• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MS is worse should I go?

BETTYDISNEY

Mouseketeer
hi everyone!

I guess I just want some advice from you guys. my ms is getting worse and I am not sure if I can handle another trip . I am no longer able to transfer from my wheelchair and I am afraid I will not enjoy my trip and I'm afraid of the plane trip with the transfers and all. we would really like to go again but I guess I'm just scared. do you guys think I can still do this without being able to move. please let me know your thoughts.

Even if you can't transfer, there are still a lot of things you can enjoy without leaving the wheelchair. So, there would still be many things you could do and I do think you would enjoy yourself.
There are totally accessible hotel rooms, and you can either bring or ren t equipment that you need with you, so that part may not be easy, but it would be do-able.

There are some times when you would have to make a transfer - like the airplane. A lot would depend on how comfortable you are with the people who would be helping you to transfers. I guess I always think of Christopher Reeve when I think of someone who had a lot of obstacles to air travel. He traveled a lot and was not able to move at all. So, if he was able to overcome the obstacles to travel, practically anything is possible.

I know very little about MS, but I do have a condition (SMA) that makes it difficult to transfer in and out of my wheelchair. I am also overweight and my wife is therefore unable to assist me. I can just about stand up provided I have something to hang on to but I can't move around.

This doesn't stop me visiting WDW most every year. WDW is ine of the few places that I can vacation in my power wheelchair, travelling around in 42 square miles of parks, shopping & hotels with fully accessible transport. I can do this on my own, without help whilst my wife sits by the pool.

I fly from London UK and have no problem with the aircraft, I ride my chair to the gate and the ground crew transfers me to my seat in a special chair, narrow enough to fit between the seats.

I only ever get out of my chair in my room, though I want sometime to try out the chairs you can ride into the zero entry pools. I manage sliding transfers on and of the toilet, though next trip I intend to take my own booster seat to bring the level of the toilet up to the level of my chair.

I rearrange furniture in my room to give me something solid next to my bed to pull on when making the transfer in and out of bed.

Just the once I have ended up on the floor. (I managed to switch my chair on by accident when transferring back into it from the toilet - the chair shot off to the other side of the room and I ended up on the floor!). Disney staff are not alowed to help, but the Reedy Creek FD sent over an ambulance crew to lift me back into my chair. (at no cost).

I never transfer to rides, but I still find plenty to do and wouldn't miss my trips to WDW.

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter