Napa Rose Chef's Counter Wine Pairings

Giselle22

Mouseketeer
Hello all! My family and I are headed to Disneyland just before Christmas and will be dining at Napa Rose--my dad loves the place, and I've decided to surprise everyone with a meal at the chef's counter :) I've never done it before and I'm super excited!
I have a question about the wine pairings. How much wine does it work out to be? Most reviews I've read said they are "very generous" pours. I'd really like to try it but I don't drink a lot lol and I still want to be enjoying my meal! So, how many glasses of wine does it end up being? And would they let you split it with someone else? I know that might be tricky since it's supposed to go with your individual meal, but :confused3
Thanks!

You get a new glass of wine with every course, IIRC. Yes, they are good pours. But don't feel you have to actually drink all of it.

They bring out a new glass of wine with each course. The entire meal is something like 6 courses. We went a couple of years ago so policy might have changed, but no one seemed to notice or care that we shared (we purchased only one pairing). Maybe that would be different if we were gulping it down and asking for refills, but we weren't able to finish each glass before the next one came out even with the two of us. If you're going to share your wine, share a bite of your food to go along with it, because the pairing really was well done. I'm one of those people who never quite understood why pairing matters until we had this meal.

If you're going to share your wine, share a bite of your food to go along with it,
Excellent suggestion. Our usual approach is to request that each of us get a different item for each course. That way we can each taste more things.

They bring out a new glass of wine with each course. The entire meal is something like 6 courses. We went a couple of years ago so policy might have changed, but no one seemed to notice or care that we shared (we purchased only one pairing). Maybe that would be different if we were gulping it down and asking for refills, but we weren't able to finish each glass before the next one came out even with the two of us. If you're going to share your wine, share a bite of your food to go along with it, because the pairing really was well done. I'm one of those people who never quite understood why pairing matters until we had this meal.
Wow, is that six glasses of wine? Or are they more like half glasses? (Still a lot of wine!)

I don’t think I’ve actually done this at Napa Rose, but at wine-heavy fine dining, I often request half pours (even if I’m still paying the full amount - depends on the place whether they’ll adjust the price).

For me, it’s enforced portion control so I don’t find myself feeling overly tipsy or uncomfortable by the end of the meal... because if it’s there, I’ll drink it. :drinking1

Good idea to share food along with wine! I have heard really good things about the quality of the wine pairings, which is why I want to try it.

I don’t think I’ve actually done this at Napa Rose, but at wine-heavy fine dining, I often request half pours (even if I’m still paying the full amount - depends on the place whether they’ll adjust the price).

For me, it’s enforced portion control so I don’t find myself feeling overly tipsy or uncomfortable by the end of the meal... because if it’s there, I’ll drink it. :drinking1
Good idea. I was thinking of doing that--just asking for smaller pours. I'm already splurging so much on this lol, I don't mind paying full for the wine pairings even if I'm only getting a half pour.

Wow, is that six glasses of wine? Or are they more like half glasses? (Still a lot of wine!)
To be honest, I don't usually drink wine so I'm not sure how they compare to typical servings. I can tell you that it was more than enough for two people though.

We went in September and I did the wine pairing - definitely more than half glasses. I would say the wine offerings equate to the size of the dishes. Each course is plentiful but not full blown entree size and the wine is a generous pour but not overly full size glasses. I am not a fan of sweet wines and didn't care for the dessert wine and our server offered to replace it with one of the wines I liked earlier; they really make sure you enjoy your experience. It was a really lovely evening and the wines (and food) were stellar. From someone who rarely has more than one glass it was a lot - and, shhhhhhh, Space Mountain tipsy is a lot of fun ;)

Last edited:
We went in September and I did the wine pairing - definitely more than half glasses. I would say the wine offerings equate to the size of the dishes. Each course is plentiful but not full blown entree size and the wine is a generous pour but not overly full size glasses. I am not a fan of sweet wines and didn't enjoy the dessert wine and our server offered to replace it with one of the wines I enjoyed earlier; they really make sure you enjoy your experience. It was a lovely evening and the wines were stellar. From someone who rarely has more than one glass it was a lot - and, shhhhhhh, Space Mountain tipsy is a lot of fun ;)

Ahhhhh this sounds so awesome! I know what I want to do sometime in the somewhat near future! (I’m currently eight months pregnant and missing wine!) Hmmmm maybe a Valentine’s Day request!

Ahhhhh this sounds so awesome! I know what I want to do sometime in the somewhat near future! (I’m currently eight months pregnant and missing wine!) Hmmmm maybe a Valentine’s Day request!

Enjoy when you finally make it there and congrats on your new wee one! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!