My First ECV Trip to WDW

EM Lawrence

DIS Veteran
I recently got back from my first trip to Disney that included a scooter. Many thanks to the people here who helped me feel prepared for that experience. I thought I would do a sort of report on how it went in the hopes that it might help someone else.

First, I used Gold Mobility Scooters for the rental after hearing them recommended in this forum. Because this was my first time using an ECV, I wanted someone to give me an orientation on how to use it instead of just picking it up from bell services. Their customer service was excellent, I would not hesitate to use them again. But I may use Scooter Bug simply for the convenience of being able to pick up and drop off with bell services in the future. Gold Mobility met me exactly at the prearranged times at my resort, but it would have given us more flexibility on arrival and departure day to not be bound to a set pickup/drop off time.

I rented a Go Go Sport 3 wheel model. After using it for half a day at Epcot, I realized that its battery would not be sufficient for my needs, or at the very least the batter life would cause me unnecessary worry. I practiced good battery hygiene, but the indicator light was almost at the halfway point after roughly 2.5 hours of use. Epcot is a big park and we walked around a lot. I got pretty stressed out at the thought of getting stranded with a low battery and not being able to make it back to our room. So I reached out to Gold Mobility and they met me right away with the Pride Victory 10 three-wheel model. I was really happy with the switch! At most, the Pride Victory 10 lost two green lights after a long, full day in the parks. I would definitely choose it again for the long lasting battery. I originally chose the Go Go Sport so that we could disassemble it and put it in our car if we decided to drive to the parks. But since I upgraded to a larger model, we just used the busses and the monorail.

Overall, using the scooter was a positive experience, particularly since it was the only way that making this trip was possible at all. I feel like I got some stares, but nothing obnoxious. I am relatively young and don’t have any obviously visible reason to require a scooter, so I think it was just mild curiosity. Most people were very courteous and helpful. I did get a few anxious/annoyed looks one time when my group came up to a bus queue. I know we got loaded before people that waited longer, so I understand the frustration, and I felt bad about it. But I was obeying the bus driver who pulled me out of the line, and I did not want to make a big scene.

Speaking of which, All of the bus drivers were extremely friendly and helpful. I‘m not sure what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised by how courteous and accommodating they were. They were all willing to negotiate my scooter into the right position on the bus and unload it from the bus for me, which was a huge help! I had been worried about that beforehand, and did not realize that the drivers would do it for me. The first driver I encountered offered to load the scooter for me, and I gladly accepted. After that, I would always ask and the drivers were always happy to help. I think they actually preferred it. Or maybe they could just tell I was inexperienced and wanted to get it done quickly! :rotfl2:

After having to make use of handicapped ramps and automated doors, I have a huge question for those of you who travel solo or get around solo in an ECV. How do you handle getting your scooter into your hotel room by yourself?? I made a rookie mistake with mine and ended up running over one foot and ramming the other ankle with the scooter while trying to get it into our hotel room. I was standing, trying to hold the door open with my body weight and guide the scooter. It was extremely awkward!

After I ran over myself, I did not dare go off alone without my husband or a child with me to help open doors. Most stores and restaurants either had automated doors or employees nearby to help, so those were fine, but the hotel room door was always a problem. Are there hotel rooms that have automated opening doors to avoid this? I am genuinely curious!

Also how would you handle the rides that require you to transfer to a wheelchair to navigate the ride queue? My husband pushed me through the Pirates of the Caribbean line, but I was not expecting to have to transfer and I wondered how it would be handled if I was solo. Would I just wheel myself in the wheelchair? That might have been awkward for me with zero experience!!

I was very thankful that the crowds were light during our trip so that navigating in crowds was fairly easy, and I have a whole new respect for those of you that have to make it though thick crowds. Even with the crowds so low, I got cut off by people a couple of times and had to come to an abrupt stop. This happens when I’ve been on foot too, so its not unique to being on a scooter. But its so much easier to change your speed or direction on foot vs on a scooter.

Finally, the Boardwalk makes for a bumpy ride and so does all the texture on the walkways at Animal Kingdom! Ha ha! I was not expecting that!

Thanks again for all of the helpful information found here ahead of time. It really did help me to feel confident about my first vacation which required mobility assistance.

Thanks for a great trip report - it sounds like you learned a *LOT* about using a personal mobility device! 🙂

Just so you know (not trying to be a stinker, I promise!) you kind of got "pixie-dusted" by all of your bus drivers! Generally speaking, they are not supposed to actually park our devices, and if you use a scooter at WDW long enough, you will eventually run into the driver who will give you verbal cues only - so it's good to practice parking with your rental regardless!

I'm so glad to see that Gold took good care of you when you realized that the battery wasn't up to snuff on your original rental. It really is stressful to think about not being able to get through the whole day without topping up the battery.

And yes - Boardwalk and AK can be really bumpy, depending on the device you are using. Folks using Rollators and those tiny-wheeled transport chairs *really* have it rough. I would NEVER send someone with a knee-walker through AK, for example!

Yay for a successful trip! I hope you arrived home feeling like you had a real vacation, rested and ready to face the world! 🙂

After having to make use of handicapped ramps and automated doors, I have a huge question for those of you who travel solo or get around solo in an ECV. How do you handle getting your scooter into your hotel room by yourself?? I made a rookie mistake with mine and ended up running over one foot and ramming the other ankle with the scooter while trying to get it into our hotel room. I was standing, trying to hold the door open with my body weight and guide the scooter. It was extremely awkward!

After I ran over myself, I did not dare go off alone without my husband or a child with me to help open doors. Most stores and restaurants either had automated doors or employees nearby to help, so those were fine, but the hotel room door was always a problem. Are there hotel rooms that have automated opening doors to avoid this? I am genuinely curious!

Also how would you handle the rides that require you to transfer to a wheelchair to navigate the ride queue? My husband pushed me through the Pirates of the Caribbean line, but I was not expecting to have to transfer and I wondered how it would be handled if I was solo. Would I just wheel myself in the wheelchair? That might have been awkward for me with zero experience!!

I've traveled several times solo with my scooter Getting into my room isn't easy, but doable First, I always have a folding cane when I have my scooter When I reach my hotel room, I unfold my cane, then reach it to the door (which I've unlocked and opened a little by hand), then I drive VERY SLOWLY forward My cane pushes the door open slowly in front of my scooter And a few times, I've encountered people in the halls who've offered to help me As far as regular doors, people have been so incredibly nice i always have one or two people, maybe they're going elsewhere, but they see me and rush over to help me One time was so funny, but also so nice I was at an automated door, pushed the button, then someone rushed over and as the door was opening, they "held" the door until I got through, then let go At rides where a wheelchair transfer is necessary, I've been so grateful that a Disney CM has always jumped in and volunteered to push me through One time the CM gave me 3 anytime FP+s for being so cooperative and not minding that we had to go a different way ( I hope this is readable, my "period" button stopped cooperating today)

Overall, using the scooter was a positive experience, particularly since it was the only way that making this trip was possible at all. I feel like I got some stares, but nothing obnoxious. I am relatively young and don’t have any obviously visible reason to require a scooter, so I think it was just mild curiosity. Most people were very courteous and helpful.
Yay!! I’m so glad it went well for you! 🎉 I am in the same boat and definitely get plenty of looks- I just smile and nod 😀
How do you handle getting your scooter into your hotel room by yourself??
Great question! My personal chair has the ability to be disengaged & I can roll in it backwards pretty easily while holding the door with my back/body (my chair isn’t heavy). When I’m not doing as well and can’t seem to manage it- I will roll alongside of the door to unlock it, then close the door carefully so as to keep it from re-locking, then I slowly drive straight into the door, pushing it open with my foot until I can hold it with hand, and just let it close behind me.

I did purchase a doorstop that I take with me, but it’s a bit of a hassle (I don’t bend well, so it’s on a dog leash ... and that can feel like a bad fishing game sometimes 😂😂). I have also had a clever gadget called “wedge-it” in my Amazon shopping cart for over a year now, and before every trip I tell myself to buy it... but then I decide I can make do without it again. 🤪 The thing is only $12 and would save me a lot of trouble!!

As far as ride queues, I didn’t even know pirates required a transfer until this last visit. When I’ve ridden before, I’ve just driven all the way through! I don’t know if it’s bc no one saw me before, or if I was just with a kiddo & no adult... I’m not sure. 🤷🏻‍♀️ But a manual chair is NOT an option for me... so I’d probably just skip those queues (instead of begging CM’s for help 😉).
I got cut off by people a couple of times and had to come to an abrupt stop. This happens when I’ve been on foot too, so its not unique to being on a scooter. But its so much easier to change your speed or direction on foot vs on a scooter.
Much. Much harder in a scooter!! I’m generally a patient, courteous, non-confrontational kinda girl ... but the first time I took my new chair through the airport and a guy literally jumped right in front of me (mind you- I was in the herd coming off the MCO tram and we were all heading the same way!), kicked my footplate, hit my legs with his bag, forced me to come to an abrupt stop, and caused those right behind me to run into me... let’s just say I would not have gone out of my way to keep from busting his shins if he came back for round 2. :car:
Finally, the Boardwalk makes for a bumpy ride and so does all the texture on the walkways at Animal Kingdom! Ha ha! I was not expecting that!
Oh, so bumpy!! You just never think about that kind of thing until it you have to experience it. The Star Wars area and the Poly grounds are definitely the toughest places for me to roll on without hurting a lot more. In fact, if I’ve got an adult with me, I’ll ask them to push my chair a bit to give me breaks from the jarring bumps. Each park and most resorts I’ve been to have some wonderful/amazing theming that is very wheelchair unfriendly- but I do love how it adds to the charm!!

I think a combination of disengaging the chair and maybe using a wedge to hold the door open while slowly guiding the chair inside would work. Next time I’ll be better prepared!

i bought a wedge, but when i got to www, somehow i couldn't figure out how to make it hold open the door The door kept sliding closed

i bought a wedge, but when i got to www, somehow i couldn't figure out how to make it hold open the door The door kept sliding closed
I had the same problem using a wedge, maybe the rubber wedge just doesn't work as well on carpet? Sometimes I had to push it hard under the door while pulling the door toward me to keep the door from moving.

Since my last trip I bought the Wedge-It that @HappyDisneyWife mentioned. I'm hoping it will be easier to use since you can place it over one of the hinges.

I have used a Stoppy [ https://utrdecorating.com/products/stoppy also sold at a variety of retailors and Amazon] to wedge the door open -- either beneath the door like a doorstop or along the side of the door between the door and the wall [I got that idea after watching Bell Services do the same thing many times, using either a Stoppy or a traditional wedge, when bringing luggage into our room].

I have used a Stoppy [ https://utrdecorating.com/products/stoppy also sold at a variety of retailors and Amazon] to wedge the door open -- either beneath the door like a doorstop or along the side of the door between the door and the wall [I got that idea after watching Bell Services do the same thing many times, using either a Stoppy or a traditional wedge, when bringing luggage into our room].

I have had good luck with my Stoppy too; and I put mine on a long length of grosgrain ribbon (the dog leash is a *brilliant* idea!) so that even when it's in use, I can loop the ribbon over the door handle; if it happens to fall, I can still retrieve it easily that way.

Aren’t the Disney bus drivers awesome? I’ve never had a less than positive experience with one. I think part of the reason they’re generally happy to offer whatever assistance they can is that it makes the whole load/unload process go more smoothly and quickly. A lot of the people who use wheelchairs and other mobility devices at Walt Disney World are relatively inexperienced, and I imagine it could get frustrating to see people struggling all day!

Yeah, it had just never registered with me how many hills, ramps, and uneven pavements there were at WDW until I had to navigate on wheels.

Thanks for your thorough report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter