Must get Max Passes and early morning rides.

reading this thread - can't help but think that Disneyland figured out a way to make more money out of people like me that can absolutely collect a million fastpasses (and use them) while still letting me do that - while WDW went the other way and said "nope - not going to let you ride too many rides in one day."
I really do not come to that conclusion. I would put Disney's view this way:

WDW is viewed by most of its guests as a vacation destination. As such, people spending their vacation and time and money want to be able to do things like sleep in, enjoy their hotel, relax, and come to the parks late if they want - without feeling like they are penalized and cannot get on their favorite rides. Let's give them a system where they can reserve their favorite three rides in advance and be sure to at least get on those rides while on their vacation..

DLR is viewed by most of its guests as a local Southern Californian and Disney historical treasure. We have many people there interested in Annual Passes for which we have to keep the parks fresh and the scenery ever-changing. We also have many people there who decide to visit on a whim, and often for very short visits. Let's give them a FP system where they can make plans at the last minute and just show up and navigate whatever crowds may happen to be there that day.​

WDW FP+ does have its advantages. I like MP more than FP+ but that is mostly because I tend to rope drop parks and MP gives advantage to the rope drop people. But at WDW I do really love being able to take a day off, show up in the evening to catch a show, and have three FPs for rides at night waiting for me. I only do one or two of these days per trip over 6-9 days, but I like FP+ especially on those days.

:wizard:

I really do not come to that conclusion. I would put Disney's view this way:

WDW is viewed by most of its guests as a vacation destination. As such, people spending their vacation and time and money want to be able to do things like sleep in, enjoy their hotel, relax, and come to the parks late if they want - without feeling like they are penalized and cannot get on their favorite rides. Let's give them a system where they can reserve their favorite three rides in advance and be sure to at least get on those rides while on their vacation..

DLR is viewed by most of its guests as a local Southern Californian and Disney historical treasure. We have many people there interested in Annual Passes for which we have to keep the parks fresh and the scenery ever-changing. We also have many people there who decide to visit on a whim, and often for very short visits. Let's give them a FP system where they can make plans at the last minute and just show up and navigate whatever crowds may happen to be there that day.​

WDW FP+ does have its advantages. I like MP more than FP+ but that is mostly because I tend to rope drop parks and MP gives advantage to the rope drop people. But at WDW I do really love being able to take a day off, show up in the evening to catch a show, and have three FPs for rides at night waiting for me. I only do one or two of these days per trip over 6-9 days, but I like FP+ especially on those days.

The problem with the WDW approach is that you are still left with very little chance if having a FP for the most indemand rides like Slinky and Flight of Passage. Whereas at DL you can get any ride you want. I don’t think even RSR runs out before noon most days does it? I’m not even really sure how it’s possible that anyone can get what they want at DL and the same isn’t true at WDW. I assume the distribution rate is similar.

@HydroGuy appreciate your response.

Can't really disagree as I did experience the...restfullness...that came at WDW as a result of not chasing fastpasses.

But I think my original point stands - DL found a way to cater to at least two sets of fans - the normal local goer and the super duper type A like me - while WDW went all in on the vacation destination crowd. I wish WDW could still cater to me too.

The problem with the WDW approach is that you are still left with very little chance if having a FP for the most indemand rides like Slinky and Flight of Passage. Whereas at DL you can get any ride you want. I don’t think even RSR runs out before noon most days does it? I’m not even really sure how it’s possible that anyone can get what they want at DL and the same isn’t true at WDW. I assume the distribution rate is similar.
For anyone who does not stay at a Disney hotel you are quite right. But we are really talking about the top 3 rides across all four parks. For the others you can get FPs.

I do not want to be a big defender of FP+ here. I prefer MP.

@HydroGuy appreciate your response.

Can't really disagree as I did experience the...restfullness...that came at WDW as a result of not chasing fastpasses.

But I think my original point stands - DL found a way to cater to at least two sets of fans - the normal local goer and the super duper type A like me - while WDW went all in on the vacation destination crowd. I wish WDW could still cater to me too.
Actually I agree with you here, but in your PP you said something quite different. At least that is how I read it.

Some folks (not you that I have seen, or anyone in this thread really) are complaining about how DLR is charging for MP (and increasing it from $10 to $15 a day) while WDW offers FP+ for free. So there are two sides here. I would prefer MP at WDW except on days I know I want to come late. I rarely have "come late" days at DLR and, when I do, I usually just plan to see a show that night or something and pick up any cancelled FPs that pop up.

For anyone who does not stay at a Disney hotel you are quite right. But we are really talking about the top 3 rides across all four parks. For the others you can get FPs.

I do not want to be a big defender of FP+ here. I prefer MP.

I always stay at a Disney resort. But always shorter trips. This last trip was my longest ever at 6 nights and 7 days. FoP and Slinky were not an option until days 5, 6 and 7. That’s just way less appealing. I’m so excited to be able to ride every ride I want every day without having to refresh over and over and hoping to get lucky. Even the top ride at DLR you can get 2-3 FP in a single day.

i wonder if WDW could come up with a hybrid. It’s just so strange how much easier it is at DL. Is it due to so many being locals so they aren’t trying to get a FP for RSR every time they go?

Last edited:
I always stay at a Disney resort. But always shorter trips. This last trip was my longest ever at 6 nights and 7 days. FoP and Slinky were not an option until days 5, 6 and 7. That’s just way less appealing. I’m so excited to be able to ride every ride I want every day without having to refresh over and over and hoping to get lucky. Even the top ride at DLR you can get 2-3 FP in a single day.

i wonder if WDW could come up with a hybrid. It’s just so strange how much easier it is at DL. Is it due to so many being locals so they aren’t trying to get a FP for RSR every time they go?
I don't know but I would guess that the DLR parks having a higher concentration of rides and E-tickets is part of the reason. Imagine if WDW took all of their rides into just two parks. It would make FOP and SDD much easier to get. I got FOP at 60+2 days and SDD at 60+5 pretty easily for a trip starting March 1. I even got 7DMT at 60+1. All around 11AM or Noon. So not bad.

Whether (a) you purchase your tickets with MP already on them or whether (b) you purchase MP after you activate your tickets at the gates, you can book your first FP as soon as all of you go through the gates and all of you have MP. So if (a), grab your first FP as soon as you get through the gates. If (b), then grab your first FP after purchasing MP for your family. There's no reason to wait until you're in line for a ride unless you forgot to book your FPs earlier.

So quick question .. Ive tried taking a break from obsessing about DL for a little while LOL .. Do you think theres a chance SWGE would be open June 1st? I know they said June and theres been talk about openings and when people think its possible. For some openings VIP tours, media, then full opening. Im wondering if theres a chance it would be open the first week of June? If so then I think it def would be wise for us to wait till Sept but if not then maybe June would be better?

So quick question .. Ive tried taking a break from obsessing about DL for a little while LOL .. Do you think theres a chance SWGE would be open June 1st? I know they said June and theres been talk about openings and when people think its possible. For some openings VIP tours, media, then full opening. Im wondering if theres a chance it would be open the first week of June? If so then I think it def would be wise for us to wait till Sept but if not then maybe June would be better?

There is always a chance but it more than likely won't be open for everyone until the mid/end of the month.
More of a possibility for a Sneak Preview extra charge event happening on that day.

... If so then I think it def would be wise for us to wait till Sept but if not then maybe June would be better?
Well, I agree with the pp. But regardless of SWGE, the weather will be better in June than in September. June is actually cooler (normally) -- marine layer (aka fog/overcast) in the mornings, sunny afternoons, cool evenings -- you can get a lot done during the cooler times. September is a hot month out here. (Not unusual to hit triple digit heat kind of hot.) Santa Ana wind season can start then -- which means hot, dry winds which can cancel fireworks. (If the winds are really bad, they also can interfere with other shows and rides.) In early September, DLR is usually back to the low/non-peak schedule (shorter hours, lower staffing, more refurbs, rides running at lower capacity, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc.) HM will be down for the Halloween overlay. SM will go down for a few days for the Halloween overlay. When Halloween Time starts (around the second week of September), it will get crowded. I'd take June!

4:55AM Colorado time! :surfweb: Yes a super plan on my spreadsheet and order to book FPs. It is crazy :crazy2: but has some nice side benefits once you are actually there. :cool2:

I have the luxury of the 6:00AM opening slot, but I've got to be up and ready (computer on and logged in, spreadsheets with FP booking order :coffee: & a very large cup of coffee) by 5:30AM with a contingency for internet service interruption. Insane is the terminology used by non-Disney folk that I've described the process to. I love to come across people that are willing to spend thousands on a WDW vacation but are just going to wing-it...:lmao:

4:55AM Colorado time! :surfweb: Yes a super plan on my spreadsheet and order to book FPs. It is crazy :crazy2: but has some nice side benefits once you are actually there. :cool2:

Have you been on FOP yet? We rode it last Feb and it was hands down one of the best rides Ive been on .. IMO that is. My whole family loved it and even my husband who doesn't really get excited by rides much got off and said "Wow that was pretty awesome" :)

Well, I agree with the pp. But regardless of SWGE, the weather will be better in June than in September. June is actually cooler (normally) -- marine layer (aka fog/overcast) in the mornings, sunny afternoons, cool evenings -- you can get a lot done during the cooler times. September is a hot month out here. (Not unusual to hit triple digit heat kind of hot.) Santa Ana wind season can start then -- which means hot, dry winds which can cancel fireworks. (If the winds are really bad, they also can interfere with other shows and rides.) In early September, DLR is usually back to the low/non-peak schedule (shorter hours, lower staffing, more refurbs, rides running at lower capacity, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc.) HM will be down for the Halloween overlay. SM will go down for a few days for the Halloween overlay. When Halloween Time starts (around the second week of September), it will get crowded. I'd take June!

Ok thanks!!! I have to try and convince the husband to now go then. I am worried its not even going to happen in 2019 :( With us building a brand new house to be done in May and possibly getting farm animals right after. It will be hard to convince him to get away June 1. But Im working it. We have time in the future of course Im just anxious to go.

Have you been on FOP yet? We rode it last Feb and it was hands down one of the best rides Ive been on .. IMO that is. My whole family loved it and even my husband who doesn't really get excited by rides much got off and said "Wow that was pretty awesome" :)
Twice on opening day and then day #2! It would be my favorite WDW ride except it makes me feel a little sick. But it is up there though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter