Must-see Kauai and Maui??

Oh my goodness... just looked up the chocolate tour. SOUNDS AMAZING!
A little pricey but it’s unique and it’s chocolate! Thanks for the suggestion.

Did you hear about it on the boards or know anyone who has gone?

I don't know anyone personally who has gone, but it gets great reviews on TripAdvisor. And I love chocolate. :)

I agree with a few of the above - In Kauai we really enjoyed the Princville area & beaches up on the north shore, Waimea canyon, Poipu beach (we were at it daily). I also did a helicopter tour on my own (my kids were too little) with Jack Harter Helicopter open door tour (I believe I did a 60-ish minute). It was my favourite thing about the trip. The photos I got were outstanding and it was a such a cool tour. Enjoy the trip!

After you go up to Haleakala , I recommend breakfast at Café Desamis in Paia, some of the best sweet or savory crepes I've ever had! Also just fun to walk around Paia town! Lahaina is also fun ,the huge banyan tree, boats, shops and restaurants, we like to eat at Kimo's for lunch, right on the water great view! A snorkel boat tour with a BBQ is awesome, some of the boats have a glass bottoms so the little ones can see the fish. Hike Twin Falls to see some water falls, Mote Marine Aquarium, Iao Valley is an interesting beautiful and historical place, it was flooded but I think it's open now!

Following here...we have an August trip to Hawaii...first time for many of us. We have 8 nights booked on Oahu (3 at Aulani) and then are thinking of hopping to one more island and was leaning towards Kauai for a few nights. Adults and teens, so looking for some fun things to do while there. Boys would be happy to find a place to just snorkel honestly. I'd really like to find a place where we can stay that's on the beach or walking distance so the kids could snorkel there, but that seems to be challenging. There are 9 of us total!

I agree with a few of the above - In Kauai we really enjoyed the Princville area & beaches up on the north shore, Waimea canyon, Poipu beach (we were at it daily). I also did a helicopter tour on my own (my kids were too little) with Jack Harter Helicopter open door tour (I believe I did a 60-ish minute). It was my favourite thing about the trip. The photos I got were outstanding and it was a such a cool tour. Enjoy the trip!

As I am trying to put together an itinerary, I’ve been looking at Waimea Canyon. How long would you need to see the highlights there? (We are staying in Poipu.) Is there a better time of the day to visit? Any “don’t miss” spots to pull off and stop?

Thanks for your input!

Following here...we have an August trip to Hawaii...first time for many of us. We have 8 nights booked on Oahu (3 at Aulani) and then are thinking of hopping to one more island and was leaning towards Kauai for a few nights. Adults and teens, so looking for some fun things to do while there. Boys would be happy to find a place to just snorkel honestly. I'd really like to find a place where we can stay that's on the beach or walking distance so the kids could snorkel there, but that seems to be challenging. There are 9 of us total!

Are you looking to extend your vacation or spending less time on Oahu?

As I am trying to put together an itinerary, I’ve been looking at Waimea Canyon. How long would you need to see the highlights there? (We are staying in Poipu.) Is there a better time of the day to visit? Any “don’t miss” spots to pull off and stop?

Thanks for your input!

I always hear that mornings are best, but I've been to Waimea multiple times in the mid to late afternoon and it's been beautiful. I usually stop at Waimea Canyon Lookout, Kalalau Lookout, and the Kokee Museum.

Thanks for your input!
We just did the drive through the park and then went to a look out spot (maybe about a 30 minute drive). We had an under 2 year old when we went so didn't do any hiking in the park (although the photos look beautiful). Maybe someone else can comment on how much time you should spend, sorry.

We just did the drive through the park and then went to a look out spot (maybe about a 30 minute drive). We had an under 2 year old when we went so didn't do any hiking in the park (although the photos look beautiful). Maybe someone else can comment on how much time you should spend, sorry.

This helps a lot because we will have a 1 yr. old with us and unless he’s asleep the drive might have to be a quick one! I doubt we will do any hiking.

I always hear that mornings are best, but I've been to Waimea multiple times in the mid to late afternoon and it's been beautiful. I usually stop at Waimea Canyon Lookout, Kalalau Lookout, and the Kokee Museum.[/QUOTE]

We are flying from Oahu in the morning and I was thinking of going to Waimea Canyon later that same day, so I’m glad to hear that afternoon is also a beautiful time to go!
Have you done the Pu’u o Kila Lookout?
My guide book is also recommending it.

Thanks!

Not sure the age or proficiency of your teens, but Poipu Beach and Lydgate Beach both offer protected snorkeling. "On the beach" accommodations are pretty scarce, we found, but there were several places close in Poipu. There's also good snorkeling up at Tunnels, according to my friend at work (he and his wife LOVE it there), but we didn't make it up there.

When we go back, I'm sorely tempted to go to Kapaa and act out the scene from Honeymoon in Vegas now that I discovered pay phones are still around in Hawaii!! "Is it Ka-pa-a or Ka-pa-A-a??" I normally can't stand Nicholas Cage but for some reason that was hilarious to me. YMMV....LOL

Are you looking to extend your vacation or spending less time on Oahu?

Extending for sure...the 8 nights in Oahu and then 3 or 4 MORE nights elsewhere afterwards.

Not sure the age or proficiency of your teens, but Poipu Beach and Lydgate Beach both offer protected snorkeling. "On the beach" accommodations are pretty scarce, we found, but there were several places close in Poipu. There's also good snorkeling up at Tunnels, according to my friend at work (he and his wife LOVE it there), but we didn't make it up there.

I'm wondering if this is in response to my question about where to stay. Definitely looking for something close to Poipu though, walking distance preferred but if that's not possible we'll just take close. I have 14 and 18 year old boys who are pretty good swimmers and who would spend all day snorkeling if the water was clear enough.

Extending for sure...the 8 nights in Oahu and then 3 or 4 MORE nights elsewhere afterwards.

I'm wondering if this is in response to my question about where to stay. Definitely looking for something close to Poipu though, walking distance preferred but if that's not possible we'll just take close. I have 14 and 18 year old boys who are pretty good swimmers and who would spend all day snorkeling if the water was clear enough.
Yes, i was replying to your question; sorry I don't have more info! I dug back through and found this thread I remembered seeing though; maybe a few things in there that might help:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/resort-like-aulani-on-maui-or-kauai.3614389/

Does anyone have suggestions for exploring the Na Pali Coast on your own? We want to spend a day there and are not taking any type of boat tours due to motion sickness issues. Doing the helicopter tour our first day. However, we are interested in places to stop, beaches not to miss or short hikes (I’m limited in distance walking).

Thanks tons!

As I understand there are no cars at the na pali cost, so without a hike, you won't get there (but we haven't been yet)
Oh no!!! That definitely would change things for us! I will do some digging...

Thanks for the heads up!

Oh no!!! That definitely would change things for us! I will do some digging...

Thanks for the heads up!
90% of Kauai is inaccessible by car. It feels like you're seeing tons of stuff when you're driving, though.

Yes, i was replying to your question; sorry I don't have more info! I dug back through and found this thread I remembered seeing though; maybe a few things in there that might help:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/resort-like-aulani-on-maui-or-kauai.3614389/

THANKS! Yes still trying to get things in motion, hoping we have plenty of time to plan and book flights and such, but we are moving things along.

90% of Kauai is inaccessible by car. It feels like you're seeing tons of stuff when you're driving, though.

Oh wow...so it is a pretty small island? I have ZERO frame of reference.

I think we are going to change up our touring plan and do Kauai FIRST for about 4 nights, then head to Oaho where we have 5 nights at one resort and the other 3 nights at Aulani. Sounds like Aulani is a great way to END the vacation? So I'm watching out for the flights to Kauai right now and back from Oahu. We are looking at various houses to rent in Kauai and hopefully we have plenty of time to make a decision on those. Right now there are 9 of us in the travel party, but only 7 may be on the first leg in Kauai.

THANKS! Yes still trying to get things in motion, hoping we have plenty of time to plan and book flights and such, but we are moving things along.

Oh wow...so it is a pretty small island? I have ZERO frame of reference.

I think we are going to change up our touring plan and do Kauai FIRST for about 4 nights, then head to Oaho where we have 5 nights at one resort and the other 3 nights at Aulani. Sounds like Aulani is a great way to END the vacation? So I'm watching out for the flights to Kauai right now and back from Oahu. We are looking at various houses to rent in Kauai and hopefully we have plenty of time to make a decision on those. Right now there are 9 of us in the travel party, but only 7 may be on the first leg in Kauai.

Kauai is roughly 23 miles long by 23 miles wide. Tiny. And AMAZING :)

Sounds like Aulani is a great way to END the vacation?

That's what we did and it worked out well for us. We knew we'd want relaxation time at the end of our trip and we knew we'd want to spend the most resort time at Aulani, so we opted to do Aulani last. By then, we had done most of the exploring we wanted to and were more acclimated to the time change so we fully enjoyed the resort and amenities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter