My character meal reviews

King Dominic

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a week at DW and had a blast! Here are my thoughts on the character meals we did.

Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno(Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, Ariel, Prince Eric)- B+

Tough to get but worth it. Flynn Rider was definitely the surprise of this meal. He was great! Very animated and into the meet and greet, definitely the best of this bunch. Rapunzel was good, not great. Ariel was ok, but didn’t seem overly interested. Prince Eric just went through the motions. Our adult food was good, we got the pancakes with the caramel-apple syrup but my daughter’s Ariel/Flounder waffles were a little overdone. All in all a good experience and I’d definitely do it again on an Epcot day.

Cinderella’s Royal Table Dinner(Cinderella meet beforehand, Snow White/Ariel/Aurora/Jasmine during dinner)- C+

Our reservation was for 7:10 and didn’t even get to go in until about 7:25. Had to wait about 15 minutes to see Cinderella and that was a quick signing and a few pics. Waited another 5 minutes or so afterwards before we were seated. Food was just ok and the princesses(outside of Snow White)all seemed to be hurrying through. Snow White was great though. Our server, Gustavo, made this a C+ instead of a C- or even a D. It’s super expensive, we used dining credits but it’s not worth 2. I’m glad we did it because of the ambiance and all but I wouldn’t do it again.

Akershus Royal Hall Breakfast(Belle beforehand, Snow White/Aurora/Ariel/Cinderella throughout breakfast)- A-

Had a PPO breakfast here and were seated right on time. Great buffet with AYCTE fruit, pastries and cured meats and cheeses before the family style plate is brought out. Belle was nice beforehand but was definitely trying to keep the line moving(which is understandable). Ariel, again, was lackluster. Snow White, again, was GREAT! Aurora was just ok. Cinderella was more personable than the one at her own meal(CRT). Food was great, 3/4 princesses were good, princess processional was neat too. If Ariel was better, this would have been an A+. I’d say this is the best of the 3 princess character meals.

Disney Jr. Play and Dine at Hollywood and Vine(Doc McStuffins/Handy Manny/Jake/Sofia the First)-B+

Really good buffet breakfast with good character interaction. My DD7 has pretty much outgrown the Disney Jr. phase but still loved this. Handy Manny was her favorite show until she was about 5 and every once in awhile we’ll still catch her watching the shows we have saved on the DVR. Really expensive if you’re paying out of pocket but great value on the dining plan. Only reason I gave it a B+ instead of an A or even A+ is because of price.

Minnie’s Holiday Dine at Hollywood and Vine(Santa Goofy beforehand, Mickey/Minnie/Donald/Daisy throughout the meal)-B+

Again, a really good buffet spread, this time at dinner. We ate here twice in a day and it was 2 totally different experiences which was great. All of the characters were great and the food was good too. Same as breakfast, the only reason this wasn’t an A or A+ was because of the price even though we got another great value on the dining plan.

Best Friends Breakfast at ‘Ohana(Stitch beforehand, Lilo/Mickey/Minnie/Pluto)-A+

Great breakfast all-around!!! Food was awesome! Characters all spent a good deal of time with you and the parade around the restaurant was fun for the kids! Servers were all very friendly as well! Nothing negative about this whatsoever! I’ll do this every time!!!

Thanks for sharing! We are planning akershus breakfast on our next trip. Glad to hear this food is good

@King Dominic Is Minnie being at Ohana something new? When researching character meals, I've always seen listed and in pictures just Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto.

@King Dominic Is Minnie being at Ohana something new? When researching character meals, I've always seen listed and in pictures just Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto.
Was wondering that too. Perhaps they added Minnie for inside the restaurant since poor Stitch is stuck outside being greeter/maitre'd/host/line supervisor. Should stick Mickey out there so Stitch can entertain guests inside the restaurant, especially since you can catch Mickey in a billion places but this is the only usual place to find Stitch (with the exception of the on again/off again M&G at his defunct Great Escape attraction).....

Thanks for your review of the Bon Voyage, its one of our new restaurants for next June (we try a couple of new ones each year we go).

Not sure, it was our first time there. I didn't know she was there either. We had done Minnie's holiday dine the night before and the girls were comparing the signatures, lol

So glad to hear! We’re doing dinner at H&V and dinner at Akershus next week, & i’m hoping we’ll have a great of a time as you did!

Was wondering that too. Perhaps they added Minnie for inside the restaurant since poor Stitch is stuck outside being greeter/maitre'd/host/line supervisor. Should stick Mickey out there so Stitch can entertain guests inside the restaurant, especially since you can catch Mickey in a billion places but this is the only usual place to find Stitch (with the exception of the on again/off again M&G at his defunct Great Escape attraction).....

We went to Ohanas for breakfast last week and Stitch was in the restaurant, not outside. Not sure if this was a one time thing but i was pleasantry surprised to see him roaming the restaurant with all the other characters.

We went to Ohanas for breakfast last week and Stitch was in the restaurant, not outside. Not sure if this was a one time thing but i was pleasantry surprised to see him roaming the restaurant with all the other characters.

Oh, that is good news! I'm still on the fence whether to keep our Ohana reservation or not. Thanks for the update!

Thank you for sharing your reviews on these! We are thinking about doing the Akershus Breakfast when we go. I know my daughters will love the princesses, but was curious to here if the food was decent for everyone else going. Even though we would take them either way because we know the kids would love this, it is always nice to know the food isn't bad either :)

Thank you for sharing your reviews on these! We are thinking about doing the Akershus Breakfast when we go. I know my daughters will love the princesses, but was curious to here if the food was decent for everyone else going. Even though we would take them either way because we know the kids would love this, it is always nice to know the food isn't bad either :)
This was a breakfast or bust restaurant for us. We saw the lunch/dinner menu and knew it wasn’t for us.

If at all possible, get a PPO breakfast and you can eat and get on the Frozen ride quickly without having to use a FP for it. Which is great since it’s a tier 1 ride and you can only get 1 of them. Doing it this way allows you to get 2 of them

Oh, that is good news! I'm still on the fence whether to keep our Ohana reservation or not. Thanks for the update!

agree with KD - keep the O'hana breakfast reservation. We had such a wonderful server, great table and the character interactions were great! It was the first time we saw Lilo and Stitch - and they spent a good amount of time with my kids. My DS, 3 had a little stuffed Stitch doll, which Lilo took in her arms (playing of course) and ran away with. Naturally my little guy followed her and they walked back through the restaurant hand in hand. They loved the parade as well. Mickey and Pluto were also there - we did not see Minnie though. My kids LOVED the stitch waffles and we did have a few special requests ( a side order of bacon for my DD and a cup with lid for my son who seems to spill everything) and they were happily met. I would not hesitate return for breakfast.

If you are in or around the Boardwalk area - I would also recommend the Bon Voyage breakfast. Again, we had a lovely server - and Flynn Rider was a hoot! My DD is very shy around men she does not know, so she was not fond of the idea of Flynn Rider coming to our table, truth be told. By the end of Flynn's visit, she was talking, laughing and high fiving Flynn - and said "Mom, don't forget to take my picture with Flynn!" I couldn't believe it. Eric, not so much, but maybe that is the way his character is supposed to be presented? Of course my daughter loved the princesses - Ariel seemed to interact much more with her than Rapunzel.

Thanks for the reviews King D.

I was wondering how early your PPO for Akershus was, and if this is a common thing for regular hours.

I don't have access to ADRs yet, but will soon, and this seems like a great option for us.

Thank you! I have been on the fence on whether to book Ohana breakfast. My kids are getting older and they aren't very interested in the character meals anymore. But I love Stitch! I think I will book it for sure!

Thanks for the reviews King D.

I was wondering how early your PPO for Akershus was, and if this is a common thing for regular hours.

I don't have access to ADRs yet, but will soon, and this seems like a great option for us.
Our ADR was for 8:20 but we got there right around 8 and were seated right away. Without going back and looking, I don’t know if I mentioned to use the entrance at the world showcase instead of the main gate. We took a Lyft to the boardwalk and then walked over that way. Little bit of a walk but not too bad. We had perfect weather and it was a nice walk

Nice.
Thanks for the reply.
I never even considered using Lyft. Great option.
Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter