My afternoon/evening in a wheelchair at Epcot

I am looking around for info on wheelchair for mom and came across this thread. It reminded me of two years ago, when my 15 year old daughter got sick in the park, 102 fever. It was hot and she looked very pale. I was going to bring her back to our room but insisted she wanted to stay. Against my better judgement, I let her stay and the first aid reccommended getting her a wheel chair. What a learning experience that was. Many times my daughter was asked why she was in her wheelchair (She wasn't up and about looking healthy either). At Fantasmic, we were put in the wheelchair section and I can't believe the rudeness of many of the people. Like other posters said, people just went and stood in front of her. Even when it was mentioned that they were blocking her, they STILL stayed there. One man asked "What's wrong with you? Were in in an accident or something?" She still remembers all the comments and rudeness. As of that time, I think my whole family is much more aware and is much more understanding.

Not all of us without wheels are terrible, but sadly many are.

I found out just how unusual we are in 2000, when we met a young boy at the Magic Kingdom. We were near the Carousel and my son was curious about the boy's wheelchair (decorated with lots of stickers) and went over to talk to the boy. He talked to him like a little boy talks to any little boy, not like he was one of the "things to see at Disney."

The mom was nearly in tears, she said after a moment that Matt was the first child to talk to her son all day (it was late afternoon) and that although he couldn't talk much she could tell he was excited to talk to another boy his age. He was gesturing and making very happy sounds.

The boy and Matt could enjoy each other even with Matt doing all the talking. Matt talked excitedly to the boy about his chair (it was really cool) and about the stickers (even cooler) and about the bag on the handles of the chair (which Matt thought was great too.) Matt talked about the rides he went on and the one they were going on next. When it was time to go the other boy tried to say goodbye to matt, it was unintelligible. I love my son...he said excitedly "Mommy he said bye to me!!!"

The other mom and I exchanged a look and knew that we both had made the other's day, a special thing had happened and we were both lucky to see it. She thanked me for "allowing" my son to talk to hers, no thanks were needed, I got to see my son at his best and that was a gift I will not soon forget.

At the time we didn't know our son very well, he was later diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. Maybe some disabilities have hidden benefits. Matt's lack of understanding about social interaction let him meet a boy who others didin't get to meet. Matt's disability let someone elses disability not matter for 5 minutes.

zizzyx said:
I am looking around for info on wheelchair for mom and came across this thread. It reminded me of two years ago, when my 15 year old daughter got sick in the park, 102 fever. It was hot and she looked very pale. I was going to bring her back to our room but insisted she wanted to stay. Against my better judgement, I let her stay and the first aid reccommended getting her a wheel chair. What a learning experience that was. Many times my daughter was asked why she was in her wheelchair (She wasn't up and about looking healthy either). At Fantasmic, we were put in the wheelchair section and I can't believe the rudeness of many of the people. Like other posters said, people just went and stood in front of her. Even when it was mentioned that they were blocking her, they STILL stayed there. One man asked "What's wrong with you? Were in in an accident or something?" She still remembers all the comments and rudeness. As of that time, I think my whole family is much more aware and is much more understanding.

That's all too common. I call it "vacation head syndrome".

People go on vacation and act in a "me first" state of mind.
Put those same people in a wheel chair and they will think again next time.

What we need is for the companies that make chairs get people more up to the eye level of others around.

All the best,
Alan

zizzyx, I understand how it feels to have people give you nasty looks and make comments when they see you in a wheelchair and your disability is not apparent. My disability is not noticable unless I'm very tired or get too hot.

I have advanced heart disease but for the most part I don't look disabled. When someone makes a snide comment like "whats wrong with you?!?!?" to me I usually reply as if it were a complement and thank them for telling me how good I look. Then quickly add "... for someone who has survived cancer, thirty heart surgeries and 5 heart attacks, that is!"

Maybe I'm just blissfully ignorant of my surroundings, but I've been so surprised by how much kindness and assistance I've gotten at all the WDW parks --- people opening restroom doors (why do they have to weigh so much???) help at food courts getting condiments for my hamburger and a zillion other things. I really believe people have become more educated and aware as the years go by.

You can tell when someone on an ECV or in a wheelchair is having a bad day. Be sure to smile and say hey! as you pass them in the parks to help cheer them up and let them know they aren't invisible. :wave: (especially if they are wearing the lime green of the DIS!) We can at least be kind to each other, even if some non-disabled folks are intent on being rude. I've met a lot of wonderful people this way and you don't have to get a crick in your neck looking up to talk with them! :thumbsup2

If you see 4 together in an ECV, Power wheelchair and manual wheelchair with a 5yo in it and someone pushing. That's me Bonny and MJ with whoever accompanied us to push MJ.

I know this post is mostly about people in wheelchairs and other people’s ignorance towards them.
But this post got me thinking about our trips to Disney and peoples ignorance and attitudes.
I have one leg and some other problems quite a visible disability with shorts on.
On our first trip to Disney 2002 I got so tired of people starring and talking behind my back that I got loads of Disney stickers from the C M’s and stuck them to my leg to give them something to look at a grate hit with the kids I might add.

Once on a Disney bus I got up off my seat in the middle off a very busy bus to let a very old lady with a walking stick sit down as no one at the front of the bus would move to let her sit down very ignorant as the old lady was very unstable and in need of a seat. I to was using a walking stick that day but she needed the seat more than me it just surprises how inconsiderate some people can be.

I have had persistent problems with my stump resulting in me being unable to stand for to long especially after walking around the parks all day. Because of this I try to watch the parades from the one of the disabled viewing areas with seats (I miss the disabled viewing area seating at the top of main street in front off the castle :sad2: )
Last year in MK we wear sitting in the disabled viewing area the one just across from the ferry loading dock the top left of the part (sorry don’t know the name)
A family came over looked at the barrier and moved it and sat down the cast member noticed them and asked them if they had a GAC and they said no. The cast member asked them to leave with them becoming very cheeky towards the CM then looked at me and said he’s not disabled why his he allowed to sit in this area what a bloody cheek I thought I wish I wasn’t but I am it just saddens me that some people can be so ignorant and uneducated.

One funny thing to finish with we wear sitting at the BW bus stop waiting for the bus as you do and this little girl walks up to me and smiles then taps my leg to see if its real her dad was mortified it was so funny.

So it doesn’t mater if you have a visible on hidden disability you will always get ignorant prats wear ever you go.

All the best
David

P.S
I spent almost 9 months in a wheelchair so I understand a bit what people are saying in this thread.

I have found this thread really informative. As I am new to this forum but not to Dis. I need a scooter now to go grocery shopping and anything with a lot of walking. I was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable about how people would think I was faking since I look healthy. Why I would care now I have know idea I would not hesitate when waiting in a long line at Disney to sit on the ground. So why would I care now, but I do. So I know people will look and I solved it in my own way just like the poster above. I have begun to decorate my scooter :moped: with Belle, her friends and Mickey. Should give people something else to look at. And hopefully bring a smile to some as we wait in line :)

Hi Everyone!

After my latest trip to WDW that ended on 6/3, I am sorry to report that the rudest place in the World is still Fantasmic, which is one of my favorite shows. On 5/30 while waiting for the show to begin. I once again witnessed all the deplorable behavior of years past.

I had people stand behind my ECV and a few were very resistant to move when a CM told them to. Mind you, I had already told them all that they would not be allowed to stay there and there was plenty of seating to the left of the stadium, but, it required a much longer walk for them. I even had one group of people inquire about the bleachers with "the blue lines on them". I explained that they were for people accompaining a person with a wheelchair or :moped: . The person then told me that all the spaces weren't full and if everyone would just "smush" up a little there would be room for them to sit there. I just stared at them. Fortunately, a CM came along a few minutes later and told them they couldn't stand there and to please keep moving.

The crowd movement between Spectromagic and Wishes wasn't much better. I stood in one spot for at least three minutes waiting for someone to let me cross between the Tomorrowland side of the sidewalk near the castle and the inner hub. A nice man finally interceeded for me and told people to let me through.

I must say though, after four trips in six years, I am much better about beeping my horn and telling people not to cut me off.

I'll be going back for two days in August with my Sister ,who is also on these boards, and one of my girlfriends. Me, DH and my Sister, are planning a trip next year with my parents who both use :moped: . That will be five people, three with :moped: . What a trip that will be! We are getting a 2-bedroom villa at Old Key West. Can't wait!

BTW, I usually rent from Care Medical. I've rented from Randy's in the past and liked them and their service. But Care guarentees me the scooter by 8am so we can get into the parks at opening. Randy's doesn't guarentee 8am delivery, so I would either get to the parks late or have to pay for an extra day, the day before to get there ontime. The price for both of them is the same.

tarkus said:
That's all too common. I call it "vacation head syndrome".

People go on vacation and act in a "me first" state of mind.
Put those same people in a wheel chair and they will think again next time.

What we need is for the companies that make chairs get people more up to the eye level of others around.

All the best,
Alan

my wife's got one when she raised it about six inches so she could see the parade someone behind her tried to force it down, and a kid or about 13/14 th
then stood on the back of it, soon got off though

I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories and life experiences.

I will keep all of this in mind not only next time at Disney but whenever I'm out and about.

I've used a chair a fair few times at WDW but the last few months things have got bad enough for me need one in the "real world". I must say, I actually find some people out there rather amusing. The woman giving me an evil look because she stopped in front of me on a down hill slope (I even managed not to run into her), the lady in the supermarket determined to run me down (she seemed to be waiting around every corner for me with an evil glint in her eye :rotfl:), and of course all the people that my magical invisibility cloak work on ;) . Oh well, they're good fun for a laugh, I'm just sorry that these wheels seem to stress them out so much (and cause them to want to mow me down with a trolley).

Along the same line as the stickers, I found the Poundland red, sparkly tinsel around the wheel spokes and foot pedals at Christmas seemed to attract a few smiles, as well as positive comments from other wheelchair users. I've recently invested in some motion activated blue flashy lights for the wheels (also Poundland), and they seem to be going down a treat too.

Along the same line as the stickers, I found the Poundland red, sparkly tinsel around the wheel spokes and foot pedals at Christmas seemed to attract a few smiles, as well as positive comments from other wheelchair users. I've recently invested in some motion activated blue flashy lights for the wheels (also Poundland), and they seem to be going down a treat too.
We meant to get some battery operated Christmas lights to put on my DD's wheelchair before our recent trip, but didn't get around to it. I didn't think of tinsel, but we could have used that.
I did see several people with flashy lights. I love those.

The lights I've got aren't Christmas ones, as such. They're designed for bikes and screw on over the air valve for the tires. They weren't very sensitive at first, then my dad took them apart and fiddled with them; now they light up almost as soon as you look at them :).

The lights I've got aren't Christmas ones, as such. They're designed for bikes and screw on over the air valve for the tires. They weren't very sensitive at first, then my dad took them apart and fiddled with them; now they light up almost as soon as you look at them :).

My oldest daughter had Mickey Mouse ones that we bought at WDW years ago. Now both girls have light up front wheels on their wheelchairs.

I've seen those. They won't work on any of my DD's wheelchairs because she has permanently sealed (foam filled) tires and doesn't have any air stems.
I do think those lights are really cool though.

My wife and I have saying your 3ft tall and invisible, we have people step over your footpegs when shopping. She always says I wish everyone could spend 1 day in a wheelchair it would open alot of eyes.

I have chronic health problems, and other than looking pale and tragic (sorry, clue reference) I look normal. However, i cannot stand or walk for more than about 1-2 hrs without a significant rest (i.e. i cannot go see a show to rest, I need to be in a bed). so this time (my 6th wdw trip) i am going to swallow my pride and use a chair. i will most likely end up in a chair eventually, so i like prolonging the inevitable.

i am purposefully renting a chair from off property, a manual chair, because i feel like people in wdw chairs get it worse. its like "you cant really be disabled, you dont even have your own chair." because of my very small size, my feet wont reach the ground, so i can remove the footrests, which will help with moving. i also am getting a manual chair, so I can move myself some.

my bf is insisting that i use a chair, because he knows i will make myself very ill if i dont, or i wont enjoy the trip (and this might well be a honeymoon trip).

there are times i use crutches simply to have some extra support when i walk. I think i will get forearm crutches for disney, so when i can walk, i will.

this thread is both wonderful and depressing. using a wheelchair right now would improve my quality of life dramatically (even just in the mall), but the social stigma keeps me from getting one.

i think the drs visits, etc tire me more than the disease does!

I say get a wheelchair, have a brilliant time and don't worry about what a few narrow minded..... people think. Since I've had all my wreckages, I've tried wdw without a chair, I ended up sitting on the floor in Norway close to tears. It really isn't worth being miserable, when a chair could mean you have a wonderful and magical holiday free from excess pain and anxiety.

invisible, we have people step over your footpegs when shopping.

When leaving a park you have people constantly cutting in front of you:cool1: . You see, I leave a little room when pushing my DW in her chair:woohoo: . Seems I have a problem, I can't just stop on a dime. It can take a foot to stop:scared1: . Sometimes it has literally taken a foot:lmao: . I remember one time in particular someone jumping infront of the foot rests and stopping dead. Can you say OUCH! :rotfl2: Sorry!, that's why I leave a little space! :flower3: Having your own chair is much better or renting offsite is much better than the hard wheeled ones you get at the park. Naumatic tires offer a much better ride.:idea: I put knobbies on her chair, the traction and ride are great. 99.9% of the CM are just superb. :banana:

When we were in the parks, I kept saying that there was a fine line between forging your way ahead of the masses and mowing people down. I think the closest I came to mowing someone down was when someone literally came out of nowhere from behind me. Some people just seem to lose their brains in the parks.

I like the idea of adding lights to my wheels. For those who have done that, can you be more specific about what you found. The only bike lights I've found seem to go on the spokes of the wheel, but my electric wheelchair doesn't have spokes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter