My Han Solo Spooktacular trip to WDW (2nd trip but 1st solo and on property)

Great trip report. Sorry about your suitcase. I had 2 ruined within 2 years on Southwest airlines. Disney (CBR) paid for one (happened on the way there). I attempted to put in a claim to the airline for the other, but they made it so difficult I couldn't be bothered. I just went out and bought a new one. I had to laugh about Country Bears, I was the ONLY one in there when I went (couldn't wait until it was over). I will be going again in less than 2 months and can't wait. I also booked another trip for August. Maybe I should get an annual pass. I live on Long Island, New York so I don't know how often I will be able to use an AP. Right now we are in the middle of a blizzard. I am supposed to be at work in 5 1/2 hours. I'm not sure if I am going. I am an RN so my job never closes for weather (snowstorms, hurricanes, etc.). I have never been to Universal. Which do you like better (Disney or Universal)? I really enjoyed reading your report along with your photos. Enjoy your next trip [to Disneyland Paris].

Thank you. I don't have much luck with suitcases almost all the trips I've taken to the US have resulted in a damaged suitcase, I left LA with a brand new $99 target suitcase and it came back with a large crack on the front, I just duct taped it this trip and it's still going.

Oh wow, the only one, I would have felt so awkward, I almost thought I was going to be the only one for the Tiki Room but then more showed up.

Ah, that's a tough one, depends on your discounts I guess to know whether it would save you money on more than one trip. Ugh I've seen some of the weather on the news, we normally get the left over weather in about 10-14 days after so it'll probably end up being a lot of rain when it gets to us. I will not want snow, we don't get it often so we don't have the infrastructure to cope.

Hmm I will say Disney but although it's a theme park and it does have a few kids rides and parade I think of it more of a place where families of pre-teen/teen kids would go or just adults. The staff are just as friendly as the CM's I spend more time in Disney so the balance is off so not sure I can really say the CM's were better in all fairness. I do love their Harry Potter areas and the do have nice themed lands and the rides are fun, a bit more thrill based. I'm not sure what I shall do next time because I had so many issues with my eyes blurring and the screens in the simulator/coaster style rides. Depending on what they have added I might do a split day rather than two in the trip. I'd say it is defiantly worth going to. I did go to Universal at the end of the trip when I had dwindling energy it probably meant I didn't give Universal much of a chance this trip.

Thank you, I thought some of it would be helpful to those planning a trip especially ready for next Halloween. I've seen people planning already and yet I'm going to Paris in 2 months and I have not planned anything other than one pre-booked breakfast. :scared::scared1:

They finally released the packages for the FanDaze event with rare characters and new costumes so I'm a little sad I won't be going for that but even with the package being good value I think it was too much for my friend to afford and it didn't include travel.

Aside from Disneyland Paris I'm hoping to do a return to Disneyland Resort in the next year or two. I want to return to WDW for 2021 and try an do a few days on a Disney Cruise. I'm torn between going to catch Festival of the Arts time or Flower and Garden but avoiding spring break.

WDW summary

Character meals

I enjoyed all the meals I went to and would take any first timers to them with me. Going back with just me/a seasoned traveller...I think I'd skip Chef Mickey's breakfast (it was fun, especially for kids and I found chocolate sauce with pancakes/waffles was too much in the early morning, I'm a plain cornflakes/porridge/croissant kind of girl) and Bon Voyage it was great but a bit of a pain to get to and it was too much food. The same goes for 'Ohana and Garden Grill, solo breakfasts there...it was just too much food. Although I did like that it was quiet at Garden Grill when I went so I might be tempted to do that one again. I'd do Tusker House again. Minnie's Beach Club bash at Cape May was fun again a bit of travelling involved so going solo I'd skip. The Boardwalk did look beautiful with the sunrise on it so that makes for a lovely photo and a pre/post breakfast walk. Crystal Palace is fun too, not sure if I'll do it next time.

Skipper Canteen and Be Our Guest I loved the themes but the food was not to my taste so I would skip these on a solo trip. I know that the Hollywood and Vine dinner gets a bit of a bad rep in some reviews on the food but I didn't mind it and I loved the costumes so I would do that again, if I get a Fantasmic! FP with it, all the better.

So basically Hollywood and Vine dinner, Tusker House breakfast and maybe Garden Grill Breakfast. I shall have a lot of new things to do next time and as I found a lot of the meals too much food wise and I don't want to end up doing a lot of sit down meals I shall skip them. That's nothing against the meal/CM's/restaurant but if I have to choose between doing new and favorite things in a leisurely pace and new and old crammed into a day I'll be cutting back.

Shows

Rivers of Light: I really enjoyed watching this, I think it was the right length and just gave you a moment to relax and enjoy a different pace of Disney.

Tree of Life Awakenings: I enjoyed watching these although it was a challenge to catch it in time.

Festival of The Lion King: My second viewing and it is fun to watch.

Flights of Wonder: This was my first viewing and now its gone, my last. I thought it was fun and informative so hopefully the new show will be the same.

Fantasmic!: This is my second viewing, I did enjoy it, I think if I don't get a FP with dinner again I'd skip just to make sure I get to see other things but if I have time I'd include it as its a lovely show.

Beauty and the Beast: I've seen it twice now and I think I'm done watching it, not bad but one of those shows you don't always have to see (unless you want to).
Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular: I really enjoyed this although I think I will give myself a bit more time and find a better spot.

Star Wars: A Galaxy, Far, Far Away: I think next time I shall try to catch it earlier in the day next time, I missed the very start and I was melting in the heat.

Disney Movie Magic: I enjoyed tis a lot but like the Star Wars fireworks I think next time a better spot than what I had.

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth: I've seen it twice maybe three times now and I'm not to fussed by this one so I shall skip next trip unless it has changed but that's kind of handy because I can focus more on rides or have an early night.

Festival of Fantasy Parade: I thought this was fun, whilst I got a great view of the parade from Frointerland my view from Main Street got better pictures (minus the flame from the dragon) and I was able to get a spot last minute (perk of going solo).

Move It! Shake it! Dance & Play it! Party: I thought this was fun but so much more fun if you were in a group, I also felt kids were able to get closer to the characters than solo adults.

Once Upon a Time Castle Projection Show: I enjoyed watching this, will try and watch it once or twice next time because I'm sure I'll try and get a photo on it.

Happily Ever After: I really enjoyed this, I didn't have the connection to Wishes like others have. I would defiantly try and see this at least once but aim for twice in a trip.

I enjoyed the opening show for MK, I liked being able to pop into Starbucks for a croissant and a drink and enjoy it in a quite empty Main Street and get some nice photos of an almost empty Town Square and Main Street.​

Missed:
Finding Nemo The Musical: I have seen this before I just ran out of time to see it this time, I might watch this instead of Festival of Lion King next time to try and space my days out better.
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular: Seen before, wanted to watch it again but didn't get a chance so I shall do this next time.
Captain Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial: I saw all of it on the first trip and bits of it on this trip but that was fun but I wish the viewing area was shaded.
Voyage of The Little Mermaid: I did not managed to squeeze this in, I haven't seen it before so will try and get that in next trip.
Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire: I caught a bit of this whilst I was waiting to go to my Crystal Palace ADR, if I can catch an dearly show I shall try and watch it next time but I'm not too bothered.

Not seen:
Voices of Liberty: I've seen them at Disneyland at Christmas and I'm not too bothered by watching them, they are talented though.
Frozen Sing-Along: I wanted to only see it if a certain CM was in the show who is really funny, turns out I would have know because there's a place on social media. If he's still there and the shows about when I go I shall give it a watch.

I can never pick a number 1 park, I have too many favorites in different parks but MK and AK stand out the most too me.

I love the general theme of the MK park and I love walking in Africa and Asia in AK. I especially love the safari and I also love the countries in Epcot. I think that HS will be fun once they have the new additions up and running but at the moment is was in a sorry state.

Water Parks

I found for a solo trip I much preferred Blizzard Beach, it just felt like there were a few more options, if I was with a group I might change it up and go to Typhoon Lagoon.

Universal/Volcano Bay
Volcano Bay was a bit of a disappointment although the theming is great, it was in its first year though so bit hard to judge it now. They need time to get it running and work out any issues and make improvements.

Universal was great in with all the single rider queues but I felt more like I was on my own there and with all the trouble I had with the rides I think I'd do just a one day multi park/skip on the next trip. If there is a lot of new stuff to see then I shall make the time to see it.

Disney Springs - I loved the new layout, it looks like a lovely place to walk around and a nice mix, I think it's ideal for those in a travel party that may not be that into Disney because it's themed in a different way.

I can't really pick a favorite character meet, Goofy and Donald offered some of the most fun and a bit of Chip and Dale. I think next trip will be all about seeing the classics and then any new characters. I think Epcot's character spot, Donald and Daisy in HS and Chip and Dale too would be enough.

My favorite places to eat where Pecos Bill, Magic Kingdom and Moe's South West Grill at City Walk, Universal.

If your not used to being in the sun much and want to wear Ears I recommend doing that in the mornings/evenings and during photos and then swapping to a hat during the midday heat and sun. I burnt my scalp a little on the first or second day and after than the hat came out.

Things I would like to see Disney would change

Letting non US residents use the shopping part of the Disney app, I would love the bit where it tells you which stores in the parks have what you are after, I don't care if I can't purchase it through the app. It would save so much time.

Change the carpets in All-Star Movies a nice lino would be great.

Better bus service to breakfasts that are in resorts either by a shuttle (maybe pre-bookable when you get your ADR would be handy so they can do a multi resort pick up) or at least make the Minnie Van's accessible to non deluxe resort guests quicker.

Bring back more of their scrapbook style ranges, they could do so much and dabble into mixed media too. It is so hard to even get left overs of the US stock in the UK. Pretty sure they would sell if they market it right.

Things I wish I did differently

Did not waste my time in that silly merchandise queue at Epcot on the 35th anniversary.
Did not wear slightly heeled sandals on my first Disney day, I think my other ones would have been better.
Did not loose my Universal ticket.
Did not try and get that bus for my Bon Voyage breakfast and just get a taxi instead.

Things I want to do next time

Star Wars: A Galaxy's Edge
Guardians of the Galaxy ride
Toy Story Land
Disney Cruise
A couple of nights in Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah room
Disney Mini golf - either one.
Take a more relaxed pace
Take more video of random parts of Disney rather than just the parade and fireworks.
Either Festival of the Arts or Flower and Garden Festival

Return to Sleepy Hollow event
I had not heard of this was it something specific to Fort Wilderness or Wilderness lodge?

38017577372_185c65ceeb.jpg

Ratatouille
I love this pic.

What also threw me was how similar she looked to my friend who had passed away so it took me a moment to get a response from me.
:sad1:

Yep, thanks for blocking everyone's view guys.
Some people!!!!

I want to return to WDW for 2021
Me too. Their 50th anniversary. Yay

Rivers of Light: I really enjoyed watching this, I think it was the right length and just gave you a moment to relax and enjoy a different pace of Disney
I loved this.

Letting non US residents use the shopping part of the Disney app, I would love the bit where it tells you which stores in the parks have what you are after, I don't care if I can't purchase it through the app. It would save so much time.
That would be nice for you guys.

A couple of nights in Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah room
You'd love this. If you ever do it, plan to spend more time at the resort so you can enjoy it. We blew off our last nt. ADR at Cali. Grill during fireworks so that we could enjoy our balcony.

I really enjoyed your TR. You got so much done it was amazing. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

If you get time swing by my TR for December. The 999th haunt stole my bra.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-999th-haunt-stole-my-bra-updated-1-5.3652878/

I had not heard of this was it something specific to Fort Wilderness or Wilderness lodge?

I love this pic.

:sad1:

Some people!!!!

Me too. Their 50th anniversary. Yay

I loved this.

That would be nice for you guys.

You'd love this. If you ever do it, plan to spend more time at the resort so you can enjoy it. We blew off our last nt. ADR at Cali. Grill during fireworks so that we could enjoy our balcony.

I really enjoyed your TR. You got so much done it was amazing. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

If you get time swing by my TR for December. The 999th haunt stole my bra.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-999th-haunt-stole-my-bra-updated-1-5.3652878/

It was an event held at Fort Wilderness campground but anyone could go it was about $39 plus tax for the premium seating. I found out about it online and booked it during the summer. I think closer to September it started to sell out.

I thought it would be a good year to go back, I'm hoping even though I'm planning early in the year they will still do lots of fun things as it is such a big birthday. I also think it will allow for a bit of time for Star Wars A Galaxy's Edge to calm down a bit, I still expect it to be busy but not as crazy as the first year.

I would love that in the app, I spent so much time wandering around the shops and then trying to remember where I had seen things to pick them up later. I was trying to view everything first and then pick it up nearer the end of the trip so I didn't get carried away buying things. I only ended up returning a pin badge as my friend didn't want it and a Minnie Mouse top and Halloween version that I loved did not fit me well.

That's what I want to do, I might try and arrive in Orlando, spend a couple of nights at AKL and then head off for the cruise and return to probably AS Movies and then spend some days in the parks.

Thank you, I did, I will try to scale it down a bit though as I did find myself getting a bit too tired.

Your TR has a very intriguing title! I shall pop over soon to read of your adventures. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter