My afternoon/evening in a wheelchair at Epcot

Try JCWHITNEY. Look in the motorcycle section. They have several colors. I try not to mow anyone down. Always walk off to the side and a bit behind. But like you said some people just don't think. The chair is going to roll forward a bit when I try to stop, laws of physics. Most of the time now, we just wait or take the long way. Much easier.:dance3:

there are times i use crutches simply to have some extra support when i walk. I think i will get forearm crutches for disney, so when i can walk, i will.
Since you are going to be renting from offsite, tell the people you will be renting from that you will have the crutches and they will be able to includes crutch-holder clips on the chair.
this thread is both wonderful and depressing. using a wheelchair right now would improve my quality of life dramatically (even just in the mall), but the social stigma keeps me from getting one.
Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Sadly, my family knows very little. they know i get sick easily, and that i hurt, but they refuse to admit that anything is wrong. i have had little luck with drs, because they always want to "see what happens," and ignore the current symptoms :mad:

actually i am debating getting a wheelchair through 100wheelchair.com. you can get a chair as good as any you would rent, for around $100-$130. This way I can customize my chair, and make it fit me better (cushions, etc). :woohoo:

i have sadly had some problems within the disabled community, because i am not "disabled enough." i can walk, although not far, well, or without pain. my life is limited by my physical health, but since i can stand i am not disabled.

if someone wants to read a really good story about living with chronic illness, check out butyoudontlooksick.com

i've used chairs before, and i managed not to run anyone over... but i agree, some people don't know how to behave around those in chairs.

i have sadly had some problems within the disabled community, because i am not "disabled enough." i can walk, although not far, well, or without pain. my life is limited by my physical health, but since i can stand i am not disabled.

If you are “disabled enough” to benefit from a wheelchair, you are “disabled enough” to use a chair. Unfortunately there are a lot of narrow minded people in the world, both wheelchair users and able-bodied, who will judge others by a made-up set of standards they have in their heads. If you spend your life trying to measure up to everyone, you will always fall short. Live your life the way you think is best, however that may be, and let everyone else think what they like.

Many happy thoughts :goodvibes and much fairydust pixiedust:!

Sadly, my family knows very little. they know i get sick easily, and that i hurt, but they refuse to admit that anything is wrong. i have had little luck with drs, because they always want to "see what happens," and ignore the current symptoms :mad: .

Sounds Familiar. My wife got sick often and ended up in the hospital several times. After finally getting to see an Endo. It was determined she had secondary Addison's. We now have that under control and I have injections for the critical times. Life is much better. :cheer2:

She has other porblems that cause the use of the wheelchair. But she can walk, Sometimes, it is a cane, others a walker or finally the chair. At Disney, she could walk some, but would be worn out within the hour and that would not make for an enjoyable day. On a good day. we use the chair to move around the parks. Then for the rides or sights, she gets up and walks. Sometimes she wants to walk and pushes the chair for support. :woohoo:

Many, Many people are disabled, but it is no obvious. Heart, skeletal, joints, illiness. So people are just naturally rude and crude. :headache:

I happened upon this thread while reading some other postings to prep for my next trip. Dad used an ECV on his last trip due to heart conditions and dystonia from his stroke. I didn't really run into any issues with people being rude. Could be because I had my 6'5" boyfriend there.

Just wanted to give this a bump because it is helpful. Dad also has aphasia so it is hard for him to make himself clearly understood but he is pretty fluent with the word NO. In fact it was one of the first words to come back after his stroke. Someone tried to bump him out of the way during Wishes and all I heard was No, No, NO, NO, NO. They moved.

My next trip I will be traveling with two ECV's. Pistol Packin Granny is going to be on a roll. Lord help anyone who gets in her way. Don't cut her off because she will run you over and give you a dirty look for being in her way. Should be interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter