My Sept 2020 Hurricane Irma Reunion Disney Blowout Trip!

useakiss

Am I there yet?
Well, I think this is probably as good a time as any to start a new trip report! Yes, it’s still over 13 months out, but it IS officially booked!

Here’s how it happened…

After returning from my enjoyable week-long WDW trip with my Mom back in November of 2018 (see Just Mom and Me -- Our late November 2018 trip), things were a bit hectic and stressful for me at home. Within the month, my oldest cat, Hailey (only 9 years), began suffering from severe dental issues that didn’t respond to surgery and treatment and resulted in my being forced to make a heartbreaking decision. I also went through a very stressful and infuriating incident with the cat rescue with which I volunteer, which really upset me because I love working for them (fortunately it’s mostly resolved as of this week, but for months it haunted me). I also took on the adoption of a very young kitten—the youngest I’ve ever had at 11 weeks—which is both expensive and a dose of nuttiness (kittens be crazy!), but I love her. Finally, work continues to be crazy at times and I’ve worked several all-nighters, plus there was a sudden announcement of an organizational shift and change of roles, which is the ultimate stress-inducing event because you don’t even know if you’ll still have a job, or one that you like, when it’s all over. That’s still playing out and still somewhat uncertain, but I think that, at the very least, my job is secure.

Anyway, it’s been a mess. It’s part of why it took me so long to finish my blog report of that trip—I was struggling to find the frame of mind needed to summon up those memories and document them.

The accumulated vet bills I’d faced in the past 6 months (3 cat dental surgeries, 1 spaying surgery, multiple health checkups and rounds of shots, etc.) really set me back financially, wiping out my standing vacation savings, squashing my plans to travel home to Wisconsin in May. I do still plan a trip home in September for a cousin’s wedding and to see family, but that will be it for this year. However, since my 2017 trip, I’ve been loosely planning for a trip in 2020, possibly in the spring but probably in September again. It was a “Gee, I’d like to go back” sort of thing but nothing solid because my life is so unpredictable.

That’s when a bit of Disney Magic happened!

If you read my trip report from 2017 (see My 50th Birthday Solo Trip Blow-Out), I wrote about the friends I made in those last days as Hurricane Irma ripped through the end of my vacation, canceling my flight home, and extending my stay for an additional 3 days. Jane and Graeme Pierce were lodged in the room next to mine, but by sheer coincidence we’d actually struck up a conversation on the bus prior to learning we were neighbors. Call it Kismet. We spent much of the remaining time I was there together, talking and laughing and just enjoying the unique experience of being trapped in Disney World. We friended one another on FaceBook on my last morning before flying home, and we sort of half-jokingly said that maybe we should try to plan our next Disney World trip to coincide, so we could meet up again.

As time went on, we started toying with the idea more seriously, but for me it was still very up in the air because of my current situation and how difficult it was to plan or budget right now with everything sort of crashing around me.

Jump to a couple weeks ago. Out of the blue, Jane and Graeme messaged me and ask if I’d be interested in sharing a room with them in September of 2020! Disney begins offering truly stunning “free dining” package deals to UK residents far in advance of what I can book, and they were actively considering booking the 14-day/13-night package deal. The package includes a two-bed deluxe resort, standard dining plan, Magical Express, MemoryMaker (photos), park passes, park hopper pass, water parks and mini golf, etc. It’s an astounding deal, and when split three ways, my share would be the same as what it cost me just for the moderate room and park passes—minus perks and meals—during my 9-day solo trip in 2017! Let’s just say that I did not hesitate! I’m jumped right on that like the banshee ride in Flight of Passage!

We had a choice of luxury resorts, and initially were excited at the opportunity to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (on all our Bucket Lists), but agreed that even split three ways, it was too expensive to stay in a Savanna room for two weeks unless we added a fourth person and got a room with bunk-beds, but those rooms are too small for four adults for 14 days--we'd probably be at each others' throats by the end (I have two friends who expressed interest and had to turn them down because I value their friendships more). This meant we were limited to a Standard room, so we booked that and paid the deposit.

But within the day, however, I started having second thoughts about that decision. I recalled a blog I’d read about pros and cons about different resorts, and one idea kept pinging my brain—that we’d regret staying at AKL if we stayed in the Standard room. The reason being that you’re paying a lot more than a moderate room, but still limited to the same views as non-staying visitors, so there was no advantage to the price difference other than proximity to their restaurants. Factor in the distance from everything else Disney (even Animal Kingdom still requires a bus ride), and it was losing its luster. Meanwhile, that blog had mentioned the Beach Club/Yacht Club resort as being a better deal if you can’t get a Savanna room. For example, Beach Club is literally within walking distance to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios, not to mention the Monorail, the boats, and the new gondola service. That sort of positioning is priceless when you’re exhausted, plus it makes that mythical “break in the middle of the day” attainable, whereas that long bus ride to/from Animal Kingdom Lodge would get very old quickly. And with the International Food & Wine Festival going on while we’re there, this is a major advantage. Add to that the fact that the Standard room at Beach Club is actually BIGGER than the Standard at AKL, and it seemed a no-brainer to me.

I was doing laundry while all these thoughts were circling around in my head. Finally, I messaged my friends back and tentatively proposed the idea that maybe we should reconsider our resort choice. I asked if maybe we could split our stay—do a few nights from AKL and then switch to Beach Club for the rest of our vacation. I was very worried that they’d start seeing me as a trouble maker, trying to throw a wrench in the works by already causing problems, so I was very relieved when they were open and enthusiastic to the idea (not just about the better location, but because it meant we could check TWO resorts off our list). Graeme reached out to customer support with our questions and was informed that this package did not allow us to split our stay without a severe penalty (they would consider it a second booking and thus charge us for the second week of park passes, etc.), which defeated the entire purpose of the package deal. This meant we were locked into whichever resort we chose. However, it wasn’t too late to change our choice. We didn’t hesitate long in making the decision—we switched it to Beach Club!

So it’s now official. The dates are set for September 8th through September 22 of 2020! It’s about a week later than my last trip, so hopefully the crowds will be even lighter, although I have little hope of the weather being cooler. The odds of another hurricane hitting us again are slim (although we’re buying travel insurance all the same!).

Finally, I already have approval for vacation time at work. I have a different supervisor now, who is much friendlier about getting approvals. He did tell me that those above him are pushing a policy of not allowing PTO requests more than 3 months in advance, which is insane. I explained my situation here (the UK advance package deal), and that I had to pay my deposit now if I was going to do it, and that my friends were counting on me, etc. I told him that I was doing him the courtesy of giving him over a years’ notice of my absence, but if he would prefer I not tell him until three months before I go, I could do that, too, but I’m still going. He agreed and thanked me. Then he officially approved it. Sometimes you just need to stand up for yourself!

So now comes the waiting. And planning. But mostly the waiting…!

Last edited:
Why did we choose to go in September of 2020 rather than the Spring or even wait for 2021 and the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World? Apart from simply needing more time to continue saving money, there will already be tons of new things to see and do, and we’re hoping to avoid the additional craziness and crowds anticipated for that important anniversary. Although we’re still anticipating it to be a whole new level of packed compared to our previous experiences, we hope that by the Fall the parks will have returned to the normal post-Labor Day back-to-school situation of smaller crowd sizes.

What will be new to us in the Fall of 2020? There’s LOTS to look forward to:
  • The International Food & Wine Festival—not new to us, but it begins the last weekend of August and it's a major factor in our choice of timing
  • Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (Hollywood Studios)—the new land and all its attractions
  • Docking Bay 7, a new signature dining restaurant within SW:GE
  • Olga’s Cantina, a new adult lounge within SW:GE
  • Toy Story Land (Hollywood Studios) will have been open and running for two years by then
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (also Hollywood Studios) is slated to open in the Spring of 2020
  • Wonderful World of Animation—a new nighttime light show (again in Hollywood Studios)
  • Immersive Star Wars themed resort should hopefully be open and ready for exploring
  • A new as-yet-to-be-named a new nighttime spectacular at EPCOT
  • Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure in the France pavilion at EPCOT
  • Beauty and the Beast sing-along in the France pavilion at EPCOT
  • An update to the O Canada! 360-degree show
  • Space 220, the new space-themed immersive restaurant in Future World at EPCOT
  • Beauty and the Beast revamp of Mitzner’s Lounge at the Grand Floridian
  • Story Book Dining at Artist Point, a new character meal that features the evil queen from Snow White (villains rarely appearances in the park, on my Bucket List!) along with a couple of dwarfs
  • Disney Skyliner gondola transportation (probably more of a once-and-done ride since it’s connecting several of the economy resorts with EPCOT)
  • Disney’s BoardWalk—while not technically new, none of us have ever explored this portion of WDW
  • Beach Club resort—again not technically new, but will be new to us, including what’s arguably the best themed pool on property (it even has a lazy river!)
Basically, Hollywood Studios will have finally graduated into a full-day park, and EPCOT is getting a long-overdue injection of new content. We’ll miss the 2021 premieres of the Guardian of the Galaxy and Tron attractions, but those are just reasons to consider another return in 2022…

Other things I’m looking forward to doing on this trip that I didn’t have the money or time for in the past, but now are possible due to the significant cost savings and luxury of time:
  • Keys to the Kingdom Tour—a 5-hour exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the Magic Kingdom, lunch included
  • Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party—an exclusive evening park-wide party at Magic Kingdom that includes a fireworks show, trick-or-treating and other event treats, special photopass magic shots, several villains available for meet & greet, and shorter lines for the attractions kept open during the party. My friends did this back in 2017 and had a great time, so they want to go again and I’m tagging along. (No, I don’t plan to get dressed up because it’s just more things to pack, all for one night)
  • Spirit of Aloha dinner show at ‘Ohanas at the Polynesian resort—(outside of Dining Plan) this is something that’s been on my Bucket List since I was a kid, and my friends are keen to try it a second time
  • Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian—(outside of Dining Plan) I did this with Mom in 2018 and we had a lovely time, and I’m looking forward to doing it again with my British friends
So yes, in addition to the usual things I consider essential to a Disney trip, I’ll have a lot of things to fill up those two weeks. The challenge will be having a reasonable and realistic plan for each day so that I don’t harm myself, particularly early on. I’ve learned my lessons from my 2017 and 2018 trips—that feeling sick due to dehydration and agonizing pain in my feet have a real impact on my enjoyment as the vacation goes along; and that sacrificing certain things in exchange for shorter days and pacing myself pays off in the end. I’m going to be in Florida for a long 14 days through part of the hottest and most humid times of the year—breaking myself in the first week would be disastrous. Unlike in 2017, when it had been over 30 years since my last visit, this time I’ve got two recent visits under my belt and so I’m not feeling so driven to “do everything!” I also have a very good idea of what I’m okay with skipping, and I’ve also learned from my costly mistakes of transportation confusion and unnecessary walking paths.

I’m already starting to play with a simple schedule to map out park days and major events (yes, I know, it’s crazy early). Having two full weeks means that I could reasonably spend three days in each of the four parks. Most of those won’t be full days, or will involve inserting a mid-day break back at the resort. This means I’ll still have plenty of time to explore other resorts, relax with a cold drink in the various lounges on my list, go on tours, indulge at signature restaurants, and do a little shopping at Disney Springs. All the same, I’m determined to avoid making this into a Death March like in 2017. This is an ultimate vacation and I want to keep it that way.

Last edited:

I don’t know about you, but I keep checklists for any vacation that takes me far from home for longer than a day or two. And in the case of complex ones like trips to Disney World, I keep several: Pre-trip Milestone Tasks, Carry-on Bag, Documents, Clothing, Misc., Electronics, Toiletries, and Day Bag. It might seem excessive, but I’ve found that this system really cuts down on mistakes that cost money and time (the last thing I want is to be forced to leave Disney property for an unplanned shopping trip). After each trip, I leverage these lists for the future and update them whenever I think of something new and removing things I ended up not needing. I find that this can also help with avoiding overpacking.

One glaring incident that comes to mind, when I forgot a vital item, was years ago when I took my young niece on a 3-hour daytrip to a huge waterpark in the Wisconsin Dells. We got all the way to the parking lot of the park before I discovered I’d forgotten my swimsuit!

A perfect example of a new item for my 2020 trip is a mandatory second Federal ID for flying (I’ll be using my Passport Card). That’s something I don’t normally carry in my wallet and might easily forget in the final rush out the door but would absolutely prevent my trip from even starting. I won’t check that off on my list until I physically add it to my wallet, just to be safe.

Here’s a list of items I’m packing for the first time:
  • Passport Cart
  • Reusable straws
  • Extra luggage locks (TSA consistently cuts mine off, despite them being TSA-approved)
  • Gel heel inserts
  • Collapsible laundry hamper
  • Travel bottle of dish soap (for refillable mug and reusable straws)
  • Quick-dry camping towel
  • Cooling towel
Here’s a list of things I’ve packed in the past that are a little unorthodox but were extremely useful:
  • Ziplock bags of several sizes (great for protecting electronics from water, sealing up snacks, collecting receipts)
  • Anti-bacterial wipes (to wipe down everything on airplane and in room)
  • Carabiner clip (to keep bag off the floor if no hook is available)
  • Laundry kit (detergent pods in small ziplock, then place that and dryer sheets in second ziplock)
  • Healthcare kit (Band-Aids, moleskin, anti-blister cream, alcohol swabs, scissors, needle, matches, nail clippers)
  • Tennis ball (rolling under the foot to hit pressure points)
  • Travel cubes (used these for the first time on WDW trip in November and they really do help to keep things organized, particularly if bags are searched, and save space in your luggage)
  • Electric handheld fan (USB rechargeable, puts out strong wind)
  • Neck strap for sunglasses (needed when in the pools and waterparks)
  • Lens wipes in individual packets (cleaning water spots off my glasses from rain or pools)
  • Several pairs of walking shoes (to alternate each day and in case they get soaked)
  • Wide-brimmed straw hat (to keep my head from baking and scalp from burning)
  • Little hand sanitizer bottles in a strap/sling (Bath & Body Works sells perfect ones that attach to strap of bag for easy access)
  • Paper printouts of travel plans, airline tickets, important contact information, etc. (Yes, it’s old school, but what happens if you lose your phone or the power goes out? How many phone numbers do you know by heart? While in the middle of my last trip, my Mom’s phone stopped working, which drove the point home.)
  • Prescriptions in their original containers (for TSA purposes) and for more than my planned vacation (I learned this the hard way when my 9-day Disney trip turned into 12 days because of the hurricane, and I ran out of my high blood pressure meds, with no reasonable way to refill them due to the storm)
What things do you pack that might seem out of the ordinary but proved invaluable? What did you pack that you regretted? What did you forget to pack and how did it impact your vacation?

Joining in!

I’ll be at Disney same time as you guys! :yay:

I am currently booked at AKL in a standard room, however after reading your opening post I’m now off to look at a possible move to Beach Club.

Looking forward to hearing more of your plans.
Tanz x

Joining in!

I’ll be at Disney same time as you guys! :yay:

I am currently booked at AKL in a standard room, however after reading your opening post I’m now off to look at a possible move to Beach Club.

Looking forward to hearing more of your plans.
Tanz x
Small world! The friends I'm going with are from Manchester as well, and big footballers. I'm sensing a lounge hookup!

Small world! The friends I'm going with are from Manchester as well, and big footballers. I'm sensing a lounge hookup!

Wow, definitely a small world! As long as they support Manchester United a lounge hookup sounds imminent!

Whoa, just learned four awesome tips for my upcoming trip!
  • Cut up kitchen sponge into quarters, then soak in dish washing detergent and let dry, the place in zip lock bag (great for washing mugs, reusable straws, etc.)
  • Place a Disney-themed air freshener for the room (or something else positive), then happy associations with that scent
  • To avoid the bag inspection line, fold up a string-type backpack bag and stick it in your back pocket, then just carry in your hands or other pockets your credit cards and ID, umbrella, bottle of water, etc. Once through, then you can take out the bag and throw all that stuff in there. (I probably won't do this every day, but it's brilliant for light days.)
  • Pack a waterproof bag for wet swimsuit if not dry when packing to return home.

Last edited:
I keep checklists too. One for my suitcase, one for my purse, one for my carryon and a to do list for before I leave home. My master lists disappeared before my last trip and i had to recreate them all from memory :(

I keep checklists too. One for my suitcase, one for my purse, one for my carryon and a to do list for before I leave home. My master lists disappeared before my last trip and i had to recreate them all from memory :(
Ugh, that would cause me anxiety! Hope you managed to get everything and not forget anything too important.

It was an excercise to remind me that I need to relax. Anything I i need can be bought in Florida,and anything I forget to do at home can be handled by friends and family. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

I've read all 3 of your trip reports, great writing! Just curious, and I know this is a very personal question, but you've mentioned you eat small portions....have you had weight loss surgery? I had the sleeve almost 3 years ago, and I haven't been to Disney since, we are going for my 50th in 2021, for WDW 50th also!

I've read all 3 of your trip reports, great writing! Just curious, and I know this is a very personal question, but you've mentioned you eat small portions....have you had weight loss surgery? I had the sleeve almost 3 years ago, and I haven't been to Disney since, we are going for my 50th in 2021, for WDW 50th also!
Thanks for the kinds words. And yes, I did have the reduction/sleeve surgery back around 2009. Even 10 years later it impacts how I eat, and particularly what I order when I go out. It's a challenge because I have to make decisions like "Can I eat this in one sitting?" and "Are leftovers a good option?" and "Will I get my money's worth?" Obviously leftovers are not an option while at WDW. The prices more or less throw the money's worth argument out the window because everything is expensive. I'm left with the decision of how much food I'm willing to waste because I'll never finish an entire serving. This was often the reason why I chose soup and appetizer rather than an entree at signature restaurants.

The only time I go to buffets now is if I'm with a group of people and it's where they all want to go, and even then I'm reluctant because I know I'll never get my money's worth out of it. I made the choice to ignore this rule occasionally at WDW because all character meals are buffets, and when I took my mom to Boma because I just wanted to try it. I never regretted those decisions, but when you consider they average $50-60 and I'm barely eating $10 worth, yeah...it's not remotely a good value. It's not even a matter of starving myself the rest of the day so that I can indulge--the fact is there's only just so much room in my stomach and then I'm full, and if I take even one extra mouthful beyond the physical warnings, I'll end up in pain and possibly throwing up.

So I justify the character meals as "Screw it, it's Disney, it's a treat!"

For my 2020 trip, the meal plan is included in our entire package, so this will likely change up my decisions a little. Since price is no longer a factor at all, I might be more inclined to order more entrees and just accept the fact I'll never clear the plate. I'd really LOVE to get a nice steak somewhere, and I'll never finish half of it. Add in the dessert as well and I'm really facing a dilemma of decisions.

As good as Disney is at accommodating every imaginable dietary restriction, they have yet to address restrictive diets. I would LOVE for them to offer smaller plate options for lower prices, that encourage quality over quantity. And no, the child's menu is NOT a viable alternative--I'm at a signature restaurant for a reason. If all I wanted was chicken fingers and mac & cheese, I'd be in the quick serve line.

I have read your previous trip reports and have really enjoyed them. You have a wonderful writing style and I feel like I am right there with you.

Living in Southern California I am a regular at Disneyland, but I am finally making my very first trip to WDW next year! I feel kinda guilty that my kids aren't coming, but they are in college now and mama needs a girls trip!!

After reading your packing list I have added the carabiner clip and extra luggage locks to my packing list. One thing that I cannot travel without is an extension cord. I don't want to take up the majority of the plugs for charging multiple devices, so I plug the extension cord into an out of the way spot and keep all of my devices in one central location (usually along the side of my bed).

Packing cubes are AMAZING!! My sister suggested them and now I can't travel without them. I have 2 sets and use one for dirty clothes. It may seem weird to pack dirty clothes at the end of each day, but on the last day of my trip I don't have tons of packing to do and the dirty stuff goes straight to the laundry room when I get home.

I am looking forward to following along for your 2020 trip!

Now that life has calmed down a little bit, I thought this would be a good time to update here. There hasn't really been any developments regarding WDW plans since we're still so far out. I'm currently at 272 days out from flying to Orlando. My UK friends have passed a few milestones, however, and have already purchased their airline tickets (they're allowed to book international much further out than we can domestic flights here). And last week we passed the 100-days-out milestone for Advanced Dining Reservations, so we're definitely crawling toward the finish line now.

Stress at work (lots of organizational changes going on) had already put my obsessive planning onto the back burner, and then my brother was in a very bad car accident the last week of October. I've spend the past month back home in Wisconsin on Family Medical Leave (fortunately paid leave due to my company's generous policy) assisting both him and my elderly mother since she needs to be fully independent for the next 9 months or so. He's going to be okay; he was very lucky to survive since the other driver who was at fault did not. But he's unable to drive for the next 8-9 months, so he's totally reliant on our mom and a couple of friends. I was there to help with errands and appointments. I was also busy trying to get my mom fully prepared since we're both worried about her living alone without anyone checking in on her. Anyone who's had to go through the process of establishing Powers of Attorney and senior alert systems and other necessary senior care steps for their parents can understand the stress and sadness I've been dealing with lately.

So yeah, this WDW rarely had a chance to even enter my mind. Yesterday was the first time in over a month when I pulled up my spreadsheets and tinkered a little with my packing lists. I'm a little worried over-packing and leaving no room for anything I want to bring back. It's weighing the risk of over-packing versus paying exorbitant prices onsite for something I left at home. Every inch of those suitcases is at a premium and at some point I'm just willing to pay a little more if it means freeing up a little more space.

One decision I have made is to schedule two laundry days. Because I'll be there two full weeks, just one laundry day won't be enough; it would mean packing--at the very least--seven single new changes of clothing for each day, with no wiggle room for getting soaked, accidents, etc. By breaking up the two weeks into three sections, I can reduce that number of outfits. Plus, it occurred to me that because I plan to spend more time at the resort swimming in the pool or at the water parks, this means that I'll probably be changing clothing at least once throughout the day--and there's nothing worse than having to put sweat-wet clothing back on after swimming and showering. That means possibly TWO outfits within the same day. Yeah, that adds up quick. In fact, I might need to factor in a third short laundry run if necessary. I think I'm building enough downtime into my daily schedule to allow for it if I feel the need.

After I'd finished with the packing lists, I opened up my daily planner, glanced through the days, and realized that I'm still not quite ready to jump back into it again. I want to get into details but simply can't yet because we're too far out. I also think that it's a bit ridiculous expecting people to plan meals so far in advance, particularly when there's such a drastic difference in time between the ADR and Fastpass opening dates. While I think their intentions were good, Disney's system feels like it's gone off the rails. On my last two trips, I've let other people do the actual bookings, but this time I'll be doing most if not all of it on my own; I'm by nature a planner but even I'm feeling overwhelmed!

Ultimately I need to keep reminding myself to approach this vacation with an open mind. No matter how much I plan, there are too many uncontrollable factors--some happy--that can and likely will disrupt those plans. I learned that lesson on my last trip on the first night! I can do my homework, make plans, and set goals, but ultimately the key to a successful and overall happy trip is flexibility. Deep breath!

Last edited:
So sorry about your brother and all the things you've been dealing with! It's good that you have this trip to look forward to :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter