Muppets Reboot?

I’ll give them credit. Disney is trying to have a lot of stuff ready for their new streaming service.

If they are going to reboot again, they have got to get their act together and stick with it.

People love the muppets and it will be really great addition to the streaming service but the constant reboots, isn’t good for the muppets brand.

I really want it to do well because I don’t ever want them to leave Hollywood studios

I think they should go back to the original show concept...the key there is getting really good writers. I *loved* the muppet show when I was younger, and since there hasn’t been anything like it in recent times, it may almost seem like a fresh concept. I hated the edginess of the most recent version of the show.

I think they should go back to the original show concept...the key there is getting really good writers. I *loved* the muppet show when I was younger, and since there hasn’t been anything like it in recent times, it may almost seem like a fresh concept. I hated the edginess of the most recent version of the show.
To be fair, the edginess of the original show was the original concept. The late night appearances in the 1960s, pre-Sesame Street and long before The Muppet Show, were not children's entertainment. The appearances on Saturday Night Live in the early 70s were also pretty edgy. Sure the Muppets are most known for Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, and the children's movies, but the original concept was more in line with the most recent reboot... which just wasn't very good.

I think they need to decide what the Muppets are. Personally I think they work best as childrens characters.

To be fair, the edginess of the original show was the original concept. The late night appearances in the 1960s, pre-Sesame Street and long before The Muppet Show, were not children's entertainment. The appearances on Saturday Night Live in the early 70s were also pretty edgy. Sure the Muppets are most known for Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, and the children's movies, but the original concept was more in line with the most recent reboot... which just wasn't very good.

I think they need to decide what the Muppets are. Personally I think they work best as childrens characters.

I guess my use of “edginess” had more to do with Piggy and Kermit being divorced, Kermit seemed much more pessimistic, etc. It was like 30 Rock meets The Office, but not nearly as funny. I didn’t watch enough to really pinpoint specific things, but enough to know I didn’t like the direction.

It must be tough to strike that balance between kid-friendly but a little adult humor. Many of the Pixar films (esp. Toy Story) were great at achieving that balance.

The last show didn't really work. On the surface it was similar to the original - behind the scenes of a popular "live" format (variety show in the 70's which were all over the place, talk show now) but it was too serious, too dark. The original was edgy and adult oriented, but in a lighthearted way that could translate to kids (and many of the "adult" jokes went over our heads.) That wasn't the latest.

I hope they go back to a format that has a "special guest star." I think it helped keep the original fresh as they wrote to the star. Maybe not a variety show as most kids wouldn't know what that was, but I could see a sketch-based show like SNL.

but I could see a sketch-based show like SNL.

You're, of course, entitled to that perfectly reasonable viewpoint, but I would hate it!

Although I admit that I don't have a perfect recall of the (most recent) Muppet Show, I don't recall anything overly "dark" or too serious. It felt like a comedy to me, and that's how I recall it.

I certainly don't recall it being darker than the most recent films, which are well liked by most.

Personally I believe that if they are going to reboot as a TV show it better be like the original Muppets show. Otherwise I would’ve preferred this reboot come in the form of movies, but I’ll take what I can get

I wonder if Jason Segel would be interested in getting on board for the series. His reboot movie was a labor of love and felt true to the characters. The sequel made without him felt cobbled together and without direction.

I gave the ABC series maybe half an episode. It felt wrong in a lot of ways that trying to ride out the growing pains didn't seem worth it.

I really liked the most recent TV series that aired on ABC. I was disappointed that they cancelled it.

I was too. When you look about at many TV comedies, including many classics, a significant number of them really didn't find their stride until they were into the 2nd season. The Muppets did end better than it started. These days networks don't give shows enough time to work out the kinks and find and audience.

I was too. When you look about at many TV comedies, including many classics, a significant number of them really didn't find their stride until they were into the 2nd season. The Muppets did end better than it started. These days networks don't give shows enough time to work out the kinks and find and audience.

totally agree.

Well, I'm not surprise that they're going to be on the streaming service this time. But, I'm happy that Disney care for The Muppets even though Muppets Most Wanted and The Muppets TV Show sadly didn't do well. Let's hope they have a better life on Disney Streaming Service.

You're, of course, entitled to that perfectly reasonable viewpoint, but I would hate it!

Although I admit that I don't have a perfect recall of the (most recent) Muppet Show, I don't recall anything overly "dark" or too serious. It felt like a comedy to me, and that's how I recall it.

I certainly don't recall it being darker than the most recent films, which are well liked by most.

They could kind of do a mix of the two. Have it be like the other shows including the original and have it be focused on the behind the scenes stuff of the show with the characters but have the show they are working on be a sketch show and we see those sketches some. Can still keep the aspect of special guest starts as well.

I hope they go back to a format that has a "special guest star." I think it helped keep the original fresh as they wrote to the star. Maybe not a variety show as most kids wouldn't know what that was, but I could see a sketch-based show like SNL.

They technically had guest stars in the 2015 show but they were poorly implemented. I noticed that all the guest stars were either there to be a foil/antagonist or to be a punchline. Nothing about their appearances were entertaining, fun, or memorable. It almost seemed like they took the lazy approach by making the show a talk show so they could have their celebrity appearances and not have to write actual skits.

I'd be cool with a "Muppets Tonight" style reboot.

Muppets Tonight was a very underrated reboot. More loyal to the original concept of The Muppet Show than that travesty that was the 2015 series.

Seems like I’m the only one here who loves Muppets Most Wanted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm in a huge minority here but I HATED the 2011 Jason Segel film. I came out of the theater thinking "I waited over a decade for the Muppets to the big screen for this?!!!" None of the new characters were interesting and were given almost all the songs. The movie treated the Muppets more like a plot device and barely had them be true to their original characterizations. The celebrity appearances just became annoying and overkill. And to me it was just too WANGSTY. I get that the Muppets had heart and emotion and all of that. But they went overkill on that too, to the point where I just stopped caring. The Muppets were just so depressing in this movie and not in a fun way.

So my expectations were low with Muppets Most Wanted. But soon as the first musical number happened, I never felt so happy. This was the Muppet movie I waited years for! The Muppet were the stars, actually led the musical numbers, were far less depressing, and they thankfully scaled back on the celebrity appearances. I had far more fun watching Most Wanted and felt like I was watching a true Muppet movie of old. The fact that this was less popular than the 2011 film makes me truly believe that many people today don't really grasp what made the Muppets good at all. But that's just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!