My recent visit to Grand Floridian Royal Palm Club.

lookingforward

DIS Veteran
After reading much bad and some good about the RPC at the Grand Floridian I feel a need to add my views. We stayed at the GF RPC Room 4403 for two nights last week. Overall we LOVED the Grand Floridian. It is a wonderful resort! I am going to post a more comprehensive report later this week, but here is a quick review.

THE GOOD: The beauty of the resort is amazing, especially at Christmas time. I can't begin to describe the sense of wonder at all the decorations, music and charm.

Our room was awesome. Room 4403 had a PERFECT view of the Castle and was very convienent to the lounge and elevator to the pool. It was wonderful waking up and seeing the castle. On our daughter's birthday the castle was lit in purple lights and we said "Cinderella lit it up just for you". It was magical.

The location was the best. We loved being on the monorail and being on the lake with the wonderful view.

The concierge staff was VERY nice to us. Except for one snotty conversation when I asked for late check out and the man said he "thinks that will be impossible". I said "well, we did not get into our room until after 5 p.m. when it was supposed to be 3 p.m. check in.... I think you can give us a few extra hours" and low and behold the impossible became POSSIBLE!. Other than that, the staff was extremely nice and cooperative. They gave my daughter two stuffed animals for her birthday and arranged for a balloon delivery.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT: Check in was a little off. We waited about twenty minutes for anyone to offer us help with our baggage.After twenty minutes the concierge came down to greet us and that was lovely. When we agreed to valet park the car we came down about 1 and 1/2 hours later and it still was in the front of the hotel. And our room was not ready until after 5 p.m.

THE FOOD IN THE LOUNGE: Well, I have to say that we were not dissapointed BUT....I think some people would be. The breakfasts are wonderful. They had a nice selecction of fresh fruit, bagels, croissants, breads, pastries, cookies, cereals, beverages, etc.
Lunch was the only dissapointment. I love to eat at different disney restaurants and we don't count on the lounge for lunch but it was a chinzy offering non the less. It consisted of three cheese/hummus based dips and breads and some cookies.
Dinner time was GREAT. Tomato and mozzerella with basil/ beef tenderloin with toast points, cheeses and crackers, etc. Very very nice and filling with an assortment of some nice wines.
After Dinner also wonderful. Lots of great desserts, coffees and liquors.

I will write more later, any questions please let me know.

Thanks for the review! :)

I have to agree about the valet/baggage situation. For some reason, the entry to this resort always seems packed. We waited 15 minutes last time just to have someone even recognize that we were there waiting. By that point, we just decided to carry our own luggage (it was only two suitcases) and self-park. We love the GF and I can recall the many years of the trolley service to your room and easy check-in. But, I can imagine that the situation now wouldn't be the greatest "first" impression.

Happy Holidays!

Originally posted by Misti
Thanks for the review! :)

I have to agree about the valet/baggage situation. For some reason, the entry to this resort always seems packed. We waited 15 minutes last time just to have someone even recognize that we were there waiting. By that point, we just decided to carry our own luggage (it was only two suitcases) and self-park. We love the GF and I can recall the many years of the trolley service to your room and easy check-in. But, I can imagine that the situation now wouldn't be the greatest "first" impression.

Happy Holidays!

I guess I must be just very lucky or something, because we never have a problem with check in/luggage! LOL There's always a CM waiting to greet us, standing there before we even get out of the car!

Lucky you, Judi! :)

Every time I've been to the GF in last 5 years or so, there is a line of cars waiting for valet/check-in. I can't remember the last time I had someone free and waiting at the main check-in. In fact, the last three times, there wasn't anyone to trolley us to our building after check-in at the front desk. We were given a map to walk and they told us our luggage would follow us shortly.

Thanks for the review. :) The RPC is definetly on my list to stay at after reading your favorable review. I'm glad you had a nice stay, and I cannot wait to try it myself. Now I'll just have to get booking.

Originally posted by Misti
Lucky you, Judi! :)

Every time I've been to the GF in last 5 years or so, there is a line of cars waiting for valet/check-in. I can't remember the last time I had someone free and waiting at the main check-in. In fact, the last three times, there wasn't anyone to trolley us to our building after check-in at the front desk. We were given a map to walk and they told us our luggage would follow us shortly.

I've sometimes had Judi's experience, and sometimes your's. Last time we did have to wait for a bellman, it only took a few minutes (granted, it was 3:30PM, and we had been waiting for our room since 11AM, and I delt with 4 different front desk CM's to try to get into the room, and when the room finally became available I was told by the CM who had checked us in and remembered us, checking the status on his own without us asking and he remembered our names. A great touch.)

I also wanted to say that the rooms were immaculate. I tipped housekeeping more because the rooms were perfect. Really, I am totally crazy about stuff like that and my husband just rolls his eyes when we check in to hotels because I always do the "inspection". Room 4403 was clean, well maintained, and just plain lovely in yellows and blues. I miss it!!!

One more thing about the lounge, there were no soda's and waters out but the staff would get them for you if you asked and they brought us the entire can unopened with a glass of ice. One night they had those famous peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the kid's area along with cupcakes, cookies and cake. The next night the sandwiches were gone and the staff told me that they don't always get them in but they wish they did because everyone wants them for their kids.

If you don't plan on using the concierge for light meals (at least for lunch) I think the Grand Floridian is terrific. Having stayed in the Poly in August and the AKL in April (all concierge) I would recommend the Poly for the great food and drinks, the AKL for the learning experience and sunrise safari and the Grand Floridian for elegance, relaxation and romance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter