My morning walk around the DL perimeter

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
As some here know, Sundays have been my DL day for quite some time. Like everyone, I miss the park so I decided to take a drive down this morning and walk the perimeter, which, in total, came to mean 3.3 miles.

I began my day like any typical DL day: I awoke at 5:20 and was on the road by around 6:30. As a special treat, I decided to have vegan sausage, vegan and gluten/sugar-free waffles with real maple syrup and an organic orange. Awesome start :-).
7BB3CC89-F000-4EB0-A1A2-2D24CE6F55C8.jpeg

I parked far closer to the park than I thought I’d be able. I presumed all residential streets within at least a mile radius (if not two) would be zoned. It turned out that I parked only about a half mile from the Ball/Disneyland Way intersection. When I did, this very friendly cat ran up to greet me. I pet it for a few minutes and then moved on. It followed me for half the block. But then it found some shade and chose it over me. Sounds like a metaphor for my dating life ;-).

69C0448E-8B52-4CF8-9674-2E22706E8A77.jpeg

The rest of the pics should be reasonably recognizable from Disneyland.

The M&Fs parking structure entrance. A security post must be just off to the right because I heard several dogs barking as I approached to snap this pic.
6688B576-D8A9-4945-B2E0-CD26C38DEF82.jpeg

A87CEEE7-6F3C-432F-AD6E-B496DBC6758E.jpeg

1614065B-9C0E-4267-9085-8ED872CB853B.jpeg

The main DL entrance on Harbor.
F9A1497C-37FE-4E61-A170-E12616D3828E.jpeg

The tram path. I wonder when I'll see it again from eye-level.
61FC6F0C-4AAB-4F48-9811-F68ECDA37F5D.jpeg

83579CFA-4E20-4B37-BBB9-73615DBB8555.jpeg

314E4220-C07D-4D09-BFE0-C62461F076DB.jpeg

F4589443-262E-49AE-9A39-E6E4FEB70EBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Great photos, it’s like something out of I Am Legend or (insert post-apocalyptic movie here).

Were they still piping in music, or were you generally too far to hear any?

Great photos, it’s like something out of I Am Legend or (insert post-apocalyptic movie here).
Thank you :-).

Were they still piping in music, or were you generally too far to hear any?
Perhaps I was too far to hear anything but I definitely heard zero music the entire time. Perhaps next time I'll put a collection of music from the various lands on my iPod and play the geographically-appropriate ones as I walk ;-).

On a related note, I understand that (at least for a time), music was played in Pripyat (the town near Chernobyl) because otherwise the few people that were there on occasion found it too spooky.

On a related note, I understand that (at least for a time), music was played in Pripyat (the town near Chernobyl) because otherwise the few people that were there on occasion found it too spooky.

Interesting fact (I really liked the Chernobyl mini-series on HBO + Podcast).

When I was in HS, I was at the DLH for a conference in April/May, and I remember walking along the perimeter down to the Hilton early in the mornings to meet with friends before popping into the convention center.

It was a great/quiet walk then, these photos remind me of that.

Love seeing the pictures but it also makes me a little sad. We were supposed to go this summer, I haven't been in a couple years and I've really been looking forward to it.
To be honest, I think it served to bring me down a bit as well. My mood was low today and I suspect my trip on Sunday contributed to it more than I realized. Oh well. Sometimes we try things that turn out to be less than what we hope. As I often say to friends: it’s better to try and fail than to fail to try. :-). Better days are ahead.

To be honest, I think it served to bring me down a bit as well. My mood was low today and I suspect my trip on Sunday contributed to it more than I realized. Oh well. Sometimes we try things that turn out to be less than what we hope. As I often say to friends: it’s better to try and fail than to fail to try. :-). Better days are ahead.

How was activity along Katella and Harbor? As much as I sometimes loathe some of the businesses along the main drag, I feel for those business owners there.

I'm thinking of these guys, hey anyone have $20M to spare?

How was activity along Katella and Harbor? As much as I sometimes loathe some of the businesses along the main drag, I feel for those business owners there.
Virtually non-existent. I saw few cars and fewer people. Every hotel I passed - and there were many - was closed and, indeed, roped-off.

Thx so much for sharing. What a great thread! I’ve never been to Disneyland... is that actually an entrance area and you got that close? Wow! Pix were great by the way. Really enjoyed them.

Thx so much for sharing. What a great thread! I’ve never been to Disneyland... is that actually an entrance area and you got that close? Wow! Pix were great by the way. Really enjoyed them.
It depends which one you're talking about. One of the earlier ones was merely the entrance to the Mickey & Friends parking structure. But there were a few later ones that were snapped on Harbor, which I suppose could be called, reasonably, the "main entrance." DL is my favorite of all the six parks in the world. Friends and I like to call it "The Original" or "Walt's Park" :-).

Yep Walt's park, haha...just to give you a better sense of how dense and hemmed in DL is compared to WDW, this was posted a few weeks ago. Normally, there's a flight restriction over DL, but the pilot was granted transit through the zone (rare), you can fast forward to 8:45, but it's a cool video to watch in its entirety:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter