My Bruno Joey Lift and the Whill Ci

arminnie

<font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br
I said I would post a picture of my new lift in the van and here it is. I am sitting on the Whill EV that I borrowed for a day.

I currently have a budget ($600) ECV that I have used for almost 2 years. It's been great at Disney, but as my disability has progressed I wanted something that I could use other than just on smooth sidewalks. My Drive ECV has no suspension and small tires but it only weights 95 pounds.

My DH was lifting in and out of our older van (12 years old). I hated asking him to do that so sometimes did not use the scooter even when I really needed it. After a year of looking we bought a new Honda Odyssey and had the Bruno Joey lift installed. I did not want to install a lift in a van that old - plus we got a $1000 rebate from Honda since we bought a new vehicle.

My DH went on a vacation to West Texas with his brother and was gone for two weeks. I was able to go out on my own because I had the lift. I made multiple trips to the grocery store, lunch with friends, etc. I'll admit that it is much easier when I have my DH to deliver the ECV to me as I exit the van - but I have learned how to safely do it on my own (with the help of a small fold-able walker to get to the back of the van).

My DH and I split time between New Orleans and Central Arkansas. New Orleans sidewalks are horrid. My scooter cannot handle them. I have not been in my backyard in Arkansas for two years as my current scooter will not travel on the grass. So I have been looking to upgrade.

I found the Whill Ci EV (electric vehicle) that has been out for a few months. It looks more like a wheelchair, but is not rated as a wheelchair by the FDA. They do make a wheelchair the Whill Model M. The name Whill comes from "wheel" and the "will" do be mobile and active.

I am in love with the Whill Ci. I borrowed one for a day. It was SO easy to drive. I'd heard that power wheelchairs with a joystick were hard to master. This has a button that is more like a rolling mouseball. It was so easy to navigate. It literally took me about two minutes to master it.

I took it on a tour of the French Quarter in New Orleans which has been unavailable to me for two years. I could go over anything the sidewalks thru at me. It weights about 115 pounds - a little more than my current scooter at 95 pounds. It comes apart in 3 pieces which means that if I do travel by air with it we could rent a regular van - I would not have to rent a van with a lift and pay a fortune per day.

hnKvQ3p_bt-nJtLRMltv34LN4kDtbha58uUhueWvZafokoGMhAafc--tennQ13IsfIw_Oj5b7l934chWqJrvl068YstvSrJAaJ975qcbfOqepww-aTWfiyv58iQ0yhmFtW6VTntEzsFvh-Xreqp0D8rLElfkHNcnzhBT1LcRlyrdwGqxTfWwmmbagpA2Hk8xzDuwn3DK8AwMYdwWG3HyQDcPfjuEpIvGmiMt7g8yEzkuauUFMlQa9YyH12bQe2ngCuqdELJPRQloCHkL4v7lEgrtc0V6Lb820JFrehgmiKzMlJgjmpohSz-kLALqzgZSru0uyhd3MBissBg0qYK5snHWax-Bc28RlfLJyLlOXQLaaMPmo_dCIs6auNeTXlseItLCorL0TGNNS9a2-9SG7qXzsOtuzY5c0RwnEwjTuOE9k24y40nxTDLi0KSKvCxSg4_rrMjZ2D7nwpLHW1mu0eyF54d3_hxkJsVTce63EGm_rDOUszCe-Wxa_WPxmUgnFtnVmVDOrgqO-JC-oVShOSg2Im3GdggefuBHi20PX-m_wnTE6-Mw7vARpaeboOOR7gyKfmk_jYSosKVK-rDyuQ2hrHwm6RMTji2cA1molqgp5d3VWKMo8gBaXdBRHQ=w293-h220-no

Last edited:
If you have the photo in something like Google photos, you can put your computer mouse over the photo, right click, select copy image, go to Disboards forum and your post here and left click where you want the photo, then right click and chose the word paste. It should show.

Or if you have your photos on another online website, should be able to do the same thing. But not from your laptop photo section.

If you don't have any online photo site, yet go to www.Google.com like your going to search for something. Sign in or register and sign in if you have never done that with Google before.

After you are done, go back to the www.Google.com web page and in the top right corner left click on the little checkerboard icon.

Now you will see a whole bunch of other Google icons. Go to the one that looks like a colorful "pinwheel" called Google Photos.

If your photos are in your computer, go to the top right corner again where it says "Upload", and left click on it.

On my Window 7 screen, I look on the left side of the page and look down until I see word "PICTURES" and I right click on it and you will have to look for your photo.

You can now just double left click on it and it will now show up on your Google Photos.

Then you can start making albums for each vacation on both your laptop pictures and on your Google Photos webpage.

Then you can just copy any photo on google photos and paste it on the DISboards.

How is that for confusing instructions.

I had to teach myself this recently since I haven't been back on DISboards in years.

That is when I learned that all I had to do copy and paste a photo instead of using computer address or URL of the photo and then using the DISboards picture thing to put the URL address into it.

But forget that.

Just practice, and I apologize if this all sounds so confusing.

I am sure someone else will have a much better and easier explanation.

Oh...and I forgot to say that the Honda and Bruno are both excellent choices that I would have chosen for myself, too.
If you ever get another minivan or van, they can move the Bruno to another new car.

I have a Bruno too, actually! But I don't remember the model because it was changed to something else at the last minute!

I'm glad you like the Whill Ci. I am thinking of renting one for our Las Vegas trip but I was concerned about the steering being difficult. The feature that drew me was the ability for someone else to drive for you with their phone or bluetooth. When I need a nap, my DH or DS can just steer me back to the hotel! What really amazed me was the rental rates in Vegas...half of what is being charged in WDW. Thanks for the preview.....I guess I will be renting one of these beauties.

I have visited the Whill website; it looks amazing, however, they don't make a "3L" (Large Lovely Lady) version for my size personage...

I was wondering if you were able to use it down in the Quarter; I'm glad to hear it will handle the pavement down there! WDW should be a breeze! :)

I have visited the Whill website; it looks amazing, however, they don't make a "3L" (Large Lovely Lady) version for my size personage...

I was wondering if you were able to use it down in the Quarter; I'm glad to hear it will handle the pavement down there! WDW should be a breeze! :)

Hi, mamabunny. I'm sorry that you had to cut your vacation short because of a family emergency.

The Whill is too small for me, too.

I mentioned in another post, that I am in the process of buying a new folding electric wheelchair called the Fold and Go Wheelchair with an office in Orlando. I rented a heavy duty one in June 2018 for WDW. I noticed now that they have changed from renting day to day to renting for a month to own or rent per month and return.

The Heavy Duty Fold and Go Wheelchair has a weight capacity of 365 lbs., it is waterproof, it can drive on grass and gravel and uneven surfaces and water puddles. It folds up and only weighs 55 lbs. The two lithium+ion type batteries are built into the wheelchair frame and only weigh about 2-lbs each and only take about 5-hours to recharge both of them. They can be left in the wheelchair to travel on the airlines and approved by airlines per their website. They are also made in the USA instead of out of the country. I don't mind it being made out of the country because my mobility scooter works fine and is made in China. But the Fold and Go Wheelchair is repaired in Orlando instead of trying to find some mobility company that may or may not know how to fix or get parts.

I talk about it in this thread with photos.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/personal-ecv-purchase.3704962/

FNGo_HD-MAROON_UNFOLD-570x780.jpg

FNGo_HD-MAROON_FOLD-570x780.jpg

My research at the time showed the FOLD & GO Electric Wheelchair could have
Heavy-Duty FOLD & GO Electric Wheelchair (they have a regular one also).
Specifications:
•Driving Range: 16 Miles – Includes 2 Batteries
•BATTERY LOCATION (Us): Inside Our Tubular Steel Frame
•Battery Type: Lithium-Ion
•Heavy-Duty model comes with 2 Lithium-ion batteries (each battery weighs 2 lbs)
•Battery Dimensions: 20 inches by 3.5 inches x 2 inches
•Weight Capacity: 365 LBS
•Total Weight with Batteries: 55 LBS
•No Flat Solid Rubber Tires
•Outstanding Hill Climbing Range: 25° Slope or 46% Grade
•5-Speed Control Modes: 0.5 MPH, 1 MPH, 2 MPH, 3 MPH, 4 MPH
•Maximum Driving Speed: 4 MPH
•FOLD & GO Electric Wheelchair Weatherproofing System – Our Proprietary Design
•ALLOWED On Airplanes
•CAN DRIVE in the Rain
•CAN DRIVE over Wet Surfaces
•ZERO Wired Connectors – ARTHRITIS FRIENDLY
•Height Capacity: 6′ 4″
•WaterTight Rear Motor Wheels: 250 Watt x2 Brushless
•TSA & FAA Approved Lithium-ion Battery (Airplane Use)
•5-Hour Rapid Global Battery Charger: 100-240V 1.5A 50/60Hz (Compatible Worldwide)
•WaterTight Dynamic Drive 360 Degree Joystick Controller
•Joystick Quick-Release Connection for Enhanced Security & Travel Ease
•Super Tight Turning Radius: 31.5 inches
•Maximum Ground & Puddle Clearance: 5 inches (with Footrest Folded Up)
•Total Battery Charging Time: 7 hours
•Front to Back Length: 38 inches
•Unfolded Height: 37 inches
•Width: 24 inches
•Folded Height: 30 inches
•Folded Width: 13 inches
•Seat Width: 18 inches
•Seat Depth: 17 inches
•Armrest to Armrest: 19 inches
•Back Rest Height: 20 inches
•Floor to Seat Height: 19 inches
•Floor to Arm Rest Height: 28 inches
•Rear Wheel Dimensions: 12 inches by 2.5 inches
•Front Wheel Dimensions: 7 inches by 1.75 inches
•Brake Type: Electromagnetic
•Includes: Charger, Seat Belt, Storage Bag under the seat, and Mini Tool Kit for quick

Ray, your new chair looks great. It reminds me a whole lot of the one I have, which is a kdsmartchair (kdsmartchair.com). I have had a few complaints with mine however, but I'm wondering if my lithium ion batteries can be left in like yours can (on flights) as they are encased exactly the same way. The chairs look a lot alike. Mine is heavy duty as well, although with more information I would have gotten the standard chair, I got it because the tires were bigger and I thought it would be better on more difficult terrain like grass. I have had no issues with it doing things like that, although I don't go into crazy territory. My chair has served me very well at WDW though with my fatigue issues, my husband and I rarely have done full days. We do more like half days, into evenings -- maybe with a break. Anyway, both chairs look really wonderful. Both the Whill (which I have seen before and am impressed with!) and your Fold and Go. Good luck!

Mamabunny -- I hope you had a good time at the parks! I'm sorry to hear about the family emergency and coming back early. Thoughts and prayers for safe resolutions!

Take care,
Beth

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Ray, your new chair looks great. It reminds me a whole lot of the one I have, which is a kdsmartchair (kdsmartchair.com). I have had a few complaints with mine, however, but I'm wondering if my lithium-ion batteries can be left in like yours can (on flights) as they are encased exactly the same way. The chairs look a lot alike. Mine is heavy duty as well, although with more information I would have gotten the standard chair, I got it because the tires were bigger and I thought it would be better on more difficult terrain like grass. I have had no issues with it doing things like that, although I don't go into crazy territory. My chair has served me very well at WDW though, with my fatigue issues, my husband and I rarely have done full days. We do more like half days, into evenings -- maybe with a break. Anyway, both chairs look really wonderful. Both the Whill (which I have seen before and am impressed with!) and your Fold and Go. Good luck!

Mamabunny -- I hope you had a good time at the parks! I'm sorry to hear about the family emergency and coming back early. Thoughts and prayers for safe resolutions!

Take care,
Beth

Hi, Beth. I looked at the Heavy Duty KD Smart Chair Power Wheelchair several years ago when Costco in my area used to sell them online. Costco doesn't sell them anymore and I wasn't ready to buy one at the time because I was still working and researching.

KD-Smart-Chair-Heavy-Duty-model-folding-power-wheelchair.jpg

The Heavy Duty KD Smart Chair Power Wheelchair weight capacity is 330 pounds, but the incline up a hill limit was only 15-degree slope (8.48 degrees) versus a Hill Climbing Range: 25° Slope or 46% Grade.

The Fold and Go Wheelchair has a wider seat at 19 inches versus 17.25 inches and a weight capacity of 365 pounds.

I also like that the Fold and Go Wheelchair uses Tubular Steel, with a mixture of Chromium, and Nickel which is a lot stronger than aluminum and plastic.

I am glad that I just waited to buy this one. But I am sure in a few years something even more extraordinary will be invented and come on the market.

I don't know why, but I think that I might want to carry the two batteries onboard with me instead of stowing them, but even though they are lightweight, they are so long to fit in my backpack.

I don't know if your batteries are approved. The KD Smart Chair Power Wheelchair website doesn't say so.

tCDphk4jYQFLsmls6hBg9vcPfY0zPIudYp6cPu8XycIhZZeRevAYkVE8HyMjBLhdypiQQdCstv-8_0Tu6UJP-P5-p4fztRPIjjlH45PsnllkgNHzcXzTYxZYlu5TogFzPkOVHRDH1dcuGGPT5q1uCXiLg96jfnXx5joG_A9uZ642BveTZ579Z25fLdzaAtV5MCbZUbQzW7bVigfbKsVN1tYTZeFgIOBGjN1ehIfe26f8ftn8H9ECHWXwC6xOAMHvD-A08FRw3z_teDjouF7355DgpRY6aBWapOCx-RWnzcZEyqcDHUxzKTYlrEv7Fi_JRqS2OKpsK1ShBovDjo-CMpHDkvQdG8qHn39Qi2Htie0EKWfjT6ZZlj7SqVXxdAEtv6S9UIZMxLcKlxeRF4qB1FcaDbu32FFCGqLnVVdrmZ7wwTXzC4RAYoeYeaJT4eO1OQs1LCfB1GzAdKKqSWaOR-mbCkUYsHCMCHAGBr81ypDFuMxFhT1iDVf2_u6fRj7uX7ZN7SghcgLKvxwHOCnDxbDzVnZp6-239k1uxjBaX6FP7dspQUzkwV6fpD8wIHM4UTUuw73Ta_3rAWy_DSU7ELdyKwu3a258LcQzJNKC1irQCPXXwzCwd-xp6F_Tcpg=w400-h550-no

Certificate for Airplane Travel for The Fold and Go Wheelchair to show at airport.

https://www.foldandgowheelchairs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/MSDS_TravelDoc.pdf

Batteries Carried by Airline Passengers Frequently Asked Questions link below:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

IATA International Regulations Batteries Carried by Airline Passengers Frequently Asked Questions link below:

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

Last edited:
I think I now have the picture available. Not sure what I did wrong, but MANY THANKS to Ray Sharpton for giving me the Google instructions. I already had a Google account so it just took a few minutes to upload it, copy, and paste it.

I had uploaded it to the Dis Photo Gallery which I'd done last year with Hurricane Irma photos from Saratoga Springs. But the Google photo thing is much easier so that's what I'll do from now on.

Again - thanks Ray. You are so helpful. I remember your posts from when you were here before. Glad you came back.

I'm glad you like the Whill Ci. I am thinking of renting one for our Las Vegas trip but I was concerned about the steering being difficult. The feature that drew me was the ability for someone else to drive for you with their phone or bluetooth. When I need a nap, my DH or DS can just steer me back to the hotel! What really amazed me was the rental rates in Vegas...half of what is being charged in WDW. Thanks for the preview.....I guess I will be renting one of these beauties.
I did not find it hard to steer at all. Maybe because the controller is more like a mouse than a joystick? I practiced in the hotel lobby where I met the Whill rep. I was shocked when he told me I could keep it overnight. One piece of advice - turn it off if you are going to stand up even for just a minute - it would be too easy to hit the controller while exiting the chair or getting seated.

Beth - I have enjoyed the Bruno lift. This "replaced" my trip to WDW for Food and Wine this fall. And then I rented out my DVC points to help provide the funds for the lift and the Whill. I'd already cancelled a Christmas trip as I decided to stay home for all of December this year.

Mamabunny - so sorry you had to cut your trip short. Hope all has been resolved. We missed you while you were gone.

Ray -- thank you for the update and telling about when you looked at the Kdsmartchair. I actually have a story about flying with it. When my husband and I flew to Orlando on our first trip to WDW last year, we flew with my kdsmartchair. At the time the kdsmartchair website said that the chair could fly, but to check with your airline. When I bought my southwest tickets online they only asked whether they were wet or dry cell batteries. I didn't know at that time (I was very unfamiliar with the terms, unfortunately!) and somehow marked "wet" for our trip there, and "dry" for our trip back! When we got to the airport they started asking about the batteries and we ended up EACH having to carry ONE on in our backpacks because together they were above the allowable limit for carrying on -- but with both of us carrying one they fortunately allowed it. This made us ALMOST miss our flight, but we ended up in the back of the plane each with our own row and they let me have my large service dog "ground" me by laying across my lap the whole way! (It was my best plane trip ever!) Anyway, when we flew back, no one even said anything about the batteries and they actually flew without us even having to stow them.

I now know more about the lithium ion requirements and am afraid if i were to have to fly alone, I would have trouble. It's one of the major downsides I see of my chair. I have also had CONSIDERABLE trouble with the customer service of kdsmartchair. Otherwise though, it has served my needs well, and I do appreciate it for getting me around day to day. I love about your new chair that it has such a great climbing slope! Fortunately, I've been okay with how mine does, as I live in a hilly area and I haven't had any problems. Thank you for your reviews!

Arminnie -- I'm glad you like your Bruno! I do too! Though I'm sorry you've missed going to WDW. I understand making sacrifices for necessary things like this! I will say, when I first got my Bruno, it really tired me out a lot (I have major fatigue issues) connecting my chair to the lift and getting it in and out of the car. But now, I'm doing much better with it, and I find it very useful! I'm so glad for you that you are getting the Whill. It really looks amazing!!

Cheers to you both!
Beth

Hi, mamabunny. I'm sorry that you had to cut your vacation short because of a family emergency.

The Whill is too small for me, too.

I mentioned in another post, that I am in the process of buying a new folding electric wheelchair called the Fold and Go Wheelchair with an office in Orlando. I rented a heavy duty one in June 2018 for WDW. I noticed now that they have changed from renting day to day to renting for a month to own or rent per month and return.

The Heavy Duty Fold and Go Wheelchair has a weight capacity of 365 lbs., it is waterproof, it can drive on grass and gravel and uneven surfaces and water puddles. It folds up and only weighs 55 lbs. The two lithium+ion type batteries are built into the wheelchair frame and only weigh about 2-lbs each and only take about 5-hours to recharge both of them. They can be left in the wheelchair to travel on the airlines and approved by airlines per their website. They are also made in the USA instead of out of the country. I don't mind it being made out of the country because my mobility scooter works fine and is made in China. But the Fold and Go Wheelchair is repaired in Orlando instead of trying to find some mobility company that may or may not know how to fix or get parts.

I talk about it in this thread with photos.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/personal-ecv-purchase.3704962/

FNGo_HD-MAROON_UNFOLD-570x780.jpg

FNGo_HD-MAROON_FOLD-570x780.jpg

My research at the time showed the FOLD & GO Electric Wheelchair could have
Heavy-Duty FOLD & GO Electric Wheelchair (they have a regular one also).
Specifications:
•Driving Range: 16 Miles – Includes 2 Batteries
•BATTERY LOCATION (Us): Inside Our Tubular Steel Frame
•Battery Type: Lithium-Ion
•Heavy-Duty model comes with 2 Lithium-ion batteries (each battery weighs 2 lbs)
•Battery Dimensions: 20 inches by 3.5 inches x 2 inches
•Weight Capacity: 365 LBS
•Total Weight with Batteries: 55 LBS
•Outstanding Hill Climbing Range: 25° Slope or 46% Grade
•5-Speed Control Modes: 0.5 MPH, 1 MPH, 2 MPH, 3 MPH, 4 MPH
•Maximum Driving Speed: 4 MPH
•FOLD & GO Electric Wheelchair Weatherproofing System – Our Proprietary Design
•ALLOWED On Airplanes
•CAN DRIVE in the Rain
•CAN DRIVE over Wet Surfaces
•ZERO Wired Connectors – ARTHRITIS FRIENDLY
•Height Capacity: 6′ 4″
•WaterTight Rear Motor Wheels: 250 Watt x2 Brushless
•TSA & FAA Approved Lithium-ion Battery (Airplane Use)
•5-Hour Rapid Global Battery Charger: 100-240V 1.5A 50/60Hz (Compatible Worldwide)
•WaterTight Dynamic Drive 360 Degree Joystick Controller
•Joystick Quick-Release Connection for Enhanced Security & Travel Ease
•Super Tight Turning Radius: 31.5 inches
•Maximum Ground & Puddle Clearance: 5 inches (with Footrest Folded Up)
•Total Battery Charging Time: 7 hours
•Front to Back Length: 38 inches
•Unfolded Height: 37 inches
•Width: 24 inches
•Folded Height: 30 inches
•Folded Width: 13 inches
•Seat Width: 18 inches
•Seat Depth: 17 inches
•Armrest to Armrest: 19 inches
•Back Rest Height: 20 inches
•Floor to Seat Height: 19 inches
•Floor to Arm Rest Height: 28 inches
•Rear Wheel Dimensions: 12 inches by 2.5 inches
•Front Wheel Dimensions: 7 inches by 1.75 inches
•Brake Type: Electromagnetic
•Includes: Charger, Seat Belt, Storage Bag under the seat, and Mini Tool Kit for quick

Thanks Ray - you really are wonderfully thorough! :) I'm keeping a list (for the future) of devices that might be a good "fit" for me, and I am definitely adding your chair to my list. It's good to know that there is a service option in the US, given that so many of these devices are manufactured overseas.

Thanks for the review.
Both ‘ecv’ like Model and the more wheelchair type model of Whill look very interesting.
They both look comfortable and easy to control for people who don’t have a lot of complex positioning needs.
I think I now have the picture available. Not sure what I did wrong, but MANY THANKS to Ray Sharpton for giving me the Google instructions. I already had a Google account so it just took a few minutes to upload it, copy, and paste it.

I had uploaded it to the Dis Photo Gallery which I'd done last year with Hurricane Irma photos from Saratoga Springs. But the Google photo thing is much easier so that's what I'll do from now on.

Again - thanks Ray. You are so helpful. I remember your posts from when you were here before. Glad you came back.

I did not find it hard to steer at all. Maybe because the controller is more like a mouse than a joystick? I practiced in the hotel lobby where I met the Whill rep. I was shocked when he told me I could keep it overnight. One piece of advice - turn it off if you are going to stand up even for just a minute - it would be too easy to hit the controller while exiting the chair or getting seated.

Beth - I have enjoyed the Bruno lift. This "replaced" my trip to WDW for Food and Wine this fall. And then I rented out my DVC points to help provide the funds for the lift and the Whill. I'd already cancelled a Christmas trip as I decided to stay home for all of December this year.

Mamabunny - so sorry you had to cut your trip short. Hope all has been resolved. We missed you while you were gone.
I would guess the bolded is why.

I have a lot of experience driving my daughter’s power wheelchairs by joystick and very limited experience driving an ECV.
I also have experience ‘driving’ a computer using a joystick and a trackball.
Even on the very same computer, using the same programs, the trackball is easier to control. I think a big part of the reason is that a joystick has more play and a tiny motion of the joystick makes a larger motion of the device.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter