My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

H, gap2368.

Thank you.

I rented a car to drive from Atlanta to Daytona Beach for 2-weeks. Then I drove to Kissimmee for another 2-weeks.

I had to leave Daytona Beach after a week because of a Volusia County Hurricane Evacuation.

The resort was nice to find me another resort to stay at before my last two weeks in Kissimmee.

I did fall down a couple of times. After checking in at Daytona Beach I went to went Walmart for groceries to get that out of the way at 0200. After getting back to SUV with groceries, I lost my balance getting out of their scooter, landed face first, right forearm, etc. A couple of staff got me up. I guess my body was tired. I should have waited until later to shop.

I was okay and ended up with scabs on my forehead, forearm, and knee.

In Kissimmee, I lost my balance in the shower and I severely sprained my dominant left wrist/hand. I didn't think that I would ever get off the bathroom floor only using my right hand and left leg.

I put ice on it and after a couple of days, I was lucky enough to roll to a nearby Walmart to get medicine, medical supplies, etc.

I felt awful a didn't use the resort's WDW shuttle even though I kept making reservations each day to go.

I wasn't sure about driving home, but with help from staff loading my wheelchair, luggage, it wasn't as bad as thought driving home using my right hand.

It is better, but I can't even lift a t-shirt with my wrist support.

And it takes forever to do common tasks like typing with one hand, but I am better.

I might cancel my October Fall Smoky Mountain trip since can't lift my wheelchair into a rental car with one hand.

Can you say pity party for me...ha...ha...ha.

Goodness, Ray. I truly hope you are doing better now that you are home again! I'm with @gap2368 - it's really good to see you here again! 🙂

Ray, glad to see you back but sorry to hear of your injury. Take care of yourself. It takes time to heal.
Goodness, Ray. I truly hope you are doing better now that you are home again! I'm with @gap2368 - it's really good to see you here again! 🙂

Thank you. I thought was feeling better so I tried typing with both hands. I had a delayed feeling of pain. I have been cautious not to use my left hand, but I am left-handed and automatically reach things with it even though I keep reminding myself not to. I'm going back to wearing my arm sling as a reminder,

Thank you. I thought was feeling better so I tried typing with both hands. I had a delayed feeling of pain. I have been cautious not to use my left hand, but I am left-handed and automatically reach things with it even though I keep reminding myself not to. I'm going back to wearing my arm sling as a reminder,

This makes me appreciate all the more your responses from the last few days. Now give yourself a rest! 😊

Ray,
I followed your advice and got a green Mag Fold and Go this past for my wife.
She has learned how to maneuver faster than I anticipated but she thinks it’s going slowly.

i messed around with the best way to load it in the car trunk and now am pretty quick. Our trunk is deep enough that I don’t have to remove the controller. I chose to keep the wheels on the ground and lever it into the trunk grabbing the big wheels inside the spokes. I actually did a little weight training in advance. I didn’t want to get a hernia.

jack

It seems like Fold and Go is starting to phase out the HD chair in favor for the Magshock.

When I get one, I will go for the MagShock. It just makes sense - it's more capable of different terrains, weather conditions, etc.

We saw several of the knock-off Fold and Go type chairs when we ran up to Branson a couple of weeks ago; It was sad to see how evident the poor quality was. I felt bad for those people, because we know they paid *almost* the same amount on Amazon for those knock-off chairs, and for not a lot more, they could have had the real thing. 😟

Ray,
I followed your advice and got a green Mag Fold and Go this past for my wife.
She has learned how to maneuver faster than I anticipated but she thinks it’s going slowly.

I messed around with the best way to load it in the car trunk and now I am pretty quick. Our trunk is deep enough that I don’t have to remove the controller. I chose to keep the wheels on the ground and lever it into the trunk grabbing the big wheels inside the spokes. I actually did a little weight training in advance. I didn’t want to get a hernia.

jack

Hi, Jack.

Thanks for posting your experience loading in a car trunk.

I've haven't rented a car with a trunk since I received my Fold and Go heavy-duty wheelchair. So I am very interested in how you loaded your wife's new Fold and Go MagShock wheelchair. By the way, I like the newer, improved design, too.

What does your wife mean when she says that she thinks it is going slower? I adapted quickly, too, but it took me longer to learn how to switch some maneuvers from using my mobility scooter to my wheelchair.

For instance:

Turning around in a circle in a small space, versus having to make wide u-turns in a mobility scooter.

Not leaning forward for something like groceries or an elevator knob or opening a doorknob, and inadvertently hitting the joystick forward with my arm or my jacket sleeve causing the wheelchair to move forward and hurting my big toe or foot. as it hits a wall.

Or unlearning how I parallel parked my mobility scooter versus finding a more efficient way to park my wheelchair on a Disney Bus.

Could you please tell me more about how you load the wheelchair in a car trunk?

I chose to keep the wheels on the ground and lever it into the trunk grabbing the big wheels inside the spokes.

So, did you fold the wheelchair and left all four wheels on the ground?

Were the rear wheels or were the front wheels or was the wheelchair turned sideways to the car's rear bumper?

Did you grab both wheels to lift the wheelchair up?

I would like to learn your way of loading the Fold and Go wheelchair in a car's trunk, in case I don't rent an SUV and I get a car with a trunk instead.

Thank you, Ray.

When I get one, I will go for the MagShock. It just makes sense - it's more capable of different terrains, weather conditions, etc.

We saw several of the knock-off Fold and Go type chairs when we ran up to Branson a couple of weeks ago; It was sad to see how evident the poor quality was. I felt bad for those people because we know they paid *almost* the same amount on Amazon for those knock-off chairs, and for not a lot more, they could have had the real thing. 😟

Hi, mamabunny.

I like the new design of the Fold and Go MagShock Wheelchair, too.

I like the new armrest design with the fold-up armrest without the extra metal in the way creating a better, more open space to reposition the body getting on and off from the side.

It looks like they moved the folding mechanism from the armrest to a lower place below the height of the seat near the two battery locations creating a completely open, obstruction-free transfer space when the lighter armrest is raised..

I like the new metal frame design of "Oval Magnesium" like a mountain bike from a "
Tubular Steel" metal. They are both still heavy duty and all-terrain. Just a newer improved design.

It is a 5-lbs. lighter with the new design.

Increased weight capacity from 365-lbs to 400-lbs

It increased the seat width by one inch from 19" to 20" without increasing the overall total wheelchair width of 24".

They added a pad to the foot rest and a leg calf support.

MagSHOCK™
Total Chair Weight: 50 LBS
Weight Capacity: 400 LBS
Frame Material: Oval Magnesium
12″ Knobby Rear Wheels
8″ Knobby Front Wheels
20″ Seat Height From Floor
20″ Overall Seat Width (I think that since they removed the wheelchair folding mechanism parts below the armrest it allowed more room for a wider cushion. It would also allow a person for wider hips since there is no extra metal below the
armrest like on the heavy-duty one.)

24″ Overall Chair Width
Ideal for ALL-TERRAIN Driving

versus

HEAVY-DUTY SIZE
Total Chair Weight 55 LBS
Weight Capacity: 365 LBS
Frame Material: Tubular Steel
12″ Knobby Rear Wheels
8″ Knobby Front Wheels
19″ Seat Height From Floor
19″ Overall Seat Width
24″ Overall Chair Width
Ideal for ALL-TERRAIN Driving

• FOLD & GO 4-Season WeatherPROOF System – Any Weather Protection Rain or Shine
  • WaterPROOF Rear Motor Wheels: 250 Watt x2 Brushless
  • WaterPROOF Dynamic Drive 360 Degree Precision Control Joystick
  • WaterPROOF Electromagnetic Brakes
  • Comes with 2 Lithium-ion batteries (each battery weighs 3 lbs)
  • Driving Range: 16 Miles – Includes 2 Batteries
  • TSA & FAA Approved Lithium-ion Battery (Airplane Use)
  • 5-Hour Rapid Global Battery Charger: 100-240V 1.5A 50/60Hz (Compatible Worldwide)
  • Total Battery Charging Time: 5 hours
  • WeatherPROOF Battery Life: 1,000 Charges
  • Joystick Quick-Release Connection for Easy Airplane Boarding
  • Magnesium Frame: Strong as Titanium and Lighter than Aluminum
  • MagSHOCK™: oval frame design with maximum shock absorption which increases bump-sensitivity and traction
  • MagCONTOUR™: ergonomically sculpted to match the curvature of your spine
  • Maximum Ground & Puddle Clearance: 5 inches (with Footrest Folded Up)
  • Industry Leading Hill Climbing Range: Up to a 25° Slope
  • NO FLAT Solid Rubber All-Terrain Rear Tires
  • NO FLAT Solid Rubber All-Terrain Front Caster Wheel
  • Net Weight with Batteries: 50 LBS
  • Weight Capacity: 400 LBS
  • Dynamic Drive 360 Degree Precision Control Joystick
  • 5-Speed Joystick Cruise Control: 0.5 MPH, 1 MPH, 2 MPH, 3 MPH, 4 MPH
  • Maximum Driving Speed: 4 MPH (ADA & FDA Compliant)
  • Unfolded Height: 38 inches
  • Overall Width: 24 inches (Fits through Bathroom Doors)
  • Folded Height: 36 inches (With Joystick in Armrest, 30 inches w/o)
  • Folded Width: 16 inches
  • Seat Width Between Armrests: 20 inches
  • Seat Depth: 20 inches
  • Backrest Height: 21 inches
  • Floor to Seat Cushion Height: 20 inches
  • Floor to Armrest Height: 28 inches
  • Rear All-Terrain Tread Wheel Dimensions: 12 inches by 2.5 inches
  • Front All-Terrain Tread Wheel Dimensions: 8 inches by 2 inches
  • Front to Back Wheelbase Length: 40 inches
  • Super Tight Turning Radius: 32 inches
  • Includes: 3-Year Warranty, ASAP Video Service Call, Wall Outlet Charger, Battery Only Charging Cable, Seat Belt, Nylon Double Zipper Storage Bag under the seat, and 7-in-1 Tool

ProductH2O.jpg

See the photo above of the Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair's armrest with the metal mechanism. It is part of the wheelchair's folding mechanism. It works, but the new Fold and Go MagShock Wheelchair's armrest changed this metal mechanism to a different position in the remodel design. See below.

ProductTSA.jpg

ProductSLOPE.jpg

MagSHOCK.jpg

See the photo above of the Fold and Go MagShock Wheelchair's armrest no longer has the obstruction of the metal mechanism. It is part of the wheelchair's folding mechanism. They moved it near the battery opening in a much better design. This allows for a wider cushion and a user with wider hips without widening the overall width of the wheelchair.

And the newly redesigned armrest is easier to fold back and allows maximum transfer space compared to mine.

MagCONTOUR.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like Fold and Go is starting to phase out the HD chair in favor of the Magshock.

Hi, Groot. Yes, they are. There are only three colors left.

Their newer next-generation Magshock design adds so many improvements.

We saw several of the knock-off Fold and Go type chairs when we ran up to Branson a couple of weeks ago; It was sad to see how evident the poor quality was. I felt bad for those people, because we know they paid *almost* the same amount on Amazon for those knock-off chairs, and for not a lot more, they could have had the real thing. 😟

Most of those chairs on Amazon are cheaper quality, made in China, and most importantly, you don’t get to pick a color, unless it’s silver.

With Fold and Go, their chairs are made from higher quality materials (the MAGShock is made from MAGNESIUM, which is just as STRONG as TITANIUM, but LIGHTER THAN ALUMINUM.

Fold and Go is an AMERICAN company and MADE IN America.

And, you can pick ANY COLOR that you want! (They still have silver, if that’s your thing).

@RaySharpton - I was SO impressed with all of the new features that they brought to the MagShock. It really is an impressive list, and it's evident to me that the company really is passionate about making the best possible chairs for their users.

@Groot LOL I don't think I want silver... but then my problem will be picking which color I do want! I don't think "tie-dye" is a color option (though I really do wish it was! LOL)

Personally, I think the most impressive thing about the new MagShock model is that 25 degree hill climbing ability. LOL that ramp in the picture reminds me a lot of the ramp at Wilderness Lodge (my favorite ramp in the world, because it's inside my favorite Deluxe Resort!) which is kind of a booger. Angus will make it to the top all in one go, but you can tell he doesn't like it!!! 😆

One of the things that scares me the most about The Big Switch from my personal ECV to the Fold and Go is that my brain looks at the F&G and says "no way can you go downhill (or down a ramp) without sliding forward out of the seat, and running over yourself with your own chair... and no way you can go uphill without tumping over backwards!" I know it doesn't happen, but I am so used to having a tiller in front of me to brace on when going down a steep hill/ramp, as well as when going up that I can't imagine how you do that! LOL I *know* it's silly - but there it is...

So, seriously - do you ever have that feeling? Like you need something to hang on to, or do you feel secure in the seat? Do you ever feel the need for a seatbelt? I can wrap my brain around a LOT of things, but that's the thing that really gives me pause at the moment.

I have to sit VERY upright because of my spinal issues, and I sometimes fear that because I sit more upright than the general population, it may put me in a position where my center of gravity is out-of-whack with what the manufacturer intended. It's one of the reasons I have stayed with my TravelScoot for so long - since I don't have to use the seat back, removing it makes it even a bit lighter than the stated weight, and it's out of my way. On a good day, I can still get on and off of Angus by swinging one leg over, like I'm getting on and off of a tricycle, so it's an unexpected bonus. When I upgraded his seat earlier this year, I made sure to get a seat that wouldn't shift my center of gravity from where the original seat was, only because I know that position works.

My *rational/logical* brain knows that driving a MagShock will be OK - it's just the emotional, scaredy-cat part of my brain that refuses to understand!

Luckily, I still have some time left with Angus. I'm hoping to be able to ride him for a couple more years before I retire him completely.

@RaySharpton - I was SO impressed with all of the new features that they brought to the MagShock. It really is an impressive list, and it's evident to me that the company really is passionate about making the best possible chairs for their users.

@Groot LOL I don't think I want silver... but then my problem will be picking which color I do want! I don't think "tie-dye" is a color option (though I really do wish it was! LOL)[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think the most impressive thing about the new MagShock model is that 25 degree hill climbing ability. LOL that ramp in the picture reminds me a lot of the ramp at Wilderness Lodge (my favorite ramp in the world, because it's inside my favorite Deluxe Resort!) which is kind of a booger. Angus will make it to the top all in one go, but you can tell he doesn't like it!!! 😆

Hi, mamabunny.

I agree. I was very impressed that my Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair outperformed my Pride Victory-10 Sport LX going up the same steep hill on my street.

Plus it was only 55-lbs versus 175-lbs total weight.

My Pride Victory-10 Sport LX was too large to travel and fit on airlines.

Plus with my Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair, I can go places easier like restaurant tables, between narrow spaces, turn 360-degrees in place, more WDW attractions accessible to wheelchairs, but not scooters requiring more transfers.

One of the things that scares me the most about The Big Switch from my personal ECV to the Fold and Go is that my brain looks at the F&G and says "no way can you go downhill (or down a ramp) without sliding forward out of the seat, and running over yourself with your own chair... and no way you can go uphill without tumping over backwards!" I know it doesn't happen, but I am so used to having a tiller in front of me to brace on when going down a steep hill/ramp, as well as when going up that I can't imagine how you do that! LOL I *know* it's silly - but there it is...

I can understand that. I don't feel that way anymore since I traveled the same path so many times.

I still feel the same need to briefly lean forward when traveling by sidewalk and I go up a poorly designed sidewalk and steep driveway ramp that has a very short but steep crossing. I automatically have the "feeling" to briefly lean forward until I completely transition to the flat sidewalk. I also felt the same way with my mobility scooter.

I no longer feel like that going up a steep hill. I just let gravity let me lean back against the wheelchair back. If that makes sense.

So, seriously - do you ever have that feeling? Like you need something to hang on to, or do you feel secure in the seat? Do you ever feel the need for a seatbelt? I can wrap my brain around a LOT of things, but that's the thing that really gives me pause at the moment.

No, I don't, but I understand. I have never felt like I was going to slide out of my Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair.

The cushion has a mesh-like cover and is water-proof. The mesh covering is not slippery like a mobility scooter smooth vinyl. The mesh doesn't move and is part of the cushion.

I have to sit VERY upright because of my spinal issues, and I sometimes fear that because I sit more upright than the general population, it may put me in a position where my center of gravity is out-of-whack with what the manufacturer intended. It's one of the reasons I have stayed with my TravelScoot for so long - since I don't have to use the seatback, removing it makes it even a bit lighter than the stated weight, and it's out of my way. On a good day, I can still get on and off of Angus by swinging one leg over, like I'm getting on and off of a tricycle, so it's an unexpected bonus. When I upgraded his seat earlier this year, I made sure to get a seat that wouldn't shift my center of gravity from where the original seat was, only because I know that position works.

Try renting a wheelchair first before buying one to see if it meets your needs.

My *rational/logical* brain knows that driving a MagShock will be OK - it's just the emotional, scaredy-cat part of my brain that refuses to understand!

Luckily, I still have some time left with Angus. I'm hoping to be able to ride him for a couple more years before I retire him completely.

It's a big change, but for me, it was wonderful!

Last edited:
Most of those chairs on Amazon are cheaper quality, made in China, and most importantly, you don’t get to pick a color, unless it’s silver.

With Fold and Go, their chairs are made from higher quality materials (the MAGShock is made from MAGNESIUM, which is just as STRONG as TITANIUM, but LIGHTER THAN ALUMINUM.

Fold and Go is an AMERICAN company and MADE IN America.

And, you can pick ANY COLOR that you want! (They still have silver, if that’s your thing).

Hi, Groot. I agree.

I chose the maroon color for my Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair. I just like the color.

It looks like the newly redesigned Fold and Go MagShock Wheelchair will replace my Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair.

The Fold and Go Heavy-Duty Wheelchair has only three colors left:

https://www.foldandgowheelchairs.com/weatherproof/heavy-duty/

Blue
Charcoal and
Purple

The Fold and Go MagShock Wheelchair has only three colors left:

https://www.foldandgowheelchairs.com/weatherproof/magnesium/

Black
Blue
Charcoal
Green
Maroon
Orange
Pearl
Purple
Red
Silver
Slate and
Turquoise

That’s the 2nd worse hill in Disney after the hill in between France and England.

I feel VERY secure in the seat. If you need a seatbelt, here’s one on Ebay that’s a push-button style. (Fold and Go is gonna upgrade their seatbelt selection to this type.)

I have to sit VERY upright because of my spinal issues, and I sometimes fear that because I sit more upright than the general population, it may put me in a position where my center of gravity is out-of-whack with what the manufacturer intended. It's one of the reasons I have stayed with my TravelScoot for so long - since I don't have to use the seat back, removing it makes it even a bit lighter than the stated weight, and it's out of my way. On a good day, I can still get on and off of Angus by swinging one leg over, like I'm getting on and off of a tricycle, so it's an unexpected bonus. When I upgraded his seat earlier this year, I made sure to get a seat that wouldn't shift my center of gravity from where the original seat was, only because I know that position works.

If you need an upgraded seat cushion, Spinlife and Sportaid have options to choose from.

Last edited:

@Groot LOL I don't think I want silver... but then my problem will be picking which color I do want! I don't think "tie-dye" is a color option (though I really do wish it was! LOL)

Reading your post finally gave me the courage to put my own scaredy-cat fears aside and try the MagShock on my steep, steep driveway. So thank you for that. We made it up and down just fine 😊

On the way down I deliberately came to an abrupt stop a few times to check two things: 1) if it would skid at all when I released the joystick. I think that possibility had probably caused the most anxiety - envisioning a scary runaway down the hill. But, nope, it just came to a complete stop. And 2) to check out the sliding-from-the-seat factor. That was a bit of a different story. I did feel a bit of a slip forward but part of the problem is that I can’t bend one knee sufficiently to get my foot up on the foot rest. And neither do I yet have the foot extension. So currently I end up with one ankle awkwardly resting over the other, which means I’m not quite properly positioned/balanced on the seat or have any leverage with my legs to stay in place. The foot extension option is on backorder. Hopefully it’ll be back in stock sooner than later.

Coming back up the driveway was easy but yet I wasn’t relaxed enough to just sit back, instead leaning forward the whole way. But that’s just going to be a matter of practice, time and trust.

Reading your post finally gave me the courage to put my own scaredy-cat fears aside and try the MagShock on my steep, steep driveway. So thank you for that. We made it up and down just fine 😊

Hi, CJN.

That's wonderful!

On the way down I deliberately came to an abrupt stop a few times to check two things: 1) if it would skid at all when I released the joystick. I think that possibility had probably caused the most anxiety - envisioning a scary runaway down the hill. But, nope, it just came to a complete stop.

Be careful with wet concrete driveways with wet Fall leaves because of either rear-wheel slinding over the leaves whether stopped or moving.

Also, be careful when driving from a sidewalk to a slanted driveway and back to the sidewalk. If the transition area of the ramp slants and is not straight, the wheelchair wants to turn in the direction of the slanted ramp towards the street.

Just go slow.

You can turn the joystick if you want as you transit the slanted, unstraight ramp to manipulate the two independent rear motored wheels can adjust to make it go straight.

It takes practice.

I usually just proceed very slowly transiting the unusual to make sure I don't roll into the street.

But I usually roll slower if approaching an imperfection or a crack or a rise or drop in the sidewalk.

And 2) to check out the sliding-from-the-seat factor. That was a bit of a different story. I did feel a bit of a slip forward but part of the problem is that I can’t bend one knee sufficiently to get my foot upon the footrest. And neither do I yet have the foot extension. So currently I end up with one ankle awkwardly resting over the other, which means I’m not quite properly positioned/balanced on the seat or have any leverage with my legs to stay in place. The foot extension option is on backorder. Hopefully, it’ll be back in stock sooner than later.

I was going to get that, but then I realized the longer footrest was too long if I tried foling it up and out of the way while still sitting in the wheelchair.

Sometimes, I like to let my feet dangle when stationary for a long time or to stand up with my feet together. Not all the time.

Coming back up the driveway was easy but yet I wasn’t relaxed enough to just sit back, instead of leaning forward the whole way. But that’s just going to be a matter of practice, time and trust.

Good!

Thank you for posting your experiences.

@RaySharpton , thanks for the tips. I didn’t think about leaves and such, and fortunately everything was dry when I was out practicing yesterday.

Regarding the extended footrest - I’m not sure if I’d be able to use it if I had the original HD model chair. The stationary armrests would require exiting by standing up forward and under those circumstances I’d prefer to have the footrest flipped up. Until I see it I’m not sure if the longer footrest - when flipped up - would extend up higher than the seat, hence becoming another obstacle to deal with either way. One unexpected thing I’ve come to really appreciate with the MagShock model is how much easier it is for me to flip up the armrest and exit to the side. Easier and safer, too, without worries of getting my feet tangled in chair parts.

Thank you all - @RaySharpton, @Groot and @CJN for your encouragement! I am so glad to hear real-world users that I *know* and TRUST tell me about their experiences! And @RaySharpton - as always, your detailed answers are amazing! 🙂

@RaySharpton I probably will wind up renting one prior to a trip - if any are available! I think those rentals must be pretty popular! I'm afraid I wouldn't want to send it back 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter