~MY~ Disney's Finding Nemo HOMESCHOOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a message board.. I'm sure the posts were written quickly .

Furthermore, the quotations you placed around "teachers" is rude. Homeschool parents aren't pretending to be teaching their children- they are teaching their children.
Frankly, I can't tell you how many public school teachers also have this problem, so it isn't specific to homeschooling (and I notice it on this board whenever threads about teaching come up). Instead of pointing out their mistakes (which would be rude and off-topic), I bite my tongue.
I remember noticing my teachers' mistakes while I was in high school, and I was in one of the state's best districts :eek: Talk about frustrating!

lOL, the teachers get rabid when you point out their obvious mistakes!:rotfl:

I have to say that BOTH of Tink-aholics posts were very RUDE. Do public school teachers always have to make a point of finding mistakes or making little jabs to homeschooling families. And if you are so threatened by hsing, why not just come out and say you are against it. Little remarks like the one about the desk facing the wall are very obvious. And the comment about the spelling errors and such was not given in a 'constuctive criticism' way--just another jab at the OP. At least homeschoolers have the respect for others to not continually voice opinions about public schools---so why are we in turn not respected enough?

I was direct, but I genuinely didn't mean to offend. I know that most postings are casual and people don't have the time nor the inclination to proofread what they write -- even if they do know the proper rules. I also didn't even realize that the poster may be someone other than those teaching the children.

My personal opinion is that teaching at home should be an important and integral part of the overall educational experience and not exclusive of formal education from a professional. Schools are usually set up so that if there are gaps in knowledge in one educator, the next one will know the correct answer. Many homeschooled children are not given any other influence, so that gaps in the teacher's knowledge become gaps in the student's knowledge as well. But, year after year, more homeschooled kids end up in the National Spelling Bee than not; they must be doing something right!

Many teachers do get a little touchy when someone attempts to take a stab at what they themselves have trained a long time to achieve. Just as I would never consider putting my child's braces on for him or even think about taking out his tonsils, I know that most educational professionals study very hard to learn their particular field and should be highly knowledgeable. In my state, we have to prove our competency regularly. Obviously, there are fewer standards for homeschool teachers. If we seem upset by homeschool, this is often the reason why. While I do not agree with exclusive education at home, I will fight for anyone's right to have that choice.

A child's ability to communicate correctly will serve him/her well for the rest of that child's life, so I do think it is important. That was my only intent with my post. Sorry if the OP (or anyone else) took offense.

Thanks Tink-aholic. I appreciate that:flower3: I see your point and I can appreciate that. Thanks for clearing that up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter