My house...improvement help

We are in an apartment as we sold our old home and our new one is still being built. We have white quartz countertops in our apartment and I hate them. As a buyer I would much prefer the gray. Different strokes and all.

I would have a hard time spending all that money for nothing, but if you hate them that much I could understand why you would do it. Good luck with your decision.

I had Quartz n tumbled marble in the last kitchen. Tumbled marble is no longer “ in” according to the designer I used for the new place. She thought we should do subway tile. I opted not too. Not the look I wanted.
Op.. I’d go with what you like and when you sell, the new owner will make their own decision.

Do what you will enjoy for the next 5 years.

Down the road a white quartz countertop will not hurt your homes value.

Ultimately do it if you really want it and are not expecting it to bring more value to your home. At the very least, consider if the white quartz will make your current cabinets look even more aged. White quartz is very modern looking so I'd expect them to be paired with paired with shaker or flat front cabinets. Depending on your cabinets, white quartz could pair nicely or could potentially make your kitchen look more dated overall, especially in another 5yrs. Thinking as the next buyer, I'd hate to see beautiful quartz counters on dated cabinets that I'll have to rip out in order to update the cabinets.

I had Quartz n tumbled marble in the last kitchen. Tumbled marble is no longer “ in” according to the designer I used for the new place. She thought we should do subway tile. I opted not too. Not the look I wanted.
Op.. I’d go with what you like and when you sell, the new owner will make their own decision.

LOL. I thought SUBWAY tile was out. It was fading 5 years ago when we started meeting with designers for our remodel. Wasn't an issue, we had plain old tile in the kitchen, (and a tile entry way). My wife has made it clear no house of ours will ever have any kind of tile again.

Do what you will enjoy for the next 5 years.

Down the road a white quartz countertop will not hurt your homes value.

Really the best advice. But for me I cold never spend what a counter top costs of any material and only enjoy it for 5 years.

Ultimately do it if you really want it and are not expecting it to bring more value to your home. At the very least, consider if the white quartz will make your current cabinets look even more aged. White quartz is very modern looking so I'd expect them to be paired with paired with shaker or flat front cabinets. Depending on your cabinets, white quartz could pair nicely or could potentially make your kitchen look more dated overall, especially in another 5yrs. Thinking as the next buyer, I'd hate to see beautiful quartz counters on dated cabinets that I'll have to rip out in order to update the cabinets.
I agree with this. What are your cabinets like? Do they need a refresher, too? I saw you said you've done updates in your kitchen but you didn't mention your cabinets (that I saw). I thought I wanted quartz at one time, but as we proceeded with our remodel, I chose granite instead, and I love it. Our electrician had suggested undercabinet lightning with the granite, and it was probably one of the best things we did in the kitchen - it really makes the granite shine and gives a nice overall glow and warmth to the kitchen. How would that look with your cabinets?

Thanks for the opinions so far! I really appreciate them. Sometimes I start looking at a problem and lose focus. I would be overjoyed to come downstairs in the morning and look at new countertops.

This is really the reason to do it. Life is short.

cinnaminny said:
I don't know if you all have experienced corian, especially dark corian but it scratches errr "petina" and its just annoying. Plus ugly. lol It also gets a weird soapy buildup.
There was a time I would've been happy to have Corian, having lived with Formica for over twenty years! When we bought our house it actually had the "fake wood" countertops, and I switched them out to white textured Formica, which I actually liked, but then Corian, and later granite and other types of countertops took over. We have Corian at work and they haven't held up well at all. So I guess one benefit of waiting is that you can skip over some styles altogether if you wait long enough!

Thanks for all the advice! I am calling a few places later today to get some quotes! I'm pretty excited!!

When we did a kitchen I wanted to keep it simple as we were also renovating elsewhere. I have always wanted quartz but it would have crushed the budget (lots of surface space) and I'd have to pull back on other plans. I went with solid surface.

My brother (designer) who was helping me said "Do what you want and enjoy it. Odds are who ever buys your house next will gut it. Styles change too fast and people put much focus on their own kitchen desires."

So do what you want and enjoy!

PS I have granite at one house, solid surface at another and if I could redo them again ... only answer would be quartz!!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter