• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My less than magical stay at the Disneyland Hotel--Disney's resolution, pg 2

Just curious - is the DLH rated as a Delux on thier sites? I've always thought of the PPH as the Value, DLH as the moderate and the GC as the Delux - if you were trying to compare DL resorts to WDW ones.... I'd be interested to see how they are marketed to people who haven't seen them in person.... DLH is (as far as looks) gorgeous and well themed - but I don't think it can stack up to the deluxes at WDW.

AFMom said:
Just curious - is the DLH rated as a Delux on thier sites? I've always thought of the PPH as the Value, DLH as the moderate and the GC as the Delux - if you were trying to compare DL resorts to WDW ones.... I'd be interested to see how they are marketed to people who haven't seen them in person.... DLH is (as far as looks) gorgeous and well themed - but I don't think it can stack up to the deluxes at WDW.

Your description of the DL Resort Hotels is pretty close. The pool at the DH is very well themed...better than many at WDW. GH's pool is quite similar to the one at WL. PP has been remodeled since my last visit to that property. That hotel was purchased by Disney years ago. It was not built by Disney. The entire resort is set up differently because of the lack of available property. It is not like the sparling space surrounding WDW. There is a lot of charm associated with DL.

The DL hotel is really showing its age and wear and tear. Though, they remodel rooms frequently, they are not very well kept up, imo. I do love the GC...it is stricking in its appearance.

Sorry to hear about how you were treated. I think the cm's play an important roll. They are a big part of the "magical" experience. @ disney, I love that the grounds are kept up. Bathrooms clean/stocked and the cm are friendly and respectful. I seems most times I've been if there is something that I'm not pleased with Disney does it's best to change it.

I had a incident while visiting wdw. It was with a young girl who worked as a lifegaurd. I was shocked that she was so rude to me. It was then that I realized just how improtant of a roll each cast member plays in the whole disney experience. Again, I'm sorry and disapointed to hear about how you were treated on multiple occ.

It's nice that the hotel addressed this issue but I feel like they are missing the point of what happened here.

AFMom said:

Disneyland does not rate their onsite properties into categories quite the same as WDW does. I think all three properties are considered deluxe, just more expensive as you climb up the food chain! I have stayed at the PP and DLH and think those two almost fall into a gray area. They have the interior corridors, valet and bell services, room service, full service restaurants that the deluxe's at WDW have but I guess aren't as themed. I think there are WDW regulars who are used to the Poly or WL and stay there and feel jipped in some way. Although to me the Disneyland Hotel is pretty well themed with the Neverland Pool, pixie dust wallpaper and other nice touches. There is no way PP is a value. I have stayed at All Star Movies, Sports and Pop Century and they are fun but they are a far cry from the Paradise Pier. They are Motel 6's with some fun theming and large pools, not a Marriott type highrise with amenities. Also the best deal you can ever hope to get at PP (in a very off season) is with the stay 4 nights get one night free deal which brings your nightly average to around $130 a night for four nights. I have stayed at Pop for as little as $49 a night off season. That is a value! Comparing the onsite hotels of Disneyland to WDW is like comparing apples to oranges. Both DLH and PP were not built by Disney originally but the Grand Californian was which is why it has more of that over the top "I am at Disney" feeling to it. The Disneyland Resort is so much more compact they just can't compete with the space WDW has and therefore their resorts are going to be much different. That said, I still try as hard as possible to stay onsite when I got to Disneyland. I am sorry the OP had such a rotten experience at the DLH. We have stayed there 5 times and twice at PP and had wonderful stays each time.

Wow! This all sounds discouraging to me. After my first time visit to DL in Oct., I returned a mere three weeks later because I had not had enough. I just got an AP for DL on my last trip and was eyeing the $89 a night special for the DL hotel in Jan.

During my last two trips, I have stayed at the HoJo Anaheim Plaza and LOVED LOVED LOVED everything about the place. Now I'm doubting the DLH and thinking about the HoJo once again.

Is the Paradise Pier, typically, any better than the DLH?? It looks to be located quite far from the resort itself versus the short walk from the HoJo. Does everyone walk from Paradise Pier or take a shuttle of sorts?

Thanks for the input and I'm sorry you had such a bad time at DLH. The CM's out at Cali are having a ROUGH time lately and there are a lot of labor issues going on out there. Goto mouseplanet.com and read that last two VERY DETAILED articles about the situation. This explains the lack of good service for the past year a bit and it doesn't look like it is going to get better anytime soon.

I've spent a total of 29 days at WDW this year alone after buying my AP for that location and have stayed in the MODS and VALUE resorts. I've always had STELLAR service at WDW....never a complaint.

crazyj4488 said:
Wow! This all sounds discouraging to me. After my first time visit to DL in Oct., I returned a mere three weeks later because I had not had enough. I just got an AP for DL on my last trip and was eyeing the $89 a night special for the DL hotel in Jan.

During my last two trips, I have stayed at the HoJo Anaheim Plaza and LOVED LOVED LOVED everything about the place. Now I'm doubting the DLH and thinking about the HoJo once again.

Is the Paradise Pier, typically, any better than the DLH?? It looks to be located quite far from the resort itself versus the short walk from the HoJo. Does everyone walk from Paradise Pier or take a shuttle of sorts?

I wouldn't be discouraged! I know the OP had a miserable stay and that is a shame but many (most in fact or they would be out of business) enjoy their stays there. Even my incredibly picky brother and his wife loved the DLH when we went with them last year! I have stayed at the HoJo once, the Disneyland Hotel 5 times, Paradise Pier twice. My family has loved each and every one of our stays at the onsite hotels at Disneyland. We have also loved our stays at the All Stars, Port Orleans, and Saratoga Springs and liked (but not loved) our stay at Pop Century which felt like being in a crowded dorm! The HoJo is very nice but to me it cannot compare to either the DLH or PP. That is just my opinion and some might disagree. For starters, I much prefer the walk up and down DTD each day and night as opposed to busy Harbor Blvd. It just increases the magic to me and makes me feel like we have truly left the real world behind. Also, we travel off season when we can, so with the parks closing early, hanging out and dining at DTD in the evening is very convenient when you stay onsite. I have found the cm's at Disneyland to always be very nice and have never had any problems, especially with the hotel staff at both onsite hotels we have stayed at. I think what brings the ratings of the onsite hotels down is the value of your dollar. For sometimes over $200 people really expect exceptional service with no mix ups as they should. The HoJo offers great rates, especially with an Entertainment card and has the prettiest grounds of any of the hotels on Harbor near Disneyland, making it much more charming and relaxing. We had a fine stay there but it was hard to be too impressed after staying at the DLH several times. I found the rooms to be a tad dated and hated the fact that our building did not have an elevator, especially when we checked in with two kids and about a million pounds of luggage. I also did not like the fact that the "interior" corridors were open on the ends which didn't make them feel anymore secure than exterior corridors. I would still stay there again but I guess I was just surprised it rated higher on tripadvisor than the onsite hotels (except for GC) because to me it was maybe a two star motel in a great location with a great staff but still a motel. Also, there are places even closer to the main gate of Disneyland for about the same money so if I do stay offsite again I might try one of those or most like the Candy Cane. I actually found the walk to the HoJo a bit long, especially at night. I have recommended the HoJo for people who want a clean, decent place to stay near Disneyland. But when people ask me if staying onsite is worth it I say yes, because to me and my family it is when I can at all justify the cost. And incidentally, the HoJo has come under fire lately from many people who did not like their stays there at all. Yet it still gets good reviews overall.

The walk to PP is is probably no more (give or take a bit) than the walk to the HoJo. There is no shuttle and I would say the walk is right around 15 minutes and thats with two kids. Again, it is a very nice walk up DTD and you can also cut through the Grand Californian's entrance to DCA if you are at that park or going to it. You can also take the monorail, although I think that is going down for refurb sometime soon. The DLH has really lovely grounds and koi ponds and an awesome Peter Pan themed pool. PP has no grounds and a boring pool with a fabulous slide. When I have stayed at PP that is the thing I miss the most about the DLH, the pool area. Although my kids will generally be happy swimming in any pool, DH and I just missed the pool bar at the DLH! The one at PP has never been open when we have stayed there. We enjoy PP but consider the DLH our favorite. We have decided to use our DVC points to stay at the Grand Californian in June so maybe we will have a new favorite, who knows? If you can get an $89 rate at the DLH you should definitely take it and run! I have seen many posters who frequent WDW who have really enjoyed their stays at the DLH. Like any large hotel it has its fans and critics but for that rate you cannot go wrong in my book!

Personnally, I have found that the DLH is a wonderful hotel that is very well kept. I've stayed in some dives in the Disneyland area and feel that this is one of the best places to set your head down. The rooms are clean, the staff is attentive, the beds are wonderfully comfortable. I'm headed there in December and due to the lack of AP rates in December I am paying almost rack rate. To me this is still a good deal. I just can't wait to step foot in there again.

I do think that I just had a really big string of bad luck. And I will admit that once there started to be more and more things, and it became harder to ignore things that I would normally just roll right off my back. I have no desire to stay there again, though.

Still, it was frustrated to be treated so rudely by the staff.

Karen

crazyj4488 said:

I stayed at DLH this summer and PP last month. Honestly, my walk from PP was closer than my walk from DLH. At DLH I was in the furthest building and 1 door was blocked off so we had to go out the front door to the parking lot and walk around the building, past PP. Neither were far, probably 10 minutes from DL Hotel, but PP was closer for me. Obviously if I had a closer room at DL Hotel, that may have been different.

I really liked PP for the beach theme and I had a great view of California Adventure. My room was very good sized, and spotless. I also agree with Amy & Dan, there is no way PP is a "value" resort. I love the values at WDW, but PP is really a deluxe if you were comparing it to that.

TLinden16 said:
I do think that I just had a really big string of bad luck. And I will admit that once there started to be more and more things, and it became harder to ignore things that I would normally just roll right off my back. I have no desire to stay there again, though.

Still, it was frustrated to be treated so rudely by the staff.

Karen

I totally understand, Karen. We had a similar experience at the Poly, which I have always LOVED! Just one thing after another kept happening and by the end we were fed up. If it were one thing, I wouldnt have even noticed it much, but the fact that stuff just kept messing us up was so aggravating. I guess it can happen anywhere. :(

I had taken our vacation in April at the Disneyland Hotel. We also had a very bad experince. The Cm where rude to us aswell from the time we checked iin it went down hill. But they did upgrade us for our next visit next April. I have taken vacation there for several years now and this was the worst I have ever experienced. They lost the top of our wedding cake and found it in lost and found. I was told I did not have a choice of rooms because I went through a warehouse. Meaning I used a travel agent and got a discount. So I could not pick the Sierra bldg. but they did end up moving me the next day but I had to wait for check in time again. It was not a good trip for us. I am hoping that April 2006 will be better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter