is a win win.

Have a great trip and good luck with the room checks. Be sure to keep all of the door locks engaged and use the "Room Occupied" door hanger when you are in the room. This will prevent staff from walking all the way into your room but some of them will still open the door as far as it will go without much advance warning. Also remember that using the phone in your room sends that call to a call center off property. Any concerns that you have will be put at the end of a long list of concerns compiled by these off site operators. Go to the front desk to speak with CM's about problems at your resort. They are in the best position to help you promptly if they can.

You probably know all that but I thought I would mention it for the folks that haven't heard that information yet.

~NM

It seems to me that since housekeeping counts for the security check, HK will not get around to all the rooms in the am, so give or take half of the rooms will be serviced on the afternoon, and you probably have a similar 50% chance of getting a knock on the door when taking an afternoon nap. I would talk in person to both a resort manager and a HK manager and take note of their names. Whether you have to do that daily depends on whether your schedule varies. Good luck!

After experiences from a couple of different resorts and reading all of the reports, that I can find, posted here, I can tell you it seems to be totally arbitrary.

Basically, if you have housekeeping, your check depends on where you are on the housekeepers list. We spent 10 days being first on the list. So, we ended up being woken up in the morning a few days.

Others have had the same problem, but they are in the middle of the list, so their nap time is disturbed.

Sometimes you can move your name on the list. Sometimes you can't. And if housekeeping misses your room, or when they knock, you decline entry, security will beat feet to your door.

We will be back in September. Hopefully we won't be first on the list, again.

From our experience they empty the kitchen trash and leave. They have never gone in every room (unless it is our “Trash and Towel” day).

In February while at BLT we were visited 3 times in one day and I did complain about that because it’s excessive and annoying. I’m not thrilled it’s taking place at all, but it is what it is. I’m not unreasonable, but once a day is enough.

We were at POFQ last week. This was the first time we were actually in our room when "security checks" came around. My wife and I were at the pool and my two 14-year-old daughters were in the room. It was about 3pm. The cast member asked my kids what time would be a good time to return to check the room. They couldn't give him a time because our plans were fluid that day. The cast member said he would return after 5pm.

In some ways I feel sorry for the checkers. What happened to us I must say was my 17 year old daughters fault. She went back to our room at AKL to nap and did not latch the door. Well this girl could sleep thru an a tornado. She awoke to find a checker in her room. I did get an apology from the hotel for walking in on a sleeping girl but they did informed me that she cussed them out. Don't know where the daughter of a Marine learned that kind of language.

In some ways I feel sorry for the checkers. What happened to us I must say was my 17 year old daughters fault. She went back to our room at AKL to nap and did not latch the door. Well this girl could sleep thru an a tornado. She awoke to find a checker in her room. I did get an apology from the hotel for walking in on a sleeping girl but they did informed me that she cussed them out. Don't know where the daughter of a Marine learned that kind of language.
Good for your daughter!!! The room checks are the worst security theater policy Disney has come up with. With reports of being able to tell them to come back later, phone calls from house keeping to schedule a time to do the check, what is it doing? Nothing except disturbing guests. They’re just glancing, what does that do? Nothing, but disturb the guest. I always had confidence in Disney security. Knew a lot is behind the scenes. This new policy has me wondering how good the overall security actually is.

Good for your daughter!!! The room checks are the worst security theater policy Disney has come up with. With reports of being able to tell them to come back later, phone calls from house keeping to schedule a time to do the check, what is it doing? Nothing except disturbing guests. They’re just glancing, what does that do? Nothing, but disturb the guest. I always had confidence in Disney security. Knew a lot is behind the scenes. This new policy has me wondering how good the overall security actually is.
Well I did talk to her about the language. The person that walked in apologized to me and I asked what she said. He said she used language that he saw in a movie about boot camps. That is my fault years ago I could make pfc's cry.

Well I did talk to her about the language. The person that walked in apologized to me and I asked what she said. He said she used language that he saw in a movie about boot camps. That is my fault years ago I could make pfc's cry.
I remember reading your original post on this. As I recall she woke up to him staring at her. Why didn’t he leave the minute he saw a sleeping guest? I’m glad she yelled at him! Maybe he’ll think twice before staring at a sleeping guest. Hopefully Disney rethinks this policy.

Your story reminded me of a humorous situation we had on the Disney Magic (ship) when our youngest was 13. We were in a 1 bedroom suite. Well, our 13 yro son had been out quite late with friends the night before our Key West port day. We roused both boys early & headed out to breakfast. When we walked out our room host was there and asked us our plans for the day (usually they ask to be polite & to time when they come in to service the room). So we told him we were heading off the ship early to wander about and wouldn’t be back until after lunch. So at breakfast the teenager who hadn’t slept much was guzzling coffee but still seemed super drowsy & grumpy. We offered to let him off the hook & just stay on the ship if he’d rather sleep. Oh yes, he was thrilled at this proposition! So we walked with him back to the room. When we got back our room had been straightened, beds made. So I had our son climb into our big bed because the sofa & Murphy beds were both already put away. Later that afternoon when we returned we spotted our room host in the hall and, boy-howdy, did he have a funny tale to tell! Apparently, he had also needed to know what we had planned for the day because he was our section lead & needed to instruct the carpet crew when was okay to come in to steam the carpets. We were going to be out all day so it was a good time for that. He assured the carpet crew nobody was in the room & to go on in. Well, our son can also sleep through a tornado! LOL! They steamed the entire living/dining area. When they worked their way into the bedroom my son rolled over......and our host said he saw every one of the guys come running out of the room as if they’d seen a ghost! LOL! Sleeping Beauty scared the bejeezus outta them! LOL!

He's lucky it wasn't me. I would have thrown something at him, screamed and caused quite a scene. I would for anyone walking into my room while I was asleep.

(Yes, we keep the bar across the door. Yes, sometimes my husband leaves for a walk, soda or tea while I am napping. So sometimes, for a short period of time, I am alone, alseep in the room, without the bar on.)

He's lucky it wasn't me. I would have thrown something at him, screamed and caused quite a scene. I would for anyone walking into my room while I was asleep.

(Yes, we keep the bar across the door. Yes, sometimes my husband leaves for a walk, soda or tea while I am napping. So sometimes, for a short period of time, I am alone, alseep in the room, without the bar on.)

It’s actually a natural reaction when you are surprised/awakened and find a complete stranger (male) in the room.
It’s one thing if it’s a housekeeper, a whole other thing if it’s one of these male security guys or whoever they are. It’s startling even if you are just relaxing in your room, I have posted my experience of being surprised in this way, even wide awake it’s startling when you don’t expect someone to enter. As you said if the security latch is off while someone in your party is out, don’t dare nod off or take a shower.

Last edited:
So, if I'm understanding this, even if we have some long RD to close park days, followed by a rest day where we sleep in late, lounge or nap in the afternoon, security or HK just barges in? If we do not decline HK, can we not just put out the DND sign for as long as we want before we head out for a meal or something? If it makes a difference, we are staying at an AoA suite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter