My first cruise!

Travis B

DIS Veteran
My partner and i will be taking our very first cruise this winter - 5 nights on the Independence, stopping at Cozumel and Costa Maya. The price was very good so we were able to book a balcony room, which I'm extremely happy about. My partner considers our hotels or cabins just for sleeping and showering, but I like the idea of open air ocean access right from our own private space. And if I'm feeling anti-social and don't want to be in public areas, I like to know I have somewhere to hang out that isn't essentially a walk-in closet. Anyway, enough rambling. (Can you tell I'm excited? :))

I have some newbie questions. I have been researching and I sort of know the answers, but I always appreciate feedback from my Dis peeps, and the Cruise Critic boards are pretty overwhelming.

My partner is graciously treating me to this cruise so I want to make sure he enjoys it. My nefarious secret plan is to get him hooked, and to book our next cruise while onboard. But ssshhhhh, I didn't tell you that. :)

1.) We will probably do some sort of specialty dining package. Is it imperative that I book now, or can it wait until we get on the ship and try out the MDR? How much we like or dislike the MDR food will influence which package we buy.

2.)Mytime vs. scheduled dining. During our booking I chose my time so we would have flexibility. What are the benefits of scheduled dining. We will be requesting a table for 2 - is that easier with one vs the other? Do I need to be requesting or reserving anything now, or can I wait until onboard?

3.) Dress code. Consensus seems to be that for the dining room the minimum required is long pants (even jeans), and a shirt that has no holes or tears. No shorts, swimsuits, cover-ups, thank tops. Am I getting that right? I know that smart casual seems to be the 'suggestion', and that perhaps shirt and tie, suit or tux would be the 'suggestion' for formal night. I also know opinions vary wildly on this. Would nice jeans, dress shoes and a nice, untucked button down shirt be acceptable on a regular MDR night? I want to be comfortable, but I don't want to stick out or seem disrespectful of the dress code. Probably overthinking it.

4.) For purchases, we use the sea card to charge to our room account, correct? Then we pay it with cash or put a CC# on the account? Is there just one account for the room, or could we each have our own in order to keep expenses separate?

5.) Do I need to reserve seats for any of the shows beforehand? I'm wondering specifically about Grease.

6.) And finally, does anyone have a suggestions for any particular ruins site or tour in either Costa Maya or Cozumel? This is my partner's one request of something he wants to do so I'd like to impress him.

Thanks for reading my novel of a post, and for any insight you can offer!

I have not yet sailed RCCL so I won't be much help but thought I would answer what I can :)

1.) We will probably do some sort of specialty dining package. Is it imperative that I book now, or can it wait until we get on the ship and try out the MDR? How much we like or dislike the MDR food will influence which package we buy.

Not sure

2.)Mytime vs. scheduled dining. During our booking I chose my time so we would have flexibility. What are the benefits of scheduled dining. We will be requesting a table for 2 - is that easier with one vs the other? Do I need to be requesting or reserving anything now, or can I wait until onboard?

I believe with scheduled dining you will have a place to sit right away. with my time, you have to make reservations OR just show up but like a land restaurant might need to wait to be seated. Don't know what is easier with table for 2.

3.) Dress code. Consensus seems to be that for the dining room the minimum required is long pants (even jeans), and a shirt that has no holes or tears. No shorts, swimsuits, cover-ups, thank tops. Am I getting that right? I know that smart casual seems to be the 'suggestion', and that perhaps shirt and tie, suit or tux would be the 'suggestion' for formal night. I also know opinions vary wildly on this. Would nice jeans, dress shoes and a nice, untucked button down shirt be acceptable on a regular MDR night? I want to be comfortable, but I don't want to stick out or seem disrespectful of the dress code. Probably overthinking it.

it's ok to overthink and overplan - that is what we are here for :D. I am not sure if shorts are not allowed or not, little kids could probably get away with that easier. but i think nice jeans, button down shirt would be acceptable on regular night. you could throw on a tie for "formal" night if you want but like you said, everyone varies on this - it is nice that you want to respect the dress code too

4.) For purchases, we use the sea card to charge to our room account, correct? Then we pay it with cash or put a CC# on the account? Is there just one account for the room, or could we each have our own in order to keep expenses separate?

yes the sea pass card charges items to room. i am not sure how royal handles payment but probably pay cash or credit card at the end of the cruise. you should be able to have separate accounts but again i am not sure how that works

5.) Do I need to reserve seats for any of the shows beforehand? I'm wondering specifically about Grease.

not sure

6.) And finally, does anyone have a suggestions for any particular ruins site or tour in either Costa Maya or Cozumel? This is my partner's one request of something he wants to do so I'd like to impress him.

I went to chacchochobben (spelling?) in costa maya and it was cool. i did ship sponsored tour bc I am paranoid

not sure how much this helped but I tried!!

My partner and i will be taking our very first cruise this winter - 5 nights on the Independence, stopping at Cozumel and Costa Maya. The price was very good so we were able to book a balcony room, which I'm extremely happy about. My partner considers our hotels or cabins just for sleeping and showering, but I like the idea of open air ocean access right from our own private space. And if I'm feeling anti-social and don't want to be in public areas, I like to know I have somewhere to hang out that isn't essentially a walk-in closet. Anyway, enough rambling. (Can you tell I'm excited? :))

I have some newbie questions. I have been researching and I sort of know the answers, but I always appreciate feedback from my Dis peeps, and the Cruise Critic boards are pretty overwhelming.

My partner is graciously treating me to this cruise so I want to make sure he enjoys it. My nefarious secret plan is to get him hooked, and to book our next cruise while onboard. But ssshhhhh, I didn't tell you that. :) If you're thinking of booking onboard sign up for an appointment in the book outside the Next Cruise office on the Royal Promenade. If you change your mind you can always cross your name out. Appointments fill up fast. On our last cruise I waited and by the time I went to sign up there weren't any appointments left for the entire cruise.

I'm not positive but I think you have to purchase the package before boarding. You can book dining reservations onboard but I don't think you can purchase the discount packages. I jave dined in specialty restaurants but I've never purchased a package. I am thinking of doing the BOGO 2 Night package.

The nice thing about a set dining time is you never have to wait for a table. There may occassionally be a wait with My Time Dining if you eat at peak times. We did MTD on our last cruise and only had t wait once. We showed up at 8pm on the second formal night and had a 45 minute wait. So for our upcoming cruise on IOS I made a reservation for formal night. The other nights we'll just wing it.

Don't worry about it. You'll see a wide range of clothing. Jeans a nice shirt will be fine. Even on formal nights you'll see everything from men in polo shirts to tuxes.

Yes you can either set up the account with a cc or set it up as a cash account. With a cash account you pay it at guest services with either cash or cc at the end of the cruise or when the balance gets up to a certain amount ( I think it may be $500). When you do online check in you should be able to use a different card for each of you.

No, IOS shows are first, first serve except for the ice show. I'm not sure how they're doing the ice show tickets right now. It used to be that on the first sea day they would have tickets available for the different and you went down and picked a day. But on my last IOS cruise they were doing ti by muster station, which I hated. Our showtime was not at a convenient time. But euther way you should be able to show up and wait on a standby line.

6.) And finally, does anyone have a suggestions for any particular ruins site or tour in either Costa Maya or Cozumel? This is my partner's one request of something he wants to do so I'd like to impress him. I've never done the ruins from a cruise. I did do Chichen Itza while staying in Cancun and loved it. But it is a really long boat/bus ride from Cozumel. If I were going to do it I would do it through the cruise line because of the distance. We had tablemates that did Tulum while in Cozumel, the recommended it highly.

Thanks for reading my novel of a post, and for any insight you can offer!

I answered as best I could in bold.

I answered as best I could in bold.

Thank you so much for the information!

I think I will keep my time dining - I would prefer the flexibility, and it sounds like you've had good luck getting in without waiting most of the time. I was also looking at the BOGO package, I think we may do that and then just pay per meal if we want more specialty meals. Good to know about the dress code situation as well, I'm definitely more at ease about it now.

If I may follow up:

-You mentioned making reservations for formal night - did you do that on the RCCL website?
-Should I go ahead and do online check-in now?
-I'm thinking about getting an appt. to look into re-booking on the last day, which is a sea day. Should I try and do it sooner in case we get onboard credit?

Thanks again for taking the time. :)

Thank you so much for the information!

I think I will keep my time dining - I would prefer the flexibility, and it sounds like you've had good luck getting in without waiting most of the time. I was also looking at the BOGO package, I think we may do that and then just pay per meal if we want more specialty meals. Good to know about the dress code situation as well, I'm definitely more at ease about it now.

If I may follow up:

-You mentioned making reservations for formal night - did you do that on the RCCL website?
-Should I go ahead and do online check-in now?
-I'm thinking about getting an appt. to look into re-booking on the last day, which is a sea day. Should I try and do it sooner in case we get onboard credit?

Thanks again for taking the time. :)

I forgot to mention. The BOGO package is only good for the first 2 nights of the cruise and formal night is on night 2.

Yes I did it online. I didn't want top wait until I was onboard and find all the prime times gone. You can always book it and change the time or cancel once onboard if plans change.

I would do online check in as soon as you can. Just to get it over with. I think it opens up 60 days before sail date and you have up until 3 days before the cruise.

That should be fine. Even if you have onboard credit it will be applied to charges you've already made. And you do get the choice of having the onboard credit applied to your current cruise or the one you're booking.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention. The BOGO package is only good for the first 2 nights of the cruise and formal night is on night 2.

Yes I did it online. I didn't want top wait until I was onboard and find all the prime times gone. You can always book it and change the time or cancel once onboard if plans change.

I would do online check in as soon as you can. Just to get it over with. I think it opens up 60 days before sail date and you have up until 3 days before the cruise.

That should be fine. Even if you have onboard credit it will be applied to charges you've already made. And you do get the choice of having the onboard credit applied to your current cruise or the one you're booking.

You're a wealth of info! Thanks again. I'm right around 60 days right now so I'm going to head to RCCL's site and peek around. :)

Sounds like you have received some good answers, but here is my input as well.

If you can get reservations for the Chef's table, it is by far the best dining experience onboard and costs about 1/4 what a comparable experience would on land.

We always do My Time and love the flexibility. If you arrive within 30 min of opening there is never a wait. Reservations work great too if you want to schedule a certain time, but are not usually needed for a party of 2.

Don't worry about dress, everything you have planned sounds perfect. We WAY over packed for our first few cruises, and that's okay too. Now we are down to a single carry-on DH and I share for caribbean cruises under a week. Just relax, and have a blast.

We have done several different Mayan tours. Chichen Itza is the best site, but not worth the 3 1/2 hour drive each way! Tulum is good at 2 hrs each way from Cozumel, but I would recommend Chacchoben only an hour from Costa Maya. There really is nothing else to do there, and Cozumel has lots of other fun stuff.

Final tip, don't be afraid to ask for anything onboard. Cabin stewards, wait staff, guest relations...they will all go out of their way to make sure you are happy. So if you encounter any issues or have a special request, large or small, speak up!

Sounds like you have received some good answers, but here is my input as well.

If you can get reservations for the Chef's table, it is by far the best dining experience onboard and costs about 1/4 what a comparable experience would on land.

We always do My Time and love the flexibility. If you arrive within 30 min of opening there is never a wait. Reservations work great too if you want to schedule a certain time, but are not usually needed for a party of 2.

Don't worry about dress, everything you have planned sounds perfect. We WAY over packed for our first few cruises, and that's okay too. Now we are down to a single carry-on DH and I share for caribbean cruises under a week. Just relax, and have a blast.

We have done several different Mayan tours. Chichen Itza is the best site, but not worth the 3 1/2 hour drive each way! Tulum is good at 2 hrs each way from Cozumel, but I would recommend Chacchoben only an hour from Costa Maya. There really is nothing else to do there, and Cozumel has lots of other fun stuff.

Final tip, don't be afraid to ask for anything onboard. Cabin stewards, wait staff, guest relations...they will all go out of their way to make sure you are happy. So if you encounter any issues or have a special request, large or small, speak up!

Thank you for the tips! I will look into Chaccoben. I was a little gobsmacked when I looked at the Chichen Itza itinerary in detail and saw the 6 hours of travel time. Tulum is not as bad travel-wise, like you said, but if Chaccoben is comparable I'd take it over Tulum just to spend less port time on a bus. Maybe we'll do the Chaccoben excursion and just walk around and explore in Cozumel.

I'm glad to hear that I don't need to worry too much about dress or dinner reservations. I'm so used to Disney planning (and am an over-planner by nature) that I tend to project that level of intensity onto any trip we take. Even though I booked this cruise for a relaxing vacation, I'm still stressing myself out over it. :)

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter