"Must have" items in your RV

scbelleatheart

DIS Veteran
So I have been going through boxes labeled RV. I have done motor homes before and the last RV was a park model (meaning we didn't haul it anywhere). Only 3 boxes and half of it I will not keep. One box was just ski vests!
Almost a whole new ballgame now. I am starting from ground zero pretty much. When I sold the last one 3 years ago I let every thing go with it. Custom fit bedding, small appliances, TV's.
So what would you have to have if you were starting from scratch? What do you keep in your RV and never unload?

. . . emergency kit
. . . beer
. . . pots and pans
. . . china and cups
. . . beer
. . . scotch (single malt)
. . . extra oil
. . . beer
. . . food stuffs
. . . scotch
. . . bungee cords
. . . yep, you guessed it

NOTE: I am certain others will have items for you to stock. I only
mentioned those I felt were mandatory and necessary for survival.

. . . emergency kit
. . . beer
. . . pots and pans
. . . china and cups
. . . beer
. . . scotch (single malt)
. . . extra oil
. . . beer
. . . food stuffs
. . . scotch
. . . bungee cords
. . . yep, you guessed it

NOTE: I am certain others will have items for you to stock. I only
mentioned those I felt were mandatory and necessary for survival.
Rustyscupper- I think you forgot duct tape :rotfl:

Camping Inventory & Tips List
What do I need and what do I need to know?
Shelter, Sleeping, Food and Clothing-the basics for camping
“Campers have smore fun!”

We hope this list will help you in your camping adventures. It’s a WHOLE lot of FUN! Good luck and Happy Camping!!!

BEDDING & BATH
Bedding- sheets (we use sheets because it’s usually too hot for sleeping bags) -blankets- (we use old down comforters-it’s lightweight)
-Pillows!!
-Extra blankets-winter/spring months -I keep these stored in the camper in plastic Ziploc XL bags or the clear zip up kind found @ Wal-Mart in the ironing board section (store with a used dryer sheet to keep the bedding from smelling musty)
-Mattress foam thingies (looks like an egg crate) on the beds-these do make a difference.
-*KID TIP: When my kids were young I bought them plain cheap pillow cases and they decorated them with fabric markers for big trips or simply a camping pillow case. I kept them now that they outgrew them.

Bath & Beach Towels- I bought the cheap Wal-Mart bath towels (keep in the trailer/RV) and we have Beach/Pool towels (Wal-Mart $6) that we keep in the trailer too. Tent camping you can place bath towels, sheets, blankets in a storage container as it will always be together and ready to go.

TOILETRIES/SHOWERS:
1) Shampoo/conditioner
2) Deodorant
3) Hairbrush
4) Toothbrush
5) Toothpaste
6) Soap
Clothes –seasonal (bathing suit or jacket)
Razors
Feminine Products
Medication-RX if needed
11) *Flip Flops for showers and pool-this prevents foot fungus
12) Toiletries bag-2 options I’ve seen the shower bags found at Bed, Bath and Beyond use a 20% off coupon. You can use the $1 caddy baskets with handle but they are cumbersome. Gal size Ziploc bag works too.
~ Mesh bag (beach type bag or grocery-reusable) for carrying your clothes to and from your campsite to the Comfort Station/Bathroom. ***You place your towel and clothes to the showers in the mesh bag (or reusable grocery bag)-so you aren’t taking lots of cumbersome duffle bags into the bathroom. There might be a line of people to shower and this saves time.
~ Long trips-use a garbage bag (tent camping) to place dirty clothes in or buy a folding hamper (RV camping)-while unpacking the dirty laundry is gathered already
~I suggest keeping your bath towels (wet) hooked or hung in the trailer. They should dry faster in the air conditioning vs. outside in the summer months. Pool/beach towels can be kept outside to dry in the sun. A FL lesson :-)
~KID TIP: I’ve never tried this (my kids are too old for this idea) but read it and thought it was a great tip for young children. Purchase a small blow up pool under $5-$10 for the kids. Place in the campground shower while the water is filling it up the kids can sit in it and wash up. It’s like a mini inexpensive tub. They aren’t on the floor of the shower they’re in the pool.

COOKING/KITCHEN
**If you are buying supplies separately buy in the kitchen section because it’s cheaper. You can use what you have in your kitchen-we have bought what we need separately since we go so often AND we don’t want to forget something like a can opener.
Cooking for camping is the same items you would need if you were cooking at home. ** TENT camping TIP: Once you’ve finished cooking your meal-before eating, heat up water in your kettle to do dishes.

1) Cooking kettle (like a teakettle) for heating water (to do dishes) or hot chocolate
2) Plastic tools-spatula, spoons, tongs etc.-cooking utensils (you will use) TIP: TENT camping-I’ve seen campers use those plastic 5 drawer storage carts (with wheels) for storing the tools, Ziploc bags, aluminum foil etc. They keep it next to the “food prep table” in a screened porch.
3) Napkins-Paper Towels (at least 2 rolls)
4) Dish strainer for drying dishes
5) Skillet, & 3 size cooking pots with lids (small, medium and large)-the large is a must for us-we cook spaghetti a lot
6) Measuring cup-this has come in handy.
7) *Can opener/Scissors-a MUST (the most forgotten items camping)
8) *Always keep baking soda on hand-(girl scout tip)-in case of a fire use baking soda on the fire to put it out.
9) Keep baking soda in your (RV) fridge while not in use-keep it fresh smelling
10) Knives-utility, paring, chef
11) Ziploc bags in different sizes for storing -qt. and gal sizes
12) Plates, plastic ware, cups, bowls (disposable or plastic)-I bought plastic bowls, plates, plastic ware ($1 Store or after summer sale)
13) Tablecloth (for picnic table) along with clips to hold it down (Camping section Wal-Mart, the red and white checkerboard kind-it holds up better than any of the others I’ve bought or the throw away at Walmart for $1) - the clips keep the tablecloth from flying away. Holidays-you can use a decorated tablecloth to represent a certain holiday. TIP: I also wash the tablecloths after a trip in the washer (with the towels)-just don’t put them in the dryer.
14) Aluminum Heavy Duty foil-non-stick Reynolds wrap for cooking
15) Dish soap-small for cleaning dishes (refill it when I get home)
16) Sponge for dishes the ones for the grill in the camping section-Wal-Mart
17) Potholders
18) Dish towels (at least 2-3)-for drying dishes
19) Wet ones (generic) (you don’t have a sink close by-it’s great for quick hand washing) Great when you have little ones. You can also use baby wipes.
20) Clorox Wipes are great quick clean ups…like wiping down the tablecloth because it’s out with the dirt all day. *Don’t confuse Clorox wipes with wet ones.
21) Pam-non-stick spray-the grill personal gas grill
22) Mixing bowl-to mix food or use for cut up fruit or chips-etc.
23) Hand mixer-small $6-$8-Wmart (mashed potatoes)-I know not real camping
24) Coffeemaker –if you drink coffee
25) Colander-for pasta
26) Spices-salt, pepper, etc. (your favorites)-$1 @ Wal-mart in camping section-or the S/P. -note the salt will get hard if you don’t put rice in it (we live in FL).
27) Toaster-$10 at Wal-Mart
28) Peeler- for potatoes or apples
29) Cutting Board
30) **Crock-pot is great for having your dinner cook all day then come back and eat-love this! MANY campers use this-us included (Our trip to DC-I set the crock pot each day for our dinner). It was great knowing I didn’t have to cook when I got back from walking all day.)
31) *Disposable containers-Glad ware is great for storing leftovers to heat up again later. These are great for storing butter, hotdogs, etc. in coolers from getting soggy. (if you don’t have a fridge)
32) Portable grill (Coleman) for pancakes, steak, chicken, anything-we LOVE ours
33) Microwave (we had one in our pop-up)
34) RV-Tip: Narrow trashcan inside trailer-found at Wal-Mart. Use kitchen size bags.
35) RV-Tip: Cleaners-Fantastic is recommended on our counters, a small bottle of bleach for just about anything, Windex-we have glass mirrors
RV-Tip: Hand soap for kitchen and bathroom
Stove-portable with propane/fuel if tent camping
Dutch Oven-if tent camping
39) Caddy for plates, napkins, plastic ware-this way it’s all together and you don’t have to make bunch of trips getting stuff on the table. Just grab and go.

FOOD-*
***Anything you would normally eat. You can pre make meals and freeze them-saving time and money. Pack non-perishable foods in paper grocery bags or reusable-then when you empty a bag-compact the bag for more room. Freeze bottled water then place in cooler to help with keeping the food or drinks cold.

Water-gallon for cooking-unless you have a water purifier (we buy our gallon water in a 6 pk. Box at Costco)-we store in our bathtub in the trailer-in case one leaks.

QUICK CHECK-LIST:
Bottled water
Fruit
Cereal
Instant oatmeal
Popcorn (microwave?)
Hot chocolate mix
Tea if you’re a tea drinker
Coffee-if you’re a coffee drinker
Sandwich meats
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo
Butter-squeeze and stick
Mac n cheese-always a favorite
Bacon/sausage
Pancakes
Creamer if you like coffee
Sugar
Salt & pepper –$1 camping section Wal-Mart
Spices-your favorites for cooking
Soup-great for camping-maybe a stew
Grill meat-steak, salmon, pork chops, chicken, ribs- to name a few
Eggs
Bread-sandwiches for lunch
Milk
Syrup
Smores -marshmallows, graham crackers, Hershey chocolate (it’s not camping without these)
Roast hot dogs
Spices
Onion
Spaghetti sauce and noodles
Salad & dressing
Baked potatoes
Baked Beans
Rice
Bagels
Cooking Spray (like Pam) and liquid too
Sloppy Joes
Tacos or Taco Salad
CROCK POT

**Planning Meals- pre-plan our meals each trip. I purchase what we need before we leave for the campgrounds. We plug in the fridge 2 days before we leave so it’s nice and cold. The day of leaving or the day before I purchase the perishables and place them into the fridge in the trailer. If we are gone on a long trip and stopping a night or 2 before arriving. I will only buy groceries for the days on the road. Then once at our destination I will get all the groceries. This is for space in fridge and in case the fridge breaks and the food doesn’t spoil for whatever reason.

GEAR/ SUPPLIES-
1) Garbage bags (we generally use one a day for trash) 30 gallon or higher
2) Flashlights-at least one heavy duty (for the bathroom in the evenings)-it gets dark out there
3) Compatible trashcan (I got mine at camping world) and love it. I hold the trash bag up with clothespins. ***Remember to keep the trash in your car at night or take it to the dumpster-the animals will find it if you forget.
4) Off spray (bug spray)-you’ll be sorry if you don’t bring this at least one bottle (Avon’s Skin So Soft works great-but expensive)
5) Off buckets for around the campsite for bugs-these are nice at least 2-found in the summer seasonal section at Wal-Mart if not garden section)
6) Firewood and charcoal for cooking and lighter fluid-*firewood found at the camp host site or the campgrounds camp store, ranger station
7) Matches or we suggest aim n flame-
8) Chairs folding-one for each family member at Wal-Mart or Sports Authority-Coleman brand
9) Skewers for roasting hot dogs or marshmallows over the fire camping aisle at Wal-mart
10) Sunscreen-of course we live in FL
11) Ant spray killer (always comes in handy)-we live in FL
12) Fly swatter-we live in FL (you would be surprise how often you use this)-Bee’s & Flies
13) Batteries on hand for everything battery- D’s, AAA, 9 volt and AA
14) Clothespins to hang towels to dry or for hanging string lights or clipping a bag of chips.
**15) Folding table to cook on which frees up the picnic table-all sites have grills (pits) and picnic tables-our RV came with a utility table
16) Electrical cord (outdoor kind)-for plugging in a fan (yes we have a fan for summer months)
17) Cooler--these aren’t cheap so I suggest Wal-Mart (COLEMAN makes a great insulated cooler-you can pack perishable food in one (if you don’t have a fridge) and drinks in another. Costco has these usually in spring and early summer
18) Quarters for buying ice or doing laundry-*Disney’s Ft. Wilderness-We go through $25 in a week @ Disney in the summer months. Lots of ice and wash towels at least once if staying for a week.
19) I keep laundry detergent on hand just in case something HAS to be washed. Long trips it’s needed or pool/beach towels.
20) Duraflame logs (generic) -only to be used to keep warm not for cooking. We use them as a fire starter. Found in camping section at Wal-mart
21) Ponchos-disposable (Wal-Mart $.88 a piece)-especially in the summer months you’ll need them.
22) FIRST AID KIT-a given! (Wal-Mart camping section)
23) Cell Phone chargers for your cell phone
24) Adult and Kids Tylenol
25) BIKES!-to ride around the campgrounds and with a bike lock found at Wal-Mart-learned the hard way!!!!!
26) Bike helmets-goes with above (maybe a bike pump)
27) Keys (extra set to trailer)-RV
28) Tools like hammer/mallet just in case-for tent stakes and a camp shovel. We bought a cheap tool set at Wal-Mart and it’s been the most handy cheap tools bag ever.
29) Broom-small dust buster for cleaning trailer. I use this almost everyday-especially when camping at the beach.
30) Rug/Mat at the door of the trailer/tent-keeps dirt out
31) Rope to hang the towels or hang towels in your screen room/canopy.
32) Lights-battery powered Coleman (tent) lantern or propane gas on picnic table). DO NOT USE propane light in your tent-Carbon monoxide poisoning. I’ve seen people plug in a utility light as well.
33) A canopy for sitting out of the sun-enclosed (Wal-mart-First-Up) the screen is separate –one of the best items we’ve bought. We place the picnic table under this.
34) *Old towels or rags for drying the picnic table or electrical cord if it’s wet for packing up to go home.
35) Stinger Ultra Zapper -Bug zapper-Lowe’s-it keeps the bug’s away-we hang it from our awning. Walmart now carries these and the accessories in the Garden Section
36) Toilet paper (you don’t need to use the RV kind in the RV section of Wal-mart as long as what you buy is biodegradable)-we use Scotts
37) FREEZER PACKS- bought 3 of these at Wal-Mart. Cooler/camping section. I use them in our (RV) fridge to keep it extra cold especially in the summer months. You can always freeze bottle water and do the same thing.
38) Plastic Shoe Rack-white and plastic found at Wal-mart in the iron/laundry section $3-$4). Keep outside trailer to hold shoes and flip flops to dry. When keeping shoes outside we didn’t want snakes or critters crawling into them and using them as shelter. So “hanging” the shoes is better. It also organizes our shoes so no one is tripping on them.
39) Cable cord (50 ft. or more)-for Disney to receive cable to your TV

RV-
1) Leveling blocks (Camping World)-leveling your RV-these go under your wheels if need-also use under your jacks.
2) Wheel blocks-orange (2pk) Wal-Mart-so your RV doesn’t roll away from you once detached from the car-these go at the wheels
3) Hose for water hook up-Wal-Mart too
4) Propane for cooking-Wal-Mart in small containers too
5) Outside lights on the awning (optional but nice to have)
-*If you have a gray (sink and shower water) and black tank (the toilet water)-toilet paper-deodorizer for grey and blank tank-Wal-mart-liquid not powder (we’ve tried both and liquid seemed to work MUCH better than powder). I pour gray liquid deodorizer down all the sinks and the tub/shower-then rinse it with hot water after tanks have been emptied.
6) Outdoor carpet/Rug found at Camping World-also a cheap green floor mat found at Wal-Mart $4-$6)-it’s great for getting the sand off your feet/shoes.
7) Clean Machine Step mats-2 they wrap around the 2 steps into your trailer. Color to match your TT-this greatly helps keep dirt out and most importantly you don’t slip when the steps are wet.

General Info. Lessons Learned:
~**I keep a Camping Folder (mine is a 5 pocket plastic) of all the campgrounds (maps) past and present to remember the good sites (so we get the right size site too)-shade is a must. Don’t forget to print the confirmation email for your site, maps, tickets for any theme parks etc.-keep in folder. Campground MAP-we drive around a new campground if we have time and mark the sites that will not fit our RV or have no shade or we simply don’t like and place an X on them. The ones that we like or work for us we circle. This way if our favorite campsite is already reserved we can go to our map for a good reference.
~ **Keep all food stored in a car locked or the RV especially at night. Raccoons will get your food and trash your site. -Ft. Desoto and Anastasia are famous for this.
~ Remember once you’ve bought the camping “equipment” it’s free the second trip out. It’s an investment at first but it’s nice to know you’re taking your bed and your things on your trips.~) ~Read www.disboards.com camping section for newbie camping info. “Camping Disney World”-great advice on that board-even pictures of camp set ups. A picture is truly worth a 1000 words!
~Camp close to home first trip-see what you might need after one day (write them down)-then go to Wal-mart and pick up the things you might need. Not everyone camps the same.
~ Info website- http://www.rv.net/
~The book “Next Exit” (found at Books a Million or Barnes and Noble or Wal-Mart online) is a good book to find what’s ahead to pull your RV in for food, campgrounds or gas. WONDERFUL book! There is an app.
~Never keep food stored in your RV while not in use. We live in FL
~Atlas for long trips in case the GPS dies or sends you to the wrong place. It’s happened to us.
~Deck of Cards and mini/travel “board” games in case you have a rainy weekend.
~ most items camping (90%) can be found at Wal-Mart- (inexpensive). Wal-Mart has a RV section usually located by the automotive section. What you can’t find at Wal-Mart you would find at Camping World.
*If you have old towels, kitchen tools, etc. Grab these and place in your “camping” items instead of buying.
~**When buying food etc. buy small containers like ketchup then after the trip you can refill it for the next trip. These will fit in the RV fridge- I keep these in a corner of the house fridge-then I grab and go for the next trip. (We camp monthly) Example- Ketchup, mustard, small creamer, etc.
~Moisture out! Keep the firewood covered so it will light (morning dew won’t help), fold up folding chairs at night in case of rain and morning dew-place under awning.
~ Bring a mini TOOLBOX- hammer, screwdriver, WD40, Duct tape, small shovel, axe, etc. you never know. We’ve used everyone of these items at one time or another. Walmart has a “kit” in a box for around $20. Ours has been a lifesaver.
~-Decorating- If you love decorating, you can decorate your RV/campsite seasonally-it’s so much fun (the kids love it)-flags at 4th of July, plastic Easter eggs for spring break/Easter, etc.
~**We keep separate towels, bedding, pots and pans, kitchen utensils, Ziploc bags etc. in the trailer so we never forget something since there is so much inventory to remember.
~I highly recommend a patio carpet (found at Camping World and Wal-Mart) for around $60. We bought an outdoor type patio carpet thinking we were smart (uh no!) Once it rained it was heavy and nasty. The nice plastic camping world version is lighter and easy to clean. It also helps cut down on the amount of sand/dirt in the trailer.
~ This is an extremely helpful website- http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/Tips_and_Advice.htm

Checklist when going & leaving:
~ Make sure gas (propane tanks in RV) is turned off before leaving campsite.
~ Make sure wheel blocks are under the wheels on the RV before unhooking from the vehicle
~ ALWAYS-Check break lights before leaving the campgrounds and home-RV
~ Make sure antenna is down before leaving-RV
~ Make sure the RV is level when you park it at the campground.
~ Make sure electrical cord is unplugged before pulling out of campsite or home-RV.
~ Always check tire pressure before leaving for a trip-helps with mileage and a blow out- RV

I second the crock pot. Get a couple of boxes of Reynolds disposable crock pot liners. I take them out of the box and stuff all of them into one of them and store them in the crock pot when not in use. You'll only have to wash the lid and spoon you used for stirring and serving if you use these liners.

I use the crock pot to warm up left overs as I don't have to keep an eye on them then. I can take a shower or read a few chapters of a book while it warms up.

I also use the crock pot to make fabulous oatmeal overnight. We wake up to a wonderful smelling breakfast. I use the old fashioned oats, not the quick-cooking ones. I add dried fruit (apricots, cranberries, etc.) and brown sugar and cinnamon with the water and oats.

I keep a small brush and dust pan to clean the picnic table and benches and the tarps and tent floor and bottom before packing it up.

I too collect condiments when I get fast food and store them in a used coffee jug. It sits on the picnic table and keeps the squirrels and raccoons out as the lid is screw on.

Rustyscupper- I think you forgot duct tape

1) How could I have possibly forgotten The Force.
2) Thanks for reminding me.
3) Just like Obi Wan and his Force.
4) Duct tape has
. . . a Light Side
. . . a Dark Side
. . . and it binds the universe together

Paul Harvey used to say that you only needed two things in your garage: Duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape. If it won't move and should, use WD-40.

I highly prize the:
Crockpot and liners
Jim Beam
Chairs
Fan and another fan
glasses for Jim Beam
10x10 canopy
tablecloth
I do take a 6 pack of beer for friends that show up and don't drink Jimmie (that includes you Scupper)
First Aid kit (that includes Jim Beam)
Leash for the dog
Leash for wife and kids
Flashlight and batteries
Tool kit
Griddle
and another bottle of Jimmie...just in case friends show up and do drink Jimmie

Camping Inventory & Tips List
What do I need and what do I need to know?
Shelter, Sleeping, Food and Clothing-the basics for camping
“Campers have smore fun!”

We hope this list will help you in your camping adventures. It’s a WHOLE lot of FUN! Good luck and Happy Camping!!!

BEDDING & BATH
Bedding- sheets (we use sheets because it’s usually too hot for sleeping bags) -blankets- (we use old down comforters-it’s lightweight)
-Pillows!!
-Extra blankets-winter/spring months -I keep these stored in the camper in plastic Ziploc XL bags or the clear zip up kind found @ Wal-Mart in the ironing board section (store with a used dryer sheet to keep the bedding from smelling musty)
-Mattress foam thingies (looks like an egg crate) on the beds-these do make a difference.
-*KID TIP: When my kids were young I bought them plain cheap pillow cases and they decorated them with fabric markers for big trips or simply a camping pillow case. I kept them now that they outgrew them.

Bath & Beach Towels- I bought the cheap Wal-Mart bath towels (keep in the trailer/RV) and we have Beach/Pool towels (Wal-Mart $6) that we keep in the trailer too. Tent camping you can place bath towels, sheets, blankets in a storage container as it will always be together and ready to go.

TOILETRIES/SHOWERS:
1) Shampoo/conditioner
2) Deodorant
3) Hairbrush
4) Toothbrush
5) Toothpaste
6) Soap
Clothes –seasonal (bathing suit or jacket)
Razors
Feminine Products
Medication-RX if needed
11) *Flip Flops for showers and pool-this prevents foot fungus
12) Toiletries bag-2 options I’ve seen the shower bags found at Bed, Bath and Beyond use a 20% off coupon. You can use the $1 caddy baskets with handle but they are cumbersome. Gal size Ziploc bag works too.
~ Mesh bag (beach type bag or grocery-reusable) for carrying your clothes to and from your campsite to the Comfort Station/Bathroom. ***You place your towel and clothes to the showers in the mesh bag (or reusable grocery bag)-so you aren’t taking lots of cumbersome duffle bags into the bathroom. There might be a line of people to shower and this saves time.
~ Long trips-use a garbage bag (tent camping) to place dirty clothes in or buy a folding hamper (RV camping)-while unpacking the dirty laundry is gathered already
~I suggest keeping your bath towels (wet) hooked or hung in the trailer. They should dry faster in the air conditioning vs. outside in the summer months. Pool/beach towels can be kept outside to dry in the sun. A FL lesson :-)
~KID TIP: I’ve never tried this (my kids are too old for this idea) but read it and thought it was a great tip for young children. Purchase a small blow up pool under $5-$10 for the kids. Place in the campground shower while the water is filling it up the kids can sit in it and wash up. It’s like a mini inexpensive tub. They aren’t on the floor of the shower they’re in the pool.

COOKING/KITCHEN
**If you are buying supplies separately buy in the kitchen section because it’s cheaper. You can use what you have in your kitchen-we have bought what we need separately since we go so often AND we don’t want to forget something like a can opener.
Cooking for camping is the same items you would need if you were cooking at home. ** TENT camping TIP: Once you’ve finished cooking your meal-before eating, heat up water in your kettle to do dishes.

1) Cooking kettle (like a teakettle) for heating water (to do dishes) or hot chocolate
2) Plastic tools-spatula, spoons, tongs etc.-cooking utensils (you will use) TIP: TENT camping-I’ve seen campers use those plastic 5 drawer storage carts (with wheels) for storing the tools, Ziploc bags, aluminum foil etc. They keep it next to the “food prep table” in a screened porch.
3) Napkins-Paper Towels (at least 2 rolls)
4) Dish strainer for drying dishes
5) Skillet, & 3 size cooking pots with lids (small, medium and large)-the large is a must for us-we cook spaghetti a lot
6) Measuring cup-this has come in handy.
7) *Can opener/Scissors-a MUST (the most forgotten items camping)
8) *Always keep baking soda on hand-(girl scout tip)-in case of a fire use baking soda on the fire to put it out.
9) Keep baking soda in your (RV) fridge while not in use-keep it fresh smelling
10) Knives-utility, paring, chef
11) Ziploc bags in different sizes for storing -qt. and gal sizes
12) Plates, plastic ware, cups, bowls (disposable or plastic)-I bought plastic bowls, plates, plastic ware ($1 Store or after summer sale)
13) Tablecloth (for picnic table) along with clips to hold it down (Camping section Wal-Mart, the red and white checkerboard kind-it holds up better than any of the others I’ve bought or the throw away at Walmart for $1) - the clips keep the tablecloth from flying away. Holidays-you can use a decorated tablecloth to represent a certain holiday. TIP: I also wash the tablecloths after a trip in the washer (with the towels)-just don’t put them in the dryer.
14) Aluminum Heavy Duty foil-non-stick Reynolds wrap for cooking
15) Dish soap-small for cleaning dishes (refill it when I get home)
16) Sponge for dishes the ones for the grill in the camping section-Wal-Mart
17) Potholders
18) Dish towels (at least 2-3)-for drying dishes
19) Wet ones (generic) (you don’t have a sink close by-it’s great for quick hand washing) Great when you have little ones. You can also use baby wipes.
20) Clorox Wipes are great quick clean ups…like wiping down the tablecloth because it’s out with the dirt all day. *Don’t confuse Clorox wipes with wet ones.
21) Pam-non-stick spray-the grill personal gas grill
22) Mixing bowl-to mix food or use for cut up fruit or chips-etc.
23) Hand mixer-small $6-$8-Wmart (mashed potatoes)-I know not real camping
24) Coffeemaker –if you drink coffee
25) Colander-for pasta
26) Spices-salt, pepper, etc. (your favorites)-$1 @ Wal-mart in camping section-or the S/P. -note the salt will get hard if you don’t put rice in it (we live in FL).
27) Toaster-$10 at Wal-Mart
28) Peeler- for potatoes or apples
29) Cutting Board
30) **Crock-pot is great for having your dinner cook all day then come back and eat-love this! MANY campers use this-us included (Our trip to DC-I set the crock pot each day for our dinner). It was great knowing I didn’t have to cook when I got back from walking all day.)
31) *Disposable containers-Glad ware is great for storing leftovers to heat up again later. These are great for storing butter, hotdogs, etc. in coolers from getting soggy. (if you don’t have a fridge)
32) Portable grill (Coleman) for pancakes, steak, chicken, anything-we LOVE ours
33) Microwave (we had one in our pop-up)
34) RV-Tip: Narrow trashcan inside trailer-found at Wal-Mart. Use kitchen size bags.
35) RV-Tip: Cleaners-Fantastic is recommended on our counters, a small bottle of bleach for just about anything, Windex-we have glass mirrors
RV-Tip: Hand soap for kitchen and bathroom
Stove-portable with propane/fuel if tent camping
Dutch Oven-if tent camping
39) Caddy for plates, napkins, plastic ware-this way it’s all together and you don’t have to make bunch of trips getting stuff on the table. Just grab and go.

FOOD-*
***Anything you would normally eat. You can pre make meals and freeze them-saving time and money. Pack non-perishable foods in paper grocery bags or reusable-then when you empty a bag-compact the bag for more room. Freeze bottled water then place in cooler to help with keeping the food or drinks cold.

Water-gallon for cooking-unless you have a water purifier (we buy our gallon water in a 6 pk. Box at Costco)-we store in our bathtub in the trailer-in case one leaks.

QUICK CHECK-LIST:
Bottled water
Fruit
Cereal
Instant oatmeal
Popcorn (microwave?)
Hot chocolate mix
Tea if you’re a tea drinker
Coffee-if you’re a coffee drinker
Sandwich meats
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo
Butter-squeeze and stick
Mac n cheese-always a favorite
Bacon/sausage
Pancakes
Creamer if you like coffee
Sugar
Salt & pepper –$1 camping section Wal-Mart
Spices-your favorites for cooking
Soup-great for camping-maybe a stew
Grill meat-steak, salmon, pork chops, chicken, ribs- to name a few
Eggs
Bread-sandwiches for lunch
Milk
Syrup
Smores -marshmallows, graham crackers, Hershey chocolate (it’s not camping without these)
Roast hot dogs
Spices
Onion
Spaghetti sauce and noodles
Salad & dressing
Baked potatoes
Baked Beans
Rice
Bagels
Cooking Spray (like Pam) and liquid too
Sloppy Joes
Tacos or Taco Salad
CROCK POT

**Planning Meals- pre-plan our meals each trip. I purchase what we need before we leave for the campgrounds. We plug in the fridge 2 days before we leave so it’s nice and cold. The day of leaving or the day before I purchase the perishables and place them into the fridge in the trailer. If we are gone on a long trip and stopping a night or 2 before arriving. I will only buy groceries for the days on the road. Then once at our destination I will get all the groceries. This is for space in fridge and in case the fridge breaks and the food doesn’t spoil for whatever reason.

GEAR/ SUPPLIES-
1) Garbage bags (we generally use one a day for trash) 30 gallon or higher
2) Flashlights-at least one heavy duty (for the bathroom in the evenings)-it gets dark out there
3) Compatible trashcan (I got mine at camping world) and love it. I hold the trash bag up with clothespins. ***Remember to keep the trash in your car at night or take it to the dumpster-the animals will find it if you forget.
4) Off spray (bug spray)-you’ll be sorry if you don’t bring this at least one bottle (Avon’s Skin So Soft works great-but expensive)
5) Off buckets for around the campsite for bugs-these are nice at least 2-found in the summer seasonal section at Wal-Mart if not garden section)
6) Firewood and charcoal for cooking and lighter fluid-*firewood found at the camp host site or the campgrounds camp store, ranger station
7) Matches or we suggest aim n flame-
8) Chairs folding-one for each family member at Wal-Mart or Sports Authority-Coleman brand
9) Skewers for roasting hot dogs or marshmallows over the fire camping aisle at Wal-mart
10) Sunscreen-of course we live in FL
11) Ant spray killer (always comes in handy)-we live in FL
12) Fly swatter-we live in FL (you would be surprise how often you use this)-Bee’s & Flies
13) Batteries on hand for everything battery- D’s, AAA, 9 volt and AA
14) Clothespins to hang towels to dry or for hanging string lights or clipping a bag of chips.
**15) Folding table to cook on which frees up the picnic table-all sites have grills (pits) and picnic tables-our RV came with a utility table
16) Electrical cord (outdoor kind)-for plugging in a fan (yes we have a fan for summer months)
17) Cooler--these aren’t cheap so I suggest Wal-Mart (COLEMAN makes a great insulated cooler-you can pack perishable food in one (if you don’t have a fridge) and drinks in another. Costco has these usually in spring and early summer
18) Quarters for buying ice or doing laundry-*Disney’s Ft. Wilderness-We go through $25 in a week @ Disney in the summer months. Lots of ice and wash towels at least once if staying for a week.
19) I keep laundry detergent on hand just in case something HAS to be washed. Long trips it’s needed or pool/beach towels.
20) Duraflame logs (generic) -only to be used to keep warm not for cooking. We use them as a fire starter. Found in camping section at Wal-mart
21) Ponchos-disposable (Wal-Mart $.88 a piece)-especially in the summer months you’ll need them.
22) FIRST AID KIT-a given! (Wal-Mart camping section)
23) Cell Phone chargers for your cell phone
24) Adult and Kids Tylenol
25) BIKES!-to ride around the campgrounds and with a bike lock found at Wal-Mart-learned the hard way!!!!!
26) Bike helmets-goes with above (maybe a bike pump)
27) Keys (extra set to trailer)-RV
28) Tools like hammer/mallet just in case-for tent stakes and a camp shovel. We bought a cheap tool set at Wal-Mart and it’s been the most handy cheap tools bag ever.
29) Broom-small dust buster for cleaning trailer. I use this almost everyday-especially when camping at the beach.
30) Rug/Mat at the door of the trailer/tent-keeps dirt out
31) Rope to hang the towels or hang towels in your screen room/canopy.
32) Lights-battery powered Coleman (tent) lantern or propane gas on picnic table). DO NOT USE propane light in your tent-Carbon monoxide poisoning. I’ve seen people plug in a utility light as well.
33) A canopy for sitting out of the sun-enclosed (Wal-mart-First-Up) the screen is separate –one of the best items we’ve bought. We place the picnic table under this.
34) *Old towels or rags for drying the picnic table or electrical cord if it’s wet for packing up to go home.
35) Stinger Ultra Zapper -Bug zapper-Lowe’s-it keeps the bug’s away-we hang it from our awning. Walmart now carries these and the accessories in the Garden Section
36) Toilet paper (you don’t need to use the RV kind in the RV section of Wal-mart as long as what you buy is biodegradable)-we use Scotts
37) FREEZER PACKS- bought 3 of these at Wal-Mart. Cooler/camping section. I use them in our (RV) fridge to keep it extra cold especially in the summer months. You can always freeze bottle water and do the same thing.
38) Plastic Shoe Rack-white and plastic found at Wal-mart in the iron/laundry section $3-$4). Keep outside trailer to hold shoes and flip flops to dry. When keeping shoes outside we didn’t want snakes or critters crawling into them and using them as shelter. So “hanging” the shoes is better. It also organizes our shoes so no one is tripping on them.
39) Cable cord (50 ft. or more)-for Disney to receive cable to your TV

RV-
1) Leveling blocks (Camping World)-leveling your RV-these go under your wheels if need-also use under your jacks.
2) Wheel blocks-orange (2pk) Wal-Mart-so your RV doesn’t roll away from you once detached from the car-these go at the wheels
3) Hose for water hook up-Wal-Mart too
4) Propane for cooking-Wal-Mart in small containers too
5) Outside lights on the awning (optional but nice to have)
-*If you have a gray (sink and shower water) and black tank (the toilet water)-toilet paper-deodorizer for grey and blank tank-Wal-mart-liquid not powder (we’ve tried both and liquid seemed to work MUCH better than powder). I pour gray liquid deodorizer down all the sinks and the tub/shower-then rinse it with hot water after tanks have been emptied.
6) Outdoor carpet/Rug found at Camping World-also a cheap green floor mat found at Wal-Mart $4-$6)-it’s great for getting the sand off your feet/shoes.
7) Clean Machine Step mats-2 they wrap around the 2 steps into your trailer. Color to match your TT-this greatly helps keep dirt out and most importantly you don’t slip when the steps are wet.

General Info. Lessons Learned:
~**I keep a Camping Folder (mine is a 5 pocket plastic) of all the campgrounds (maps) past and present to remember the good sites (so we get the right size site too)-shade is a must. Don’t forget to print the confirmation email for your site, maps, tickets for any theme parks etc.-keep in folder. Campground MAP-we drive around a new campground if we have time and mark the sites that will not fit our RV or have no shade or we simply don’t like and place an X on them. The ones that we like or work for us we circle. This way if our favorite campsite is already reserved we can go to our map for a good reference.
~ **Keep all food stored in a car locked or the RV especially at night. Raccoons will get your food and trash your site. -Ft. Desoto and Anastasia are famous for this.
~ Remember once you’ve bought the camping “equipment” it’s free the second trip out. It’s an investment at first but it’s nice to know you’re taking your bed and your things on your trips.~) ~Read www.disboards.com camping section for newbie camping info. “Camping Disney World”-great advice on that board-even pictures of camp set ups. A picture is truly worth a 1000 words!
~Camp close to home first trip-see what you might need after one day (write them down)-then go to Wal-mart and pick up the things you might need. Not everyone camps the same.
~ Info website- http://www.rv.net/
~The book “Next Exit” (found at Books a Million or Barnes and Noble or Wal-Mart online) is a good book to find what’s ahead to pull your RV in for food, campgrounds or gas. WONDERFUL book! There is an app.
~Never keep food stored in your RV while not in use. We live in FL
~Atlas for long trips in case the GPS dies or sends you to the wrong place. It’s happened to us.
~Deck of Cards and mini/travel “board” games in case you have a rainy weekend.
~ most items camping (90%) can be found at Wal-Mart- (inexpensive). Wal-Mart has a RV section usually located by the automotive section. What you can’t find at Wal-Mart you would find at Camping World.
*If you have old towels, kitchen tools, etc. Grab these and place in your “camping” items instead of buying.
~**When buying food etc. buy small containers like ketchup then after the trip you can refill it for the next trip. These will fit in the RV fridge- I keep these in a corner of the house fridge-then I grab and go for the next trip. (We camp monthly) Example- Ketchup, mustard, small creamer, etc.
~Moisture out! Keep the firewood covered so it will light (morning dew won’t help), fold up folding chairs at night in case of rain and morning dew-place under awning.
~ Bring a mini TOOLBOX- hammer, screwdriver, WD40, Duct tape, small shovel, axe, etc. you never know. We’ve used everyone of these items at one time or another. Walmart has a “kit” in a box for around $20. Ours has been a lifesaver.
~-Decorating- If you love decorating, you can decorate your RV/campsite seasonally-it’s so much fun (the kids love it)-flags at 4th of July, plastic Easter eggs for spring break/Easter, etc.
~**We keep separate towels, bedding, pots and pans, kitchen utensils, Ziploc bags etc. in the trailer so we never forget something since there is so much inventory to remember.
~I highly recommend a patio carpet (found at Camping World and Wal-Mart) for around $60. We bought an outdoor type patio carpet thinking we were smart (uh no!) Once it rained it was heavy and nasty. The nice plastic camping world version is lighter and easy to clean. It also helps cut down on the amount of sand/dirt in the trailer.
~ This is an extremely helpful website- http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/Tips_and_Advice.htm

Checklist when going & leaving:
~ Make sure gas (propane tanks in RV) is turned off before leaving campsite.
~ Make sure wheel blocks are under the wheels on the RV before unhooking from the vehicle
~ ALWAYS-Check break lights before leaving the campgrounds and home-RV
~ Make sure antenna is down before leaving-RV
~ Make sure the RV is level when you park it at the campground.
~ Make sure electrical cord is unplugged before pulling out of campsite or home-RV.
~ Always check tire pressure before leaving for a trip-helps with mileage and a blow out- RV

What a list! You gave me some good ideas of what I need or want. I didn't have 1/2 of that in my park model. Thank you!
What I do remember in a motor home was the sound of things clanking, like pots and pans or dishes. I always bring a small leaf blower vacuum to clean up the pad. Crazy yes! but dirt on the pad drives me nuts.

1) How could I have possibly forgotten The Force.
2) Thanks for reminding me.
3) Just like Obi Wan and his Force.
4) Duct tape has
. . . a Light Side
. . . a Dark Side
. . . and it binds the universe together

Funny you mention that product! We are subcontractors for them. I guess they paid for my RV:cool1:

We have a park model too so my list wouldn't be so extensive. Funny how every year we start with almost nothing but by fall there is tons of stuff in our trailer and we can't figure out how to get it all home.

Things we specifically keep in our RV that we don't need at home:
*awning tie-down and de-flapper clamps
*rubbermaid bins to store things in -- keeps them dampness and pest free
*sunlight dish soap, for cleaning almost everything
*a plastic laundry hamper - because we can carry it right to the laundromat or take it out to do laundry at home
*over-the-door coat hooks -- just can't stand not having a place to hang coats and bags
*battery operated fly swatter -- zapping them is so much easier than trying to catch them
*a swiffer
*2 door mats - one inside, one outside, so you don't have to swiffer too much

Btw, we live in our trailer all summer :)

We have a park model too so my list wouldn't be so extensive. Funny how every year we start with almost nothing but by fall there is tons of stuff in our trailer and we can't figure out how to get it all home.

Things we specifically keep in our RV that we don't need at home:
*awning tie-down and de-flapper clamps
*rubbermaid bins to store things in -- keeps them dampness and pest free
*sunlight dish soap, for cleaning almost everything
*a plastic laundry hamper - because we can carry it right to the laundromat or take it out to do laundry at home
*over-the-door coat hooks -- just can't stand not having a place to hang coats and bags
*battery operated fly swatter -- zapping them is so much easier than trying to catch them
*a swiffer
*2 door mats - one inside, one outside, so you don't have to swiffer too much

Btw, we live in our trailer all summer :)
Redrose, I know what you mean! We always had way more to take home in the fall and wondered where it all came from. And that was usually in frigid weather because the winds would be coming in off Lake Erie.
A Swiffer is good because the new MoHome (that is what my kids always called them) has tile floors. The other had carpet.
I have never seen a battery operated fly swatter but I will have to find one. I couldn't hit a fly if it just sat in front of me perfectly still.
I kept the inside/outside mats, rubber bins and awning tie downs.
Your suggestions were very helpful. Thank you!:goodvibes

About those battery operated fly swatters, do you have the one that looks like a tennis racket or the one that actually has sound effects when you kill the bug? I found both on Ebay and it is a must buy just for the humor of it!:lmao:

I second the crock pot. Get a couple of boxes of Reynolds disposable crock pot liners. I take them out of the box and stuff all of them into one of them and store them in the crock pot when not in use. You'll only have to wash the lid and spoon you used for stirring and serving if you use these liners.

I use the crock pot to warm up left overs as I don't have to keep an eye on them then. I can take a shower or read a few chapters of a book while it warms up.

I also use the crock pot to make fabulous oatmeal overnight. We wake up to a wonderful smelling breakfast. I use the old fashioned oats, not the quick-cooking ones. I add dried fruit (apricots, cranberries, etc.) and brown sugar and cinnamon with the water and oats.

I keep a small brush and dust pan to clean the picnic table and benches and the tarps and tent floor and bottom before packing it up.

I too collect condiments when I get fast food and store them in a used coffee jug. It sits on the picnic table and keeps the squirrels and raccoons out as the lid is screw on.

Never knew these even existed. I use the Reynolds turkey bags every holiday; makes clean up a breeze. How on earth have I missed the crock pot liners?
Thank you!

All posted is very good info but the # of a goo tow and repair for any area you are traveling to is also IMO a must. Check site iRV2 with over 100,000 members with every type RV and have lived about every problem is good for help info.

The list of stuff is long, but I do try to make it a habit to empty out each cabinet once a year and sort through it. Its surprising how much "stuff" you aquire over time. I have enough in the camper to cook, clean, entertain, I have a portable BBQ, about 5 chairs a spare 10x10 canopy with sides to act as additional space or for colder weekends where open awning is not the best. The rest of the gear hoses, cords, etc are the same thing any RV would have and I go through them and replace as needed.

The kitchen is pretty much a duplicate of all the major items you would use at home, but the not so often used items we just pack as part of the trip if we need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter