My Mother

prettypatchesmsu

DIS Veteran
I apologize for dropping off of the boards after our returning from our trip in November. I was blindsided by my Mother getting diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer the week after my husband and I came home from Disney. She had not even been sick. She passed away in January. I’ve been devastated. I still am. I’m in shock, denial, depression, and I’m angry. I don’t know how to more forward without her in my life. I’m coping the best I can, still have some bad days and moments that hit me. Everyone says it gets easier but that still seems impossible at this point. It feels sometimes more like I’m waiting on her to call after her being away, not “forever.” Having trouble wrapping my brain around that concept. I guess a piece of my heart is gone. That’s the only way I can explain it.

My Mom loved Disney and Walt Disney World. My love of it all is tangled up with her. My husband and I had booked a Free Dining Bounceback when we were down there. But I’m having a hard time getting excited about going. I want to go as I love it, but don’t know how I’ll handle it at the same time.

On top of all that, we haven’t been 100% sure we won’t be cancelling as my job is talking about letting people go because of budgeting problems. I don’t think it will be me, but it could be. They will be cutting some jobs for sure. So I’ve had that stress every day too with all the grief.

This year has totally sucked.

My condolences, to you and your family. God speed for you mom.

When the time is right, you'll be back at Disney, celebrating mom's life and holding many memories dear to you. Your mom sounds like she was a wonderful lady. :hug:'s

Sorry for your loss. Just remember this, as long as you have memories of her she will always be with you.

So very sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to grieve and to grieve - and heal - in your own personal way. I lost my father three years ago, and grief still sneaks up on me and brings me to tears.

It will probably be very difficult to go back to WDW the first time, and I think you should plan for that. And, I would suggest planning an activity that both honors the memories you have with your mom and celebrates her as well. Maybe you had a traditional “first ride” or “first meal” or favorite song...embrace that and celebrate the memories, even through your tears.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this.

I apologize for dropping off of the boards after our returning from our trip in November. I was blindsided by my Mother getting diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer the week after my husband and I came home from Disney. She had not even been sick. She passed away in January. I’ve been devastated. I still am. I’m in shock, denial, depression, and I’m angry. I don’t know how to more forward without her in my life. I’m coping the best I can, still have some bad days and moments that hit me. Everyone says it gets easier but that still seems impossible at this point. It feels sometimes more like I’m waiting on her to call after her being away, not “forever.” Having trouble wrapping my brain around that concept. I guess a piece of my heart is gone. That’s the only way I can explain it.

My Mom loved Disney and Walt Disney World. My love of it all is tangled up with her. My husband and I had booked a Free Dining Bounceback when we were down there. But I’m having a hard time getting excited about going. I want to go as I love it, but don’t know how I’ll handle it at the same time.

On top of all that, we haven’t been 100% sure we won’t be cancelling as my job is talking about letting people go because of budgeting problems. I don’t think it will be me, but it could be. They will be cutting some jobs for sure. So I’ve had that stress every day too with all the grief.

This year has totally sucked.
I write to express my profound sympathies and deepest condolences to you and your family :(

I'm so sorry. The loss of your mother leaves you feeling lost and to be honest like an orphan no matter how old you are. I lost mine 8 years ago. It's a hard road to travel but please for your own mental health, find a way to make peace with it. The anger will prolong these horrible times and make things so much worse. The most therapeutic thing I did after mom died was take a solo trip to Disney where I could just be in my own head and think about mom. Find somewhere to go alone for at least a weekend. You'll be glad you did. The only thing that seemed to help was reminding myself that every single one of us passes on and mom was just the first of my small family to end her journey. We'll get there, and she is still around you. We just have other things to do first. Sending prayers and love to you for a healed heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!