My Chapter One: A First-Timer's RunDisney Journey & Princess 5K Training Journal

princessbee

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!
share.jpg

The above quotation came from someone's comment on someone's trip report somewhere on this board and it's stuck with me a lot the past few days--especially any time I start running and remember that in the grand scheme of things I'm just a teeny tiny baby runner and I can't compare myself to all the old wizened elder runners who have been doing it for years. (You know, spiritually old and wizened. Full of wisdom and tips I'd have to dig through Pinterest for 800 years to learn.) (Yesterday, I found out through one of these old and wizened runners, who is literally younger than me, that you can change your shoes' lacing patterns to address specific foot issues. IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. :worship:)

Anyway, my name is Brittney and I'm here because I've been reading 10000 trip reports and training journals and race-specific threads for the past week and I'm SO FIRED UP! Do you guys know how inspiring y'all are? Well, when I can understand everything you're talking about. The first time I read about people eating "gels" during a race it honestly sounded like some kind of futuristic meal-in-a-pill invention that I'd never heard of. :laughing: But I'm slowly learning... all part of the Becoming a Runner process, I guess. (Not that I'd call myself a runner yet. Not by a long shot.) And writing these training reports seem like a really cool way to be accountable and build some kind of community, and God knows I'm going to need a lot of support! I'm 26, married to a most excellent lady by the name of Rebecca, and I'm an elementary special education teacher in Georgia. My favorite things to do are read, hike, read, plan expensive deluxe-resort-level Disney trips that are probably never going to happen, read, and play with my currently ELEVEN pets. (Two mice, which are technically classroom pets, two dogs, two cats, and five brand new less-than-a-week-old kittens!)

enchantedrock_zpslskw6n8r.jpg

So many of you post such great pictures of yourselves in these introductory posts... and it's not that I can't find any good ones of myself, I just can't find any THEMATIC good ones of myself. I haven't been to Disney in over five years, and my main form of exercise for the past several years has been hiking--which I usually do with my dog, who isn't the greatest with a camera. Listen, I've tried. :PAnd then all my other pictures are with other people, and I want to protect their privacy. So I present a picture from five years ago--oh my goodness, I can't believe it's been that long--when I was a Girl Scout counselor and accompanied 30 teenage girls to a caving/rockclimbing/kayaking trip in Texas. The picture was taken of me right after crawling through the cave system at Enchanted Rock. Did you know bat poop stains? A LOT? :laundy:

I've been training with Couch 2 5K, although because my main exercise is hiking and gentle yoga, I'm not quite fit enough yet to do the whole 1:00 run/1:30 walk intervals, and I'm just now moving to 1:30 run/3:30 walk from a 1:4 ratio... it works for me! But it can be frustrating to feel like my progress is so slow. My intention with this journal is to vent anything I need to training- and WISH journey-wise, and to post my progress as often as possible! And probably any other kind of Disney trip planning ephemera.

2667e593-ec64-4707-8f18-76069e5f96a2.jpg

As of right now, I'm planning on one other race before the Princess 5K, although I'm willing to do more if I find something interesting! It'll be the Run Like Hell 5K on October 30 at one of my favorite places in Atlanta, the Oakland Cemetery! (Less creepy than it sounds... seriously, it's beautiful and full of history! Check it out if you're ever in town!) I'll be doing it with one of my best pals and we'll be wearing costumes... it sounds like a TON of fun, and the perfect race for my first time.

Today I took a 4 mile hike with some of my friends, their kids, and all of our dogs... as you can imagine, it was a very slow hike! But something about a midday hike in an Atlanta July really takes it out of you, and I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is my first day back at work after an amazing summer :scared1: so it's almost bedtime for me.

Welcome to the runDisney boards!! :yay:

11 pets?! Pics please!!!

How is Couch 2 5K going for you? That is the plan that I used when I first started running! I hope it works out for you! :)

I'M FIRED UP to follow along! The opening quote is perfect. We all started somewhere, and sometimes we're in the beginning, middle or end of our journey. But I find the people here to be accepting of all others, regardless of what stage in their running career they are in. Wishing you the best of luck and interested to see how training goes for you!

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your progress. A disney 5k was my first "carrot" to get me moving so I'm super excited for you as I remember how amazing it felt to run through a disney park finally!

And I learned something new about bat poop today, which I could not have predicted when I woke up this morning :)

I promise to respond to your replies as soon as I take a breath (pre-planning is no joke!) but I just wanted to share I did a 17 minute mile today! Back in June my average pace was about 23 minutes so while this is obviously no Olympic feat I'm very proud!! :jumping1:

I promise to respond to your replies as soon as I take a breath (pre-planning is no joke!) but I just wanted to share I did a 17 minute mile today! Back in June my average pace was about 23 minutes so while this is obviously no Olympic feat I'm very proud!! :jumping1:
I still remember watching the 2012 London Olympics while training and marveling at the speed of Olympic level runners running longer distances than me in a lot less time than I was. But I've learned some valuable lessons about myself from running that more than offset my incredible lack of speed. At the end of the day, what you get out of running can change your life for the better regardless of how fast or slow you run. Keep running and training for your race when it comes and you'll be fine.

Taking 6 minutes off your pace is a FEAT! If I took 6 min off my mile time right now I'd be dancing on the ceiling.

Keep up the good work.

PS I crack up every time I see your avatar...my favorite part of that movie!

Hi! :wave:

Joining in and can't wait to read about your journey. Congratulations on your pace improvement. That's wonderful progress!!

Deep breath. I'm back in the game, again! I got bronchitis in September and it threw me off for a good couple of weeks. And then those weeks turned into months... you know how it goes. You see up there how I had been running a 17 minute mile? Shortly after that I got all the way down to 16:23! But after months of only the lightest activity, I'm having to work my way down again. Two weeks ago I was at 18:34, then last week my fastest was 17:14, and yesterday I was down to 16:59! I have a 5K coming up in a little under a month--the Hot Chocolate 5K here in Atlanta--and my goal is to have an overall running time of less than 55 minutes. In October, I finished my first ever 5K in 1:04:35 so I think less than 55 minutes after only six or so weeks of training will work just fine.

My wife and I had our weekend at Disney in October. It was absolutely magical, obviously, and I completely turned her into a Disney fanatic. We realized, however, that two days at Disney was just too exhausting for us--getting there, trying to get at least half of our money's worth, and then turning around--it felt even less like vacation than Disney trips usually do! :wink: So we decided that although sacrificing that entrant fee was going to be rough, we won't be doing the Princess 5K in February. I'm pretty bummed about it BUT we did decide on taking a 7 day/6 night Disney trip later in the year so... not too bad! :cool1:

I've missed the runDisney community a lot, and I hope you're all doing well!

Welcome to the runDisney boards!! :yay:

11 pets?! Pics please!!!

How is Couch 2 5K going for you? That is the plan that I used when I first started running! I hope it works out for you! :)

@Ariel484 Since the summer, the kittens killed off the mice (VERY Lucifer in Cinderella) and the kittens all found loving homes, so we've downgraded from 11 to 4. But it's a very cute 4!

From right to left--Marcy (named after Marceline from Adventure Time), a 3yo black lab/golden retriever mix, who loves everyone; Jack, a 6yo shih tzu/corgi mixed who is kind of a monster, but also very cute; Lexa (named after Lexa from the 100... RIP!), our newest adoptee, who was the mother of the kittens; and Sammy, my 13yo tabby who never signed up for all these animals.

Also, Couch25K is awesome! I have the paid app and I find it super easy to use. My only difficulty is that I'm still having achilles heel issues so I rarely finish the full 30 minutes all the way through. I'm getting there though!

Edit: No idea why Lexa's is so small, but Photobucket won't load for me so I guess it stays that way!

Taking 6 minutes off your pace is a FEAT! If I took 6 min off my mile time right now I'd be dancing on the ceiling.

Keep up the good work.

PS I crack up every time I see your avatar...my favorite part of that movie!

See that picture of my dog Jack up there? We call him Gerald all the time for this reason... he's just so goofy!

I posted this over on the WISH board but today I ran/walked the Hot Chocolate 5K here in Atlanta. It was my first race of 2017 and the first one I've done since October, so I was pretty nervous. I've been running indoors a lot because I keep getting home after dark, and I'm much slower on a treadmill or track than on a trail or even on the sidewalk... no idea why. (Maybe because outside I can bring my dog with me and she's such a great cheerleader?) Anyway, I'd been hovering around a 16:30ish minute/mile pace and even though there was only a pacer for the 15K and not the 5K, I still wanted to try my hardest to be faithful to the 15 minute pace the race had set, but knew I might be a bit slower than that. I set myself an "easy" goal of finishing the race in 55 minutes, and a "hard" goal of 50 minutes. I surprised myself and exceeded both of those! I finished the race in 48:22, with a 15:34 minute/mile pace. Considering how I started in June barely able to finish a mile in 23 minutes, and even in November when I started running again I could finish MAYBE 1.75 miles with an 18 minute pace, this is HUGE progress for me. I'm so proud of myself! Here's a picture of me crossing the finish line--I THINK I was smiling on purpose at the camera, but all I remember from that point is dancing along to an Ariana Grande song (and, on the inside, really wanting a snack), so that could have been where my big grin is coming from. :)

06b924ef-602b-4376-8a2a-1f8160176462_zpsirbw32og.jpg

I've come so far and I have so far to go! My next race, since I can't do the Princess--I'm STILL sad about it--isn't until March, unless I come into some surprise money and I'm able to register for a February one. Until then, I'll be working my butt off to get down to my next goal: finishing a race in under 45 minutes, or a 14:30 min/mile pace!

Yaaaaay!congrats on crushing your goal. Hot chocolate is one of my fave races.
Proud of you!!!!

Amazing job!! That is such a great improvement! I love your finisher photo.

You're gonna crush your next goal in March, I just know it. Congratulations!!

Joining in here, though a bit late to the party...sorry!:oops: Congratulations on your awesome finish! I've learned a valuable lesson from you which I am now trying to apply to my own training in setting goals for myself. Thanks! Good luck in March, I have a feeling you are going to do well! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter