My first trip with my ECV on a plane

arminnie

<font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br
Thanks for the reassurances that were offered here before my trip. Taking my ECV really was incredibly easy. This trip was not Disney related, but the procedure will be pretty much the same when I fly to Orlando this spring.

My DH and I flew from New Orleans to San Francisco (for my 40 year reunion). My DH pulled up to the outside baggage check-in. He dropped the luggage and ECV off, and I boarded it at the curb. A skycap took the luggage and my walker to be checked.

I waited just inside for my DH to go drop off the car at long-term parking. We then proceeded to security. We both had pre check, but there was a delay as there were 2-3 other people with mobility devices ahead of me, and they only take one at a time.

I loved having the ECV in the airport vs being wheeled to the gate in a wheelchair by a skycap. I could shop, eat, etc. with ease as we waited. When the gate staff arrived I was given a tag for my ECV. I was the first person boarded and my DH boarded with me. I took my key with me, but left the basket (empty) on.

I left the ECV at the door to the plane. I was able to walk to my seat as I could balance on the seats as I walked thru to our seats. My DH and I waited to be last off the plane as I would not have been able to stand in line waiting to get off while people stopped to retrieve luggage from overhead.

I hopped on my ECV and we went to baggage claim. My DH retrieved our luggage and then we took the train to the SFO rental car facility. It was not a quick jaunt and required multiple elevators, but it was much easier with my ECV. My DH trying to keep all the luggage and my walker on a cart was the hardest part.

As I'd made the travel arrangements the car reservation was in my name so I had to be present to pick it up. Next time I would make the reservation in my DH's name so he could go get the car while I waited with the luggage. Live and learn.

We had an intermediate size car. It was a tight fit with luggage for two, an ECV and my walker. I've used a rental ECV that broke down in pieces as does my personal one - in a small compact car. But it was just me and the ECV pieces - no luggage.

On our return DH dropped me and the luggage off and then returned the car without me. Much easier. We took the luggage inside to be checked. I had to have assistance with the self check in so I did not have to pay to check the walker. A United rep was right there and extremely helpful.

Again security was a delay. I was quickly sent to the front of the line, but probably waited 10-15 minutes for others to be manually screened before my turn. It was so easy to get to the gate with my ECV. Again I was boarded first with my DH. We got off last, retrieved the ECV, went to baggage claim, and then I waited with the luggage while DH retrieved the car.

I would not hesitate to do this again. Maybe even by myself to go to Disney. Magical Express and not having to retrieve my luggage would make it even easier.

I am so glad that I purchased my own ECV. It was approximately $600 new on Amazon. I've already saved more than that on rentals.

I hope this helps somebody who is thinking about traveling with an ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter