Nap time and schedule questions . . .

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
Our son will be two years old for our October WDW trip. He is usually a very early riser (6:00-7:00 am) so we are planning on getting to the parks at the unofficial opening times, touring for awhile, having lunch at 11:00 and then heading back to the resort for his nap. He usually sleeps for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. So we are planning on getting back to the park somewhere between 3:00 and 4:00 pm for quick touring and an early (5:30) dinner so that we can get him back to the resort and settled for his usual 8:00 bedtime. (I'm hoping the in room bedtime stories will help get him settled).

This will be our first WDW trip with a toddler. Our son was 5 months old on our last trip and very easy since he just slept in the stroller whenever he got tired.

I'm wondering how realistic our plan is?? I know that kids can get really stimulated at WDW so we want to try to keep him on his usual sleep and meal schedule as much as possible. We are going during a slower time so we won't feel like we have to race around in order to see everything. We have also built enough time into our trip so we have one day between each park day with nothing scheduled except hanging out at a water park, the resort pool, or Downtown Disney.

I have always felt so bad when I see parents screaming at their over stimulated, exhausted, cranky kids when the vacation is supposed to be a fun family time.

I am a major planner so I want to have a basic schedule in place, but we know that in the end we will probably have to adjust some things based on how our son is doing.

For those of you who have had successful WDW vacations with a toddler, is there anything else that we can plan or do up front to help our son enjoy things?

When I went with my 3yo DS we did pretty much the same thing. It worked out well. Some days he had a longer nap and then we were able to stay out a little later. He does best when on his schedule, so we stuck to it fairly well. Plan to do the same this trip with 2 yr old DS. 6yr old may get to stay in the park with dad or nana and poppa though.

We've been numerous times with two small kids. Neither would nap back at the hotel despite how tired they were. We now have learned to just go with the flow. Usually mid day our youngest would fall asleep in her stroller and we would just take turns riding rides she wouldn't be interested in at that time. Works out well. Also, there are some attractions that are sure fire ways to get your child to sleep! ;) EVERY trip both of mine fall asleep at American Adventure.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Myself and DH took turns with our youngest DS for napping breaks. He was so pleasant after a rest we continued to do this every year from his first visit at age 2. DS will be 5 this trip and we plan to take nap breaks even though he normally doen't nap at home. I find I need to take a break myself sometimes. We have other children (2 teen 1 preteen) They usually stay at a park, swim, or go to Disney Quest with DH when nap time comes. When they swim at the resort I usually do laundry on that day and swim with them while DH rest with youngest DS.

Everyone is much more pleasant when we take an afternoon break.
Who wants to listen to a whinny child when all it takes is a hour or two rest period.

I find taking a snack and drink for each of us help past the time in waiting lines or when someone is hungry. Also, if a fast food resturant has a new disney toy I will go through and get a happy meal (for myself) and hide the toy for our trip. I pull a new toy out when he needs to be entertained and if he looses it then not alot of money lost.

Have a wonderful trip!!!!

My 2 1/2 DD slept in the stroller most days after lunch. We would use the time to stake out a place for the afternoon parade and take turns riding the big rides- Space Mountain, etc. We would find a nice, shady spot about 1 hr before parade time- maybe a little sooner depending on DD's mood- and she would lay down in the stroller. She was always asleep in 5 min. She usually woke up in a great mood for the parade. A couple of days she didn't have a nap at all and fell asleep early in the evening- again in the stroller. She missed the fireworks some nights. Of course this meant carrying a sleeping toddler on the buses and to the room. It just depends on your child's personality. We have always been on the go people and DD was used to it. However, on our next trip my DS will be 2 1/2 and DD 4 1/2. My DS does not have the same personality as DD so it should be interesting.
Good luck and have a great trip!

We now have learned to just go with the flow. Usually mid day our youngest would fall asleep in her stroller and we would just take turns riding rides she wouldn't be interested in at that time. Works out well. Also, there are some attractions that are sure fire ways to get your child to sleep! EVERY trip both of mine fall asleep at American Adventure.

I would agree with this. Given that you'll be going in October when the weather is cooler and the park hours shorter. I can also remember when my kids were little and we needed a break ... we'd go to Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, etc and they would fall asleep.

Others on these boards have mentioned finding quiet places to spread a sheet on the ground for a little "down" time. This was you don't spend so much time traveling to and from your resort when the park hours are so short.

You may find that you feel you've seen most of what you wanted by late afternoon anyway and can just leave for the day (especially if you got there for EE).

Even now that my kids are teens (17 & 18) we alternate a park day with a pool day. This really makes for a relaxing vacation for all of us!

Disneyvoice,
We too had the same plan. Never worked. We can't break the habit of spending the entire day in a park. Our 1 year old is very adapt at sleeping in the stroller from home. Next visit he'll be two and I doubt he'll sleep in the park rental stroller.
We did schedule a lot more down time in the park. This was great, as it forced us to slow down and see things we would have missed like Belle's story time at MK, the small animal exhibits in AK(Discovery Island), the characters coming and going on the New York backlot (MGM) and the fantastic gardens throughout World Showcase.
A lot of your sucess depends on where you are staying. Monorail resorts make it a little easier to do your schedule for MK, and maybe Epcot.

disneyvoice,
We plan the same plan you have stated, but we never end up making back to the parks after the nap. We end up renting watermice or going over to Ft. Wilderness' petting zoo or have pool time or something. I think we have only made it back to the parks twice.
I guess we just end up taking it really really slow....oh well we have fun. So just go with the flow you will find what works best for you and your family. :D

It will still be pretty hot, so going back to the pool is a good enticement, and after that exertion, they are almost guaranteed to be ready to nap.

Here's a trick to get a kid into bed for a nap: turn up the A/C when you leave for the pool. When you get back, the room will be chilly. Just take the time to put dry undies on him and let him crawl under the covers to get warm. It's a little underhanded, but it works nearly every time.

We planned on taking our 2-year-old DD back to the resort for afternoon naps as well, but it didn't work out. She would nod off periodically in her stroller during the day waiting for shows, parades, etc but once we got back to the room she was totally wired and would not settle down. So we blew off that plan and started spending the whole day at the parks (which I prefer to do, anyway), letting her nap as she wished. We'd take turns sitting with her while everyone else went on the rides she was too small to go on anyway. It worked great. I think the best thing to do is exactly what your doing...have a plan but be prepared to change it. I'm a compulsive planner and control freak. I HAVE to have a plan, even though I know that with an unpredictable toddler in tow, chances are we will do things somewhat differently once we get down there.

Kim

what great parents to put your child's needs first. Even if this plan does not work as you might expect, the fact that you realize that you need to work around your child will make for a great vacation. I noticed your mention of unoffical opening times. Do you mean EE or magic mornings or are you counting on parks opening earlier than the posted time as they often used to do. On our trip last year, parks opened right on time and not any early. EE was not in place on this trip but I have been reading that the parks are still opening at the stated time. Would hate for you to get there a hour early for nothing.Enjoy the magic with your little one!!!!

Jordan's mom

Disneyvoice-

Our plan sounds just like yours! I will try to keep my DDs as close to their schedule as possible, but I won't worry if it does not work out like planned. This trip is for them; I only financed it:teeth: .

OK...it's for me too! :rolleyes: :o I love WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter