My Elsa and Anna Cakes

pharmama

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to share my Elsa and Anna doll cakes I made for my younger 2 DD's birthdays (turning 5 and 3). Was so pleased with how they came out :) I would definitely encourage others to try these- not that hard to make an impressive cake!

795CDB00-2681-438D-9B34-7B868BA6F59E_zpsaruxnxbj.jpg

8B54C22E-BE6C-49F3-A35C-486CDE99D0E5_zpsx6e9q0sg.jpg

AF6B8593-960D-496C-8C9A-71375E8FDFE4_zpsihy3r7di.jpg

14A239AD-FC43-428C-8A3A-22E958B31193_zpsk1i0zawr.jpg

I love it!!!! Please tell me how you made it and any tips you might have!!! This would be perfect for my DD 3rd birthday! She loves Queen Elsa!!!

Thanks all!

ForeverAlice-
I used a doll cake pan for the dress/cake portion. I bought this one but Wilton makes one as well. The one I bought is a bit larger and I think the dress shape is a little nicer. If you use the pan I bought, use 2 full cake mixes to fill it. It will take a VERY long time to bake, but be patient. It will get there eventually.

The other key piece is the dolls. The "Sparkle" line of dolls is perfect because the upper portion of their costume is molded/painted onto the dolls instead of fabric. Both Anna and Elsa still have fabric capes but you can put those on after the icing is dry. This way their upper bodies are already decorated and you can put the icing right up to the bottom of their bodices and it just washes right off. The problem is that these dolls (like all Frozen merchandise) are hard to come by. Amazon had Elsa in stock last night for $14.99 but they've sold out already and its back to scalpers-currently $45 on Amazon third party. For me, we happened to already have Elsa so I only had to buy Anna but I did end up paying a scalper $33 for her. Though looks like she's more like $60 at the moment on Amazon. Cheaper on ebay I think. Grrr.... Anyway, here are links to the exact dolls on Amazon.
Elsa
Anna

Once the cake was done, I did have to hollow out the center a bit, then removed the fabric skirts from the dolls and wrapped their lower legs in plastic wrap and stuck them in the cake. I then also wrapped the upper bodies in foil to keep icing out of their hair etc while I worked.

From there, I just made up some buttercream and colored it appropriately for each skirt (using Wilton and Duff gel colors). For Anna, more colored icing for the decorations (though I admit I bought pre colored Wilton stuff for most of that). For Elsa, I used the Pearl Wilton Color spray to give a nice sheen to her skirt- this was definitely a worthwhile touch. I also used some of their clear cake sparkles around the lower edge of her skirt then made a few swirls with the edible pearl decorations. Elsa was definitely easier than piping on all the details on Anna!

Once its time to cut the cake, just lift the dolls out of the center, clean them up and hand them over to the birthday girl!

Awesome job on the cakes!

By the way if you ever want another use for the cake pan I remember my mom doing not only the doll cakes for us as children but also she used the same cake covered in green frosting and coconut to make an over the hill cake for my dad one year.

Too funny! Will keep the 'over the hill' cake in mind :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thank you so much for the information!!! I am going to do this for my dds bday this fall!!!! :thumbsup2

Those cakes are stunning! Your DD's will remember these for years!!!

Love these!! Might have to do this for DD's birthday next year.

I have the wilton pan. I like it but it's a little short for a real doll. I ended up backing a round cake and the skirt cake for my god daughters princess birthday party one year.

You can also use the pan for a boys volcano cake.

I am so happy I found this post. DD has been begging for an Elsa cake. I fact she refuses to play with her Elsa doll so we can use it..
So the pan you used was tall enough without adding another layer of cake?
Do you remember how long you had to cook the cake?
Thanks

I am so happy I found this post. DD has been begging for an Elsa cake. I fact she refuses to play with her Elsa doll so we can use it.. So the pan you used was tall enough without adding another layer of cake? Do you remember how long you had to cook the cake? Thanks

Sorry for the slow reply!

Yes, the pan I used did not require additional cake underneath. The cake doesn't come all the way up to the waist, but that's ok because you want some space to shape the icing up for a smooth transition anyway.

I can't remember exactly how long they took to cook but it was over an hour. Just keep checking with a wooden skewer :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks.
I did a practice run yesterday. It was chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.
Turned out great.
Next I am going to work on getting the frosting color just right.

Thanks.
I did a practice run yesterday. It was chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.
Turned out great.
Next I am going to work on getting the frosting color just right.

I used Duff Gel Coloring in Teal for Elsa. It seemed a little bright but once I sprayed the Wilton Pearl spray over the top it was PERFECT. The Pearl spray added just the right extra sheen and subtle sparkle too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!